RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #1

Headlights (only) quit working

I have a 2004 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40KD and suddenly all 4 headlights quit working, both high and low beams. All other exterior lights are operating properly and I'm having no other electrical issues. Can anyone tell me where the fuse or breaker (or whatever) is located? I've checked the manual(s) and have not found the location of these parts. Any help is appreciated.
RedLamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

What chassis is the RV on? Headlights should have fuses in the chassis fuse panel. It's not usual for all 4 lights to be on one fuse, so I'd suspect either the light switch on the dash or a relay that handles the large amp load of the headlights. Again, chassis information is needed to be more specific.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #3

Spartan

It is on a Spartan chassis. I suspect the light switch on the dash is the problem but for future reference wanted to know where the other possibilities were on the chassis.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Most every Spartan bus or RV I've seen has an electronics compartment in front of the front right tire. Look in there for circuit breakers or fuses that control all chassis/driving functions.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #5

There is an electric compartment inside the door just forward of the driver's side front tire. The labeling in there leaves a lot to be desired. Inside there is a
metal panel blocking my view of the fuses that is not shown in the owner's manual. There are lots of fuses and plug-ins so I am reluctant to start pulling fuses to see what shuts down.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLamar View Post
There is an electric compartment inside the door just forward of the driver's side front tire. The labeling in there leaves a lot to be desired. Inside there is a
metal panel blocking my view of the fuses that is not shown in the owner's manual. There are lots of fuses and plug-ins so I am reluctant to start pulling fuses to see what shuts down.
As long as you pull one fuse, check what's out, then re-install the fuse, I don't see a problem. I've done it on every RV, boat, and home I've ever owned to map out the circuits. Better when I want to learn and document than in the middle of the night.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #7

Check your smart wheel contoller.

Had a similar problem so a call to spartan helped me find the smartwheel ( in the fuse compartment in front of wheel under drivers seat )component and they gave me the sequence to unplug and reconnect the plugs. I think it was large black, medium black, small black, large white, medium white and small white. Wait a moment and re plug the wires in the reverse order.
Check with spartan to make sure. This worked for meon two occasions, good luck
trvlsupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #8

I don't know about the spartan, But most headlights are powered through a separate wire from the battery, and a circuit breaker inside the headlight switch. It used to be a federal law, that they had to be separate, and through a self resetting circuit breaker.All the rest of the lights, should go through the fuse block, and have a separate route for power from the battery.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:28 AM   #9

If they are automotive fuses they can be checked without removing them if you are reluctant to do so.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
If they are automotive fuses they can be checked without removing them if you are reluctant to do so.
You are right, but that doesn't reveal what the fuse protects and also doesn't cause the contacts to rub against the holder to 'clean' them a bit. I prefer to pull them, check for dirty contacts, and clean them if needed.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the leads, I'll let you know how it all works out.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #12

The cause of our headlight failure turned out to be a "Thermal Event" of the SmartWheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180914_130347702.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	219017  
Old 09-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #13

Thats scary.

Tags
light, lights