Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Heat shield for windshields

Has anyone tried this product that is clear and goes on windshields?
Heat Shield For Windshields From Sun Blox
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #2

Speaking only of Indiana, it's illegal to put any type if coating or covering on the viewable portion of a windshield. You'll see semi's with a dark film covering the top 1/4, but it is not covering the viewable portion.
Each state has their own laws, which may be recognized by other states for travelers passing through. For instance, MO prohibits coatings/coverings on the drivers side window, but when I visit my cousin in St. Louis I'm legal.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
This coating is clear, so no one would even know it is there.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Look at 3 M Silverlite....kind of expensive, but best quality I could find. If you are going to do it....do it right
Old 02-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #5

Terry L T - do a search (above) for CRYSTALLINE. I believe the second entry will provide some insight. 3M calls it tint, but it is virtually clear and is as I understand it approved in Texas for use on windshields and driver/passenger side windows. You might want to check in your state. We're planning on doing the windshield and driver/passenger windows.

One thing to be aware of, in Texas the shop/installer is required to put a sticker under the film indicating its properties. As for the annual registration windshield sticker, we'll leave that small area un-tinted and hope the sticker does not let in a lot of heat.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #6

I've had heat resistant film on two RVs in Texas. 3M and the Madico product. Both work. State regulations vary insanely..... so check where you are registered.

A clear or very lightly tinted film for the windshield shouldn't be a problem as it is nearly undetectable unless you are less than 2' away..... and almost always from the inside not the outside of the window.

I've only had one BOZO inspector not want to inspect the RV claiming the tint was illegal. He was full of gas and DEAD WRONG. Not once has it ever been questioned except by this single dude.

Texas has a provision for filming windows if an individual is sensitive to the sun or takes meds that make one hypersensitive to sunlight exposure. I'd claim that ... and get a MDs note. There is also a provision buried deep in the regs.... for a 'ballistic' film. Tinting film is the exactly the same (for the most part) as the ballistic film used on apartment and businesses to protect from shattering glass due to hail, hurricane, tornadoes & explosions. I call mine a 'ballistic sun screen....'
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #7

Impact of light tint 3M & similar on double pane side windows

For those using 3M light tint film, have you used it on gas filled side windows and has it had s negative impact on the gas?
glemo81540 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat