Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2016, 12:05 PM   #1

Heating coach when stored in freezing temps

We have a Newmar Canyon Star toy hauler which has a roof told A/C with electric heat strip heating. Should we keep the inside of the coach temp above freezing when stored and is the rooftop unit a good option for this or should we use a portable heater. Is the minimum setting of 40 degrees an appropriate temp? The coach has been winterized by blowing out the water lines and adding antifreeze to the traps and water pump.
scrowell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCrowell View Post
We have a Newmar Canyon Star toy hauler which has a roof told A/C with electric heat strip heating. Should we keep the inside of the coach temp above freezing when stored and is the rooftop unit a good option for this or should we use a portable heater. Is the minimum setting of 40 degrees an appropriate temp? The coach has been winterized by blowing out the water lines and adding antifreeze to the traps and water pump.
Hello and Welcome Steve
If it has been winterized and you are not going to use it, no need to heat it..........just let it sleep like a bear in hibernation, till needed.
Keep it plugged into shore power to keep the batteries topped off.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hello and Welcome Steve
If it has been winterized and you are not going to use it, no need to heat it..........just let it sleep like a bear in hibernation, till needed.
Keep it plugged into shore power to keep the batteries topped off.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #4

Good question and one that I asked myself.

The answer I gave myself was to not use any heat. Couple of reasons: moisture might be a concern - thought it would stay drier without heat. Big electric bill - if I was going to spend time out there in it occasionally then maybe. Fact is it's just too dang cold. So, it's in cold storage for now.

If the cold ruins the linoleum -- I would have a good excuse to upgrade it! I don't know that the cold can damage much else.

Maybe others have different opinions.
biggcrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
really don't need heat but if u don't mind paying the power bill run a decent 1500 watt heater set on super low .
I personally would not be using the old heat strip roof ac unit
one thing about keeping some warmth in it will keep flooring and cabinets etc from extreme temperature swings which I believe are very beneficial
to the over well being of a RV
BUT certainly one does not have to
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I leave a small heater inside the RV and inside the wet bay. The inside heater is set to 40, and the wet bay heater is attached to a plug that turns on a 35. We usually only have a few days in a row of that kind of weather, but it keeps the lines from freezing and makes it easy to still use the RV in the winter.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Heat pumps on the AC are only effective down to about 40 so they do no good in freezing weather. It depends on how cold it gets and how long the temp will stay below freezing on how I approach things. Batteries can freeze so think about removing them to a garage or somewhere if it's that cold. Before removing batteries if you do, take lots of pictures of the setup from top and side so you don't mess up when you reinstall in the spring.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #8

@Select55
Why wouldn't you use the rooftop unit?
Old 12-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I leave my batteries on my coach with a trickle charger hooked up to them. I keep the battery compartment warm using a trouble light with a 60 watt bulb in it. Keeps the batteries from freezing and I stop by every month and a half to put in a new bulb. Works great and I don't have to break my back unloading and reloading the batteries.
City Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
... Batteries can freeze so think about removing them to a garage or somewhere if it's that cold. Before removing batteries if you do, take lots of pictures of the setup from top and side so you don't mess up when you reinstall in the spring.
Batteries should not freeze if they are fully charged.

Taking a picture of the connections is however a very good idea. Don't ask me how I know.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
I leave my batteries on my coach with a trickle charger hooked up to them. I keep the battery compartment warm using a trouble light with a 60 watt bulb in it. Keeps the batteries from freezing and I stop by every month and a half to put in a new bulb. Works great and I don't have to break my back unloading and reloading the batteries.
your wasting your time;; batterys only freeze if they lose their charge as long as there charged up no matter the temerature;;they don't freeze
my boat batterys sit disconnected for a year and there still 7/8 charged
and it gets way below freezing many many days where its at
Old 12-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
@Select55
Why wouldn't you use the rooftop unit?
I think heat strips are old school; not very efficient and power hogs plus why run the roof unit and put unneeded hours on it when a 50$ wallmart heater will do the job and cost far less to run
Old 12-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #13

As the consensus is overwhelming that I should not heat the inside of my coach, I have turned the heat off and tucked the baby in for the winter. It has been winterized, is plugged into shore power and has a trickle charger on the chassis battery. Don't know what I can do except wait for spring...now hurry up and get here. Thanks for the feedback ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°*

Tags
heat, heating