Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Heating and cooling cab/cockpit area while driving

I have only owned a class A gasser and have never had the need to use anything but the engine heater and AC while driving down the road in some pretty eextreme weather without a problem. I have a friend that has a diesel pusher that tells me he always runs his generator while driving. We bought our coaches at about the same time, but he has over 250 hours on his genset while I only have about 30. I have been wondering why he has to run his to stay comfortable And I don't. My theory is that since my engine is up front the ducting is shorter and it just works better because it doesn't loose heat traveling all the way from the rear of the coach. Or is it something else?
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Sounds like he is loosing a lot of heat in the coolant lines due to the long run from the back. Maybe he could insulate them, at least the hot side one.
As far as cooling with the AC, that just has to be the design, yours is better.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #3

In my DP I have curtain rod right behind the seats with a full length curtain. Pull it closed and keep from heating the whole rig. And not using the generator.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #4

Personally I would rather run my generator. especially with a gas. it's just good exercise. It keeps all the oil moving and gas flowing. Carbs can't varnish up if the gas keeps flowing.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:25 AM   #5

Could be that diesels are inherently more efficient than gasoline engines so there is less waste heat available for cockpit heating - to the extent that they often add auxiliary diesel heaters as well
Old 02-04-2018, 03:52 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
So is it just the way things are with a DP? Do you normally run the genset while driving?
Old 02-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #7

I have not run genny for heat but I do run it for extra AC. Maybe because you have the engine of front making enormous amounts of heat helps you.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:39 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Also a follow up question. Is it necessary to run the genset while driving for the residential fridge? I have never had one of those either.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:21 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We have a DP and travel comfortably with just the front air/heat when just the two of us... and our refrigerator, (originally a 4 door Norfolk 1200 and now a residential 3 door Samsung RF18) microwave, coffee pot etc all work during travel without the gen-set... only the house air unit require it. If however, we have someone riding inside the coach house, in weather above 90's or below 50's we use house heat/air for their comfort. Also our particular right has the breaker control panel in the bedroom and we have learned to run the back air if we are traveling through areas with outside Temps nearing or over 100 to prevent heat inside the bedroom from both outside temp and engine combined causing a breaker to be thrown but again this is a problem for our model and not necessarily affecting all DPs.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:28 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks for the replies. We are thinking our next coach will be a DP but I have much to learn about them. So far I like the idea of quieter more comfortable ride, but they seem to be way more complicated than a gasser.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:35 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We won't ever go back. Loved our first Class A gas but they simply don't compare to the ride and comfort and true livability of the DPS. Running the gen-set during travel is more often a matter of personal preference. When it's just the two of us in Temps below 100 and above freezing we use the cockpit for comfort air and turn the gen-set on about 30-60 min from our destination to allow the house temp to stabilize so we can be comfortable when setting up. No curtain behind cockpit necessary for us. My DW is cold natured and rides in the co-pilot recliner with a lap blanket even in summer...that way we are both comfortable lol.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:50 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder if having the engine radiator in front may help heat the exterior (particularly underneath) and thus reduce the amount of heat required from the dash heating system.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #13

I run a space heater off the inverter up in front when it's cold. If it's very hot I'll run the genset and AC's while we're driving. I always run the genset and AC's for about an hour before we stop if it's hot out so the back starts to cool off a bit. The engine heat takes several hours to diminish.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Also a follow up question. Is it necessary to run the genset while driving for the residential fridge? I have never had one of those either.
No, runs off the battery bank, alternator and inverter.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, heat, heating