RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 10:39 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Heat without furnace

We have removed our furnace to install a residential refrigerator and I am looking at options to heat the coach if need be when boondocking. I am a firm believer that the wheels on the coach are the best way to keep the temperature where we like it. We have heat pumps on the roof but some times don’t want to have the genny running. We also do not boondock a lot but some time it’s not avoidable due to travel times ie. rest area or parking lots.

Some options I have considered are:

1. Hydro heating using the hot water heater as the the source.

2. LP heating with items like the buddy heater.

3. Diesel heater using the main diesel tank genny source dip tube so have the 1/4 tank safety.

4. Electric heaters but would need more batteries or run the genny and was trying to avoid that.

What have other done and what have been your experience.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 10:48 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you have the space/wall, add an Olympian heater and use your coach LP.

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-o...25%20or%20Less
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Not going to heat using your batteries. Running the generator and heat pumps is the simplest and most efficient plus they will still work into the mid 30s. Adding a 12V water pump to circulate your hot water into a radiator with a 12V fan would work BUT your water heater is only 8-10,000 btus...about the same as 2 space heaters. One of your 15K heat pumps will put out more heat than the above.

Unlike a heat pump that’s 300% efficient (still 200% down to 40), your hot water heater is about 75%... going to us a lot of propane. Fortunately you have a fairly large propane tank. What’s the issue with running your diesel generator???
Old 12-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #4

If you get into freezing temps your heat pumps will not heat your coach, do they have back up electric heat.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If you have the space/wall, add an Olympian heater and use your coach LP.

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-o...25%20or%20Less
The wave heater is a catalytic heater much more safer then a buddy. We had a wave 4 in our airstream. Very nice, runs off regulated propane. Currently have a wave-8 I have not used for 8 years. You can have it free standing, wall mount, or flush mount on a wall. There are 3 sizes wave-4, 6, 8.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:24 PM   #6

Agree with Don, I used the olympian wave 8 mounted on a wall. There are also smaller ones that run off the 1 lb propane bottles if you don't want to run a line from your main propane tank.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...4800_200664800
Old 12-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree that the wheels are best to way to keep warm. Winter in S AZ, S TX, or S FL.
But heat pumps are $1000 to replace. And are noisy. I use quiet electric space heaters at $15 each.
This is a no brainer. I could burn $985 on electric. But never will...
Old 12-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Op here I don’t like to use the heat pumps because it requires the genny and the noise at night is not the best.

I have no plans on staying anywhere anytime that it would get down to freezing temps for any more than an hr or two over night.

Think quartzite in January.

My main issue with propane is the moisture and the lacking of air movement. But it is sounding like the option of choice for most of you. I would prefer wall mounted but finding the location is a challenge I have a gas line at the fridge that’s not in use but no wall space for it there.

Having a 40 ft I assume 2 smaller units front and back best over one in the middle unless there are fans to move the air.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
Op here I don’t like to use the heat pumps because it requires the genny and the noise at night is not the best.

I have no plans on staying anywhere anytime that it would get down to freezing temps for any more than an hr or two over night.

Think quartzite in January.

My main issue with propane is the moisture and the lacking of air movement. But it is sounding like the option of choice for most of you. I would prefer wall mounted but finding the location is a challenge I have a gas line at the fridge that’s not in use but no wall space for it there.

Having a 40 ft I assume 2 smaller units front and back best over one in the middle unless there are fans to move the air.
On one coach could not run a gas line to the catalytic heater, so just got a unit with feet and a hose to the gas fitting, that way could use in up front, and then move heater to bathroom or bedroom when necessary.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #10

If you run a Buddy heater (blown LP I am assuming) in an enclosed space you're gonna die. The carbon monoxide will surely kill you.

LED space heaters are SUPER AWESOME, they take little amperage from your battery array, and if you have a 4-6 battery array, you can go all night with one heater with minimal drainage on you coach system. Two or more, maybe not so much.

These ain't the heaters of old, electricity-wise. They do a solid job.

Hope this helps.
TheKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKraken View Post
If you run a Buddy heater (blown LP I am assuming) in an enclosed space you're gonna die. The carbon monoxide will surely kill you.

LED space heaters are SUPER AWESOME, they take little amperage from your battery array, and if you have a 4-6 battery array, you can go all night with one heater with minimal drainage on you coach system. Two or more, maybe not so much.

Hope this helps.
Buddy heaters have a built in low oxygen shut off but they still recommend a window open.
What is a LED space heater and how many amps does it draw and how many BTU's does it produce?
Old 12-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My assumption is you are not planning to connect to electric or run the generator full time.

With with any of the propane solutions you are going to need a vent open a little.
Buddy to let out carbon monoxide an get more O2
Wave catalytic to let out moisture and let in O2
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKraken View Post

Hope this helps.
Please provide a link to your LED space heater. I do not believe such a heater is made, are you confusing LED with infrared heating?

LED = Light Emitting Diode, heat is a side-effect of resistance.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #14

I googled “LED Space Heater”. It showed me a heater from Home Depot that had LED readout on the front. Uses 1500 Watts, produces 5120 btu/hour of heating, costs $135.

Walmart Mainstays heater, draws 1500 watts, makes 5120 btu/hour, costs $12.88. No LED readout.

There’s no magic bullet here. LEDs don’t give off heat, fancy Amish cabinetry heaters are still $10 heaters inside, there is only so much heat in 1500 watts of electricity. Laws of physics prevail.

Save your money, buy a couple of the cheap units. Even cheaper in the spring.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace, heat