Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #29

I know! BUT . . . there is nothing to look at. The amount of information is overwhelming. And, most dealers have NO inventory. Thus it's very hard to take the plunge on something we have not seen.

We've seen a Bounder a few years ago in RV show and we know the floor plan would work and it has the features we want. At least we know that. We've tried to look at bunch of other ones, but no dealers near by have them in stock for us to look at them.

Please keep in mind this is our first rig. For you, who have been RVing for a while, the purchase of a new rig will feel less intimidating.
Mac_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_in_VA View Post
Yes . . . but when you go to call to find out if they are there. There is nothing. It drives me crazy that the dealerships are not updating their websites. They don't have the inventory but are leaving it up there to make you call them. I have been told that twice now.

I have literally called every single Fleetwood bounder from Florida to Main, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and everything in between. My pad is filled with names and numbers from over 45 dealers on the east coast.

I am not giving up. I am hitting the road this summer!
I am coming up with 7 late model Bounder 33C units on rvtrader. What's actually available will take some digging.
Here's a link to what I found...
https://www.rvtrader.com/Used-2017-A...rt=price%3Aasc

Plug in your own zip code to see what's closest to you. That 2017 in W Boylston,MA looks pretty good... low mileage and good price.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
My wife and I have been going through this for the last several months. There are no new class A coaches to be had right now. Anything that you think you can find on the internet searches is actually sold already.
I KNOW! I KNOW! We have been dreaming of owning our own RV for about 10 years. Now that we are ready to take the plunge it's the worst year ever. But, we need to do it.

I hate that the dealerships lie. They know things have been spoken for, sold, have deposits, but don't take them off their websites. They want to make themselves look like they have stock but they don't.

We found a brand new Georgetown 7 that we liked. We drove 4 hours to go buy it. When we were looking it over, it had some really nasty defects. In the area around the bunk bed (over the driver's seat) there were nails poking out from the trim. There were areas of the wood that were not painted. And, the bottom of the cushion had a big rip. They had not installed any of the bars in the closet. The bathroom faucet was just floating, like you could move it side to side. There was rust in the bottom of one of the doors as it had not been fully painted.

And, we are newbies, we don't know what to look for, but we knew these things were night right. That made us very fearful as we felt there was clearly no attention to detail and no quality control.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:59 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There was a post asking if you had a pickup truck and would you consider a pull behind. Any thoughts ?
Old 02-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #33

Thank you so much. That one looks good. But, it does not have a drop down bunk bed.

It's actually the closest to me. And, that is an 8-hour drive.

I'll keep looking. Now I know what is considered low milage for an RV.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
There was a post asking if you had a pickup truck and would you consider a pull behind. Any thoughts ?
Thanks for thinking of us. No, we don't have a truck. We considered it. But, to get the trailer I want, I would need to buy a pretty big truck. And, then the math does not add up. I live in VA, which has crazy property tax laws. So the truck would get the full tax treatment by my lovely state.

I also looking at something I could pull with an SUV. I would have to sell one car and buy a trailer then sell my car then buy another SUV. But . . . the trailer that I would be able to pull with an SUV are simply not big enough for a family of four, three of whom are (or approaching) 6'4' tall.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavepaws View Post
Since you mentioned Northern Virginia - - - > Please search within the irv2 forum for the following topic: Virginia Taxes. Then when results populate, select Virginia Taxes on new Class A.

Whatever RV you select, it pays to be informed. The irv2 community contains so much helpful information. Glad you joined.
To Mac_in_VA, you posted in this thread: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/vir...-523430-2.html that contains information that describes the Personal Property (Car) Tax (PPT) in Virginia. Different counties treat RV's (boats and airplanes, too) very, very differently regarding PPT. Virginia DMV regulations for vehicles with a GVW in excess of 10,000 pounds base the tax jurisdiction for those vehicles as the location where the vehicle is "garaged", rather than where the owner resides. It is essential that you make that distinction on the DMV Motor Vehicle Registration form when you register the RV. That is often done during the purchase process by the dealer.

You can easily save thousands of dollars by garaging your RV in a county that is more RV friendly. It is perfectly legal.

When I lived in Fairfax County, I found that Prince William County (immediately adjacent south) to be much more friendly.

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-04-2021, 12:41 PM   #36

NONE of the 90+ 2021 Bounder 33C and 35K coaches in the link I provided were available for purchase? Really? -Paul
Old 02-05-2021, 04:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Nothing wrong with Winnebago BTW. Oh and also, Winnebago owns Newmar.
Thanks for the tip. I had no idea. I'll look into Newmar.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:27 AM   #38

Here is an "out there" reason to buy used. Some materials and adhesives used in construction could be harmful. Giving the RV a few years to air out could be a good idea.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:45 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll buy a used unit over a new unit any day of the week. Yeas a new unit has a manufacturers warranty, and it will spend much of that year in the shop. A used unit will have all of the bugs worked out. Second thing is the depreciation on a new unit is really bad the first year. A used unit has already suffered the big depresiation.

But with a used unit, I would definitely have the coach and chassis checked by a 3rd party independent inspector that you hired, before you purchase. A few hundred dollars could save you thousands of dollars and disappointment.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:37 PM   #40

if you want a bunk above the driver you may want to consider a Entegra emblem or Jayco precept. Both Nice gas motorhomes and the bunk has lot more capacity than Fleetwood or Winnebago.

There are many other top Tier Level 4 choices than you are looking at. I myself prefer Newmar. On my second one and have both been great coaches. The Fleetwood we had was junk and I was always working on it. Just my thoughts for what is worth.
Rwjsim2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwjsim2003 View Post
There are many other top Tier Level 4 choices than you are looking at. I myself prefer Newmar. On my second one and have both been great coaches. The Fleetwood we had was junk and I was always working on it. Just my thoughts for what is worth.
What's a top tier level 4 motorhome? I've been around and worked on coaches all of my life and that's a new one for me.
You have to compare apples to apples...
I've seen shoddily built coaches from every manufacturer depending on year and model. Newmars are ok if you don't mind the walls on the later ones and don't get me started on the "Golden Girls" interiors of the older ones. I actually came close to buying a Canyon Star 3921 but I decided that I didn't want a class A toyhauler after I traveled with my motorcycles in one. I was an RV tech many years ago... of all the coaches that I ever worked on, I always liked the old Country Coaches, Newells and Foretravels. Truth be told... every RV has something about it that is junky.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #42
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_in_VA View Post
Thanks for the tip. I had no idea. I'll look into Newmar.
Methinks you folks need to expand your horizons, so to speak. Both in terms of brand and distance.

I know a fellow in AZ who put a deposit on a 2021 Class A that a dealer in FL already had on order. They were going to charge $2,600 to deliver it to their other dealership in AZ when it arrived in March. That AZ dealership is a couple hundred miles from his home.

Without much effort he found a 2021 in Utah, same brand and floorplan but a different color, canceled the other order, and he is driving to Utah next week to pick it up.

You folks also need to do some serious reading on issues that ALL brands and models have when purchased new. As well as how long the dealer will take to attempt to repair problems. It's not pretty and bears NO resemblance to buying a new car or truck. None. At. All.

For example, RV dealerships are independent businesses and not franchises like cars and trucks. There is a massive variability between dealerships selling the same brand.

If you and your husband are people who always "call the guy" rather than fixing things in your home yourself, this likeky will be a miserable experience.

Good luck,

Ray

Tags
class a