Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #1

Heat

I have a 2011 entegra aspire. The weather in san Antonio went from 70 degrees about 5 pm on the 17th to 22 degrees at 6am on the 18th boy was I cold. Obviously the heat pump would not work. The furnace was putting out cold air, the water line was frozen on the outside so no water was coming in the motor home only what was in the tank. did I say I was cold yep I was real cold. no matter what I tried the furnace would not get warm air. Luckily I carry electric heaters for that purpose but how come my furnace would not work. was it because the water in the tank was too cold an the aqua hot just couldn't do it?? I don't think those aqua hots are what they are advertised, well they might be as advertised to a degree but they are not effective. anybody had this experience??
bootsmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Nope, my Hydro Hot keeps me nice and warm, including my heated floors . Don't know what's wrong with yours, though. Might want to give more details on your coach model, Aqua Hot model, etc.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, the OP's AquaHot needs working on.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
Nope, my Hydro Hot keeps me nice and warm, including my heated floors . Don't know what's wrong with yours, though. Might want to give more details on your coach model, Aqua Hot model, etc.
I have a 2011 entegra aspire. I still cant understand why the furnace would not work. I am not fond of aqua hots. yes they have continuous hot water but who really needs continuous hot water. what am I missing here. I have a friend with a 15 gallon hw tank and he never runs out either. If the water is cold at the campground coming out of the ground in colder climates it just doesn't seem effective. Thanks for your answer appreciate your concern. smooth sailing and following seas
bootsmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #5

Do you have hot water? If you do, then your AquaHot's burner is functioning.

Is your thermostat set to "gas"? If not, set it to gas.

When's the last time you had your AquaHot serviced?
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is you heat a heat pump that's really not efficient at less than 40 degrees?
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsmoore View Post
I have a 2011 entegra aspire. I still cant understand why the furnace would not work. I am not fond of aqua hots. yes they have continuous hot water but who really needs continuous hot water. what am I missing here. I have a friend with a 15 gallon hw tank and he never runs out either. If the water is cold at the campground coming out of the ground in colder climates it just doesn't seem effective. Thanks for your answer appreciate your concern. smooth sailing and following seas
Different flavor of coach and newer but ours has both elec. and gas (diesel) option on the aqua-hot. With the gas no problem with getting really hot water while the elec. only is not as hot and probably not a good option if heating hte coach. Then the "furnace" needs set to gas on the 2 of our units that heat air. (These are the air and heat pump in one case also.)

Anyhow puts out a lot of BTU's but takes a bit to warm up the coach from dead cold.

Tom
Old 12-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #8

The OP's AquaHot needs work as a previous poster stated. Most likely one of the pumps has failed or the burner is not lighting.
For heating, the system could care less what temp the water is or even if there is any water at all. The fuel fired boiler heats antifreeze which is then pumped to the individual area registers.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #9

How long in advance were they forecasting this cold weather?
Old 12-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
- Unlimited hot water.
- Real heat for the entire coach... heat pumps will dry out the air and a propane furnace will introduce more moisture than the AquaHot.
- Diesel fired AquaHot produces more heating BTUs that a propane fired furnace.
- The amount of heat and hot water is only restricted by the size of the fuel tank. You will need many bottles of propane hooked up to extended stays to outlast an AquaHot before refilling, especially in extremely cold temps (a properly tuned AquaHot only consumes .35 gallons of fuel per runtime hour).
- Finally to be fair, an AquaHot is more costly to maintain with its required annual service than a propane fired furnace, but that just fuels the why I paid more arguments.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #11

Quote:
I have a 2011 entegra aspire.
The weather in san Antonio went from 70 degrees about 5 pm on the 17th to 22 degrees at 6am on the 18th

First have you ever used your Hydro Hot on diesel Before?
Sounds like this might be your first try?
When was the last time it was serviced?
Does it work on either electric or Diesel?

boy was I cold.

Cold is -17 for 10 days straight - With my HH we were one of the only two in the Park in Golden Colorado that did not freeze, so if the unit has been serviced and is working then you should be fine.

Obviously the heat pump would not work. Correct.

The furnace was putting out cold air, the water line was frozen on the outside so no water was coming in the motor home only what was in the tank. Unhook the water line and use the tank - You are aware that H2O freezes at 32 degrees - even in texas .

did I say I was cold yep I was real cold. no matter what I tried the furnace would not get warm air.

Likely the unit needs to be serviced - Filter and Nozzle - then the tube cleaned out, the electric should work a little of the heat just not enough to heat the coach - plug in the electric heaters - one front - one in the bathroom - and one at the front window (bubble wrap would help here) Get a heater or at least a light into the Basement - If the HH freezes you will be out $8-10K to replace.

Luckily I carry electric heaters for that purpose but how come my furnace would not work. PLUG THEM IN - in the location mentioned earlier.

was it because the water in the tank was too cold an the aqua hot just couldn't do it?? NO!

I don't think those aqua hots are what they are advertised, Trust me they are better than Advertized - they work in the COLD!

well they might be as advertised to a degree but they are not effective. anybody had this experience??
Need a lot more info from you to be of any real help.

Tell us more and we can try to help out.

Best of Luck,

. .
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:20 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
- Unlimited hot water.
- Real heat for the entire coach... heat pumps will dry out the air and a propane furnace will introduce more moisture than the AquaHot.
How does a propane furnace put more moisture in to the coach? They have a heat exchanger system. The moisture from burning the propane goes outside and the inside air is heated via an air to metal contact.

I don't understand how this could put moisture in to the inside air.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:49 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
How does a propane furnace put more moisture in to the coach? They have a heat exchanger system. The moisture from burning the propane goes outside and the inside air is heated via an air to metal contact.

I don't understand how this could put moisture in to the inside air.
I agree, a gas furnace can't add moisture anymore than a heat pomp can dry it out. The heat pump is just metal to air, heat transfer too.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #14

Propane contains hydrogen and carbon. When it burns it reacts with oxygen in the air and forms carbon dioxide and water vapour. That condenses and causes the dampness. It seems to be an accepted fact that propane heat will increase humidity.

When you run the ac it takes water out of the air (dehumidifies) when you switch it to heat pump it does the same thing, thus dries things out.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat