Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #15

That's higher than mine. So there may be some differences in how our hitches are mounted. I use a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar with Roadmaster base plates on our Saturn, that could also make a possible difference. Good luck with your set up.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi guys,

When the coach builder lists in the brochure a coach is 12'-10" is that aired up? I've never been that great at math but it looks to even a casual observer, If you go up 5" that becomes 13'-3" in a hurry!

The 12'-10" is the coach with full airbags and ready to go right?

Mike H brought up a question I never thought about. Do you hook up your toad before or after you air up?

WyoFree, yes, height specs will reflect the coach at ride height with air bags inflated.

As for hooking up the toad, in most circumstances it really shouldn't matter as you already have determined and set your hitch receiver height (I'm sure you've studied and asked questions about that ...what Mike was talking about, i.e. if need a drop hitch and what size, etc.) and if you are level or close to level, then that few inches shouldn't make that great a difference as, remember, your tow bar pivots up and down so you are still able to hook-up regardless. It makes more sense to do the hooking up at ride height but let's say you want to hook up the toad the night before you leave and don't want to start the engine to air up the suspension, you can go ahead and hook up with the bags deflated and check it over in the morning once you are ready to take off ...or at least that's what I've done plenty of times in the past.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My old BlueBird I needed a 6" drop hitch, new one no drop needed...really depends on how the hitch got mounted from the mfg. FYI if you're near Austin,Tx I'll make you a good deal on a drop hitch
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It doesn't make any difference when you hook the toad up. So, whether the air bags are inflated, or deflated, makes no difference as far as hooking up the toad.

The hitch only needs to be relatively level when moving. If the hitch is too high, the toad will tend to run under the MH during a panic stop. If it's too low, the toad will try to run over the top of the hitch in a panic stop.

My experience says to err with the MH hitch on the higher side. I had problems dragging the ground/pavement on dips and tearing up wiring ,cables, and the hitch cover when using a 6" drop-down hitch to make everything level. I raised it back up!
Old 12-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
It doesn't make any difference when you hook the toad up. So, whether the air bags are inflated, or deflated, makes no difference as far as hooking up the toad.

The hitch only needs to be relatively level when moving. If the hitch is too high, the toad will tend to run under the MH during a panic stop. If it's too low, the toad will try to run over the top of the hitch in a panic stop.

My experience says to err with the MH hitch on the higher side. I had problems dragging the ground/pavement on dips and tearing up wiring ,cables, and the hitch cover when using a 6" drop-down hitch to make everything level. I raised it back up!
Agree! I used the hitch to raise the towbar as my old coach had a steel rear bumper and the receiver had to be below that.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #20

What about a tow dolly, the same information applies?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Each dolly manufacturer will have a recommendation as to the angle and height of the ball.

Acme Tow Dolly states:

Their web site states:
THE COUPLER HEIGHT MUST BE BETWEEN 12 TO 16 INCHES HIGH TO THE BOTTOM OF THE COUPLER FROM THE GROUND. PURCHASE AN ADJUSTABLE BALL IF NECESSARY. IT’S IMPORTANT.

It would be best to check with the particular dolly manufacturer you are considering.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #22

This thread made me realize I need to make a change. I went to Pender NE (Blue Ox) and we measured and installed a 6 inch drop. Since then, I had my airleak fixed and they also adjusted my ride height. Apparently it had been out for a bit! Anyway, I just realized my tow bar is lower to the ground than it was before, and I'm sure I no longer need a six inch drop. Ride height adjustments definitely make a difference.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:26 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Got the beast back yesterday and tried to dump the air. No Go. Then found out about the acc key position and holding the switch. Took several minutes and am still not sure it is all the way down. Lowered around 4+ inches and I now know the height for the toad connection is alright.

I've been measuring at ride height and thinking it was dumped. Wow is there alot more to learn.

Looking forward to the 419 Rally in Elkhart to go into information overload.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:48 PM   #24

Glad to here you got it home and everything worked out. When I dump the air on mine, I hold the switch down till I hear the coach settle. It makes a distinct creaking noise at the slide and front window area and I can feel it sort of settle. That's kind of vague I know, but is the best description I can give.
Also on our coaches the front lowers slightly more in the front than the rear, it's just not all that noticeable.

Mike H
Old 12-29-2016, 03:15 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bubba1. I did notice the front went lower than the rear and thought maybe I just did not want to sit out in the cold, 20F, and wait longer.

Now I can click one more thing off the list. Since purchase I now only need to do the fuel filters, three, and air filter. Hired out the oil and filter changes. Might do the same with the fuel filters.

So much to learn and so little time.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #26

Yepper, there's a learning curve for sure over gassers. Nothing that you can't handle. The air filter is easy to change, fuel filters are a little more difficult. There's only two my engine. Don't forget the generator when your doing maintenance, it's a diesel too. Do you know about the trailing arm issue on our coaches? There was a recall on our coaches for the rear trailing arms due to cracking. If not, you need to find out if yours has have been changed out.

Mike H
Old 12-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I've been told about the trailing arm.

I am going to hold off on some of the items until the Maintenance Rally in Elkhart. I've already got reservations and a day early entry.

Getting ready for a heavy dose of education.

Cummins just went over the engine and don't think I have any real problems they did not already fix. Thanks for all the info. Right now trying to find the right air filter. Housing is a Donaldson, engine is ISB 300. I don't want to open the housing up until I know I have the right filter. Don't want to disturb what is working and ingest any dust or dirt to the turbo.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #28

It's good to hear you know about the trailing arm issue. Do you have the manuals for the coach? The Monaco manual has the part numbers for the all the filters you need. You may need to cross reference some of the part numbers as some of them are old out dated numbers, but not to worry everything mechanical for your coach is still available.

That rally sounds like fun. Staying on top of the maintenance is the key to keeping these coaches going without a lot of problems.

Mike H