Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnut View Post
Next time you are at a flying J to fuel, walk in there and spend 10 bucks on a tire Bump Stick and then walk out to the RV you are fueling up and hit the tires in the center of the thread and listen for the sound. After doing this bit and over time you will know what to listen for. I made mine out of a 1" dowel and a piece of 1" strap metal, along with a hammer..........easy and cheap.......

As for the hubs bend down and touch them with a finger for the best results......All that heatgun is a waste of money in my opinion........

Mike
Mike, what you posted is just how the trucking industry has functioned for a century and more.......and has worked for that long, but only those that worked in this industry can attest to this simple method and the tested great results of "tire banging" that the trucking industry has done for such a long period of time. As for the hubs, the same...... touch them. The new standard of using a "temp gun" to shoot tires and hubs I believe is just unique to the "RV world" like checking tire pressure every morning and through out the day while traveling.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Trust but verify!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Hooligan, Why holding tank temp?
When not in use over the winter, I run the heater to maintain temps inside the Rv and protect the FW and holding tank area. Easy check to see if enough heat is getting down there. Thermostat at 50 inside keeps the tank area safe into mid 20's. (We don't do much frigid here in Florida) Also use a 60watt bulb in the water manifold area.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
When not in use over the winter, I run the heater to maintain temps inside the Rv and protect the FW and holding tank area. Easy check to see if enough heat is getting down there. Thermostat at 50 inside keeps the tank area safe into mid 20's. (We don't do much frigid here in Florida) Also use a 60watt bulb in the water manifold area.
Have you ever thought to just "winterize?" It sure would save you a lot on energy costs.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #19

I wonder what the odds are of finding a problem with a tire just at the right time while pulling in a rest stop, as opposed to actually driving out in the boonies?

Anyone seriously concerned about tire pressure, and heat build up should install a TPMS, which includes constant pressure and temp readings.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
"winterize?"
Doesn't get that cold that often, use the MH year round.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Mike, what you posted is just how the trucking industry has functioned for a century and more.......and has worked for that long, but only those that worked in this industry can attest to this simple method and the tested great results of "tire banging" that the trucking industry has done for such a long period of time. As for the hubs, the same...... touch them. The new standard of using a "temp gun" to shoot tires and hubs I believe is just unique to the "RV world" like checking tire pressure every morning and through out the day while traveling.
I was always taught the KISS plan works the best..........I only drove a truck about a million miles and that always worked for me...........Plus I get to walk around and bend down some.............Keep It Simple Stupid.......................Now where did I put that heatgun?.........O' wait here is this stick that I don't need no batteries for.......

Mike
Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #22

You used to cook all your meals on the stove unhip the Microwave came on the scene. I don't see nothing wrong with checking your tires with a IR gun. TPMS all seem to mess up constantly with errant readings. Knocking your tires with a stick sure will do but nothing wrong with changing with the times.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
You used to cook all your meals on the stove unhip the Microwave came on the scene. I don't see nothing wrong with checking your tires with a IR gun. TPMS all seem to mess up constantly with errant readings. Knocking your tires with a stick sure will do but nothing wrong with changing with the times.
I agree there is nothing wrong with checking temps with an IR gun. Anything you do regularly that has you paying attention to your tires is a good thing. I have however, used a TPMS for about 10 years now and have found it to be accurate, reliable and trouble free.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
I tried knocking my tires with a stick, but it's hard to do at my age, and moving along at 55 mph. So, I got a TPMS instead.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnut View Post
Next time you are at a flying J to fuel, walk in there and spend 10 bucks on a tire Bump Stick and then walk out to the RV you are fueling up and hit the tires in the center of the thread and listen for the sound. After doing this bit and over time you will know what to listen for. I made mine out of a 1" dowel and a piece of 1" strap metal, along with a hammer..........easy and cheap.......

As for the hubs bend down and touch them with a finger for the best results......All that heatgun is a waste of money in my opinion........

Mike
Some years ago on of the trucker magazines did a test of this theory and found that on 2 out of 50 professional truck drivers could tell if a tire was dangerously (20%) low. They decided that it wasn't accurate enough and recommended using a tire gauge. You can tell if a tire is flat that way, but that's about all.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #26

Was going to post that, but forgot the number who couldn't tell the 20% low.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
When I stop for fuel or pit stop, I always walk around the MH and toad for a visual. I put my bare hand on every tire tread and every axle. MH and toad. I am looking for unusual high temperatures. If something is going out, it will probably get hot first. I found a hot axle on a step van I had converted to a camper around 1980, was driving after repair to said axle and they tightened the bearing too tight on the floating axle and it was too hot to touch. I let it cool some and then took it apart right there and loosened the bearing and saved the day. That wheel would have left the scene completely had I not been checking for heat build-up. As usual, I like it cheap and simple.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #28
Community Moderator

my tireminder does a good job on both pressure and temperature. at noon on a sunny day, the rear tire facing sun gets 3-4 degrees higher than the rest of it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote