Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2022, 06:33 AM   #1

Height

Currently we have a class a gas but we are looking at going to a larger diesel pusher as our girls are getting bigger a we need more space. We have a few models we are looking at but the one we like the most in the Fleetwood Discovery LXE 44B.
The height is listed at 12' 10". Problem is the clearance I have on our shop at home in the bay we store it in is 12' 5"... So these are my questions:
1. If I dump the air will if fit?
2. Can I back up safely with the air dumped?
Ehoff81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2022, 06:45 AM   #2

1. You may not get a 5 in difference by dumping the air.
2. As soon as you start it, it will air back up. You may be able to keep dumping air as you back up.

One small mistake and you are looking at a big problem.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:42 AM   #3

What is the tallest item on the roof? If it's satellite you could consider removing it (as we did) and rely on the campground's WIFI or use a phone hotspot to stream (as we do with T-mobile and DW's ATT).

We have no OEM media in our rig - just a single TV, our OTA antenna and a mac mini as an HTPC with wireless keyboard and mouse. TV then acts like our computer monitor and we can access all our subscribe services unless we're in the boondocks in which case we simply watch shows that we've downloaded. We don't miss a thing - especially the commercials.
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
What is the tallest item on the roof? If it's satellite you could consider removing it (as we did) and rely on the campground's WIFI or use a phone hotspot to stream (as we do with T-mobile and DW's ATT).

We have no OEM media in our rig - just a single TV, our OTA antenna and a mac mini as an HTPC with wireless keyboard and mouse. TV then acts like our computer monitor and we can access all our subscribe services unless we're in the boondocks in which case we simply watch shows that we've downloaded. We don't miss a thing - especially the commercials.
Thanks! That's pretty much how we operate. Only time the TV comes on in our rig is late at night when we are settling in getting ready for bed.
I wonder though, if the AC units are just as high as the media on top?
Old 10-17-2022, 09:41 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Generally the height spec on most motorhomes is to the highest "hardscape" on top. However, I don't think you can get a 5" drop from the air suspension and as stated as soon as you put it in gear and start to move it will begin to rise.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehoff81 View Post
Thanks! That's pretty much how we operate. Only time the TV comes on in our rig is late at night when we are settling in getting ready for bed.
I wonder though, if the AC units are just as high as the media on top?
I know how to find out which is higher!
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 10:44 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I think you have three choices:

1. Raise the door height (or roof)
2. Lower the floor and driveway
3. Don't buy the coach
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:11 AM   #8
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
I think you have three choices:

1. Raise the door height (or roof)
2. Lower the floor and driveway
3. Don't buy the coach
4. Park it outside.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehoff81 View Post
Currently we have a class a gas but we are looking at going to a larger diesel pusher as our girls are getting bigger a we need more space. We have a few models we are looking at but the one we like the most in the Fleetwood Discovery LXE 44B.

The height is listed at 12' 10". Problem is the clearance I have on our shop at home in the bay we store it in is 12' 5"... So these are my questions:

1. If I dump the air will if fit?

2. Can I back up safely with the air dumped?

1) Possibly not probably.

2) Possibly if on flat ground.

My A/C units are higher than my satellite.

My older Fleetwood American Coach has a toggle for suspension dump and can be moved while the suspension is aired down. BUT. I would not want to have to climb a hill (forward or backwards) with it aired down because the driveline is at a bad angle.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 12:09 PM   #10

Depending on the overhead door configuration you have, you likely have more that 12’10 clearance inside the shop and your limiting factor is the door opening. You can look at changing doors and the door opening. A standard overhead door has to have room for the 90 degree radius from vertical to horizontal above the top of the opening.

Side door
Overhead door that rolls on the outside
Double “barn” doors
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:24 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I suspect the ACs are your limiting factor. If you go from say a coleman mach 15 to a mach 8, you would gain 7" - assuming something else isn't now the highest point.

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 10-18-2022, 05:37 AM   #12

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately the garage door company said I'm out of room for a regular door. So it sounds like my only options are a roll up door or grinding dow the floor. I think I'll opt for the roll up door.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:51 AM   #13

You will get around +/- 4" when you dump.in general, you should not drive with it dumped due to possible damage to the drive train and possible interference with tires hitting body work.
What kind of doors do you have now ? You mentioned roll up... that will take up another foot or so. Have you looked into barn door type doors or airplane hanger style doors ?
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:18 AM   #14

Our coach is advertised at a 12'9" height. Our Garage door was a 12'X12', which is all we needed in the past. The interior height the area was 14'. I had to modify the rafters on one side, after consultation with a structural engineer, to gain a clearance of 13'9" to accommodate a 13'3" high door. Raynor makes a door that height.

Works perfectly well with, or without, dumping the rear air. Of course, my driveway is not on any sort of uphill or downhill slope.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote