Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2022, 05:38 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello everyone

It has been a couple years since I lurked around these forums…. My wonderful wife lost her battle with cancer in Oct 2020 and I sort of crawled in a hole for awhile. I sold our 2006 Journey in Jan 2021 (too many memories) and bought a new Lance truck camper. I do enjoy the mobility of the TC but I have found my direction again and it includes wintering in places like Florida or Tucson and a TC is rather small for a couple month stay.

I looked at buying a house in Florida but realized I really don’t want to always go to the same place every year. While real estate is a much better investment, this is more about happiness - and that I now realize, requires a motorhome for me :-)

Interesting times right now shopping for a coach! I’m looking in the 200k or under used market and finding lots of nice coaches in the 2008 - 2018 range. Wondering how much I should push back on the dealer pricing.. I wonder just how many are shopping for DPs with the diesel prices…. Hoping it works for me.

I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions as the search gets rolling and I find different rigs to look at!

One thing that concerns me somewhat is the age of the coach in relation to restrictions at some RV Resorts. I know how many of you feel about those restrictions but I enjoy the resorts and may ultimately buy a lot in one at some point as a winter home base.
smp005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 08:00 AM   #2

Welcome back ! I didn’t see an actual question in you post, but you did say you are “wondering” about how much to “push back” on dealer asking prices.
FOR what its worth, I think many dealers are asking at least 20% more than their “bottom line” price they will be willing to accept if a coach doesn’t sell quickly.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:20 AM   #3

Hey man Welcome back, take you shoes off grab a beer and relax the fire is warm and the all consuming hobby always ready for your money and your time! Yep its addicting and one can never get far, even though the normal travel may get more economical compared to lugging you castle around. The cost of parking in some of these places are at par with resort rooms! Getting there is at par with business class flights as well. But hey we love to carry our one compliment of dust mites and such from place to place in our own little palace so be it.

I have been through the lifecycles and changed RV sizes and types now as a retiree I have also right/down sized the rig to a sprinter based B. Capable of either carrying my horsepet (motorcycle) or towing my boat a right sized motor sailer. Again all are compact and driveable and usable within my capabilities, hopefully into the distant future! Some mega mobile mansion folks do hire drivers to ferry their machines and such but I am not into that at this point.

As you mentioned Condo here and a condo there could be in a retirement community or a RV resort or just a well managed and furnished camp are all good options as are patiohomes with RV docks. Personally I like the last option if I were still Rving in the large unit. Diesel prices and RV prices are inversely correlated to a degree so that can be used as a lever for price negotiations, same for interest rates and RV prices!

All the best
Old 06-28-2022, 11:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone!

It took me a bit to realize how much I miss having a coach! Now the search is on... before my wife fell ill we had talked about moving up to a 42-45 tag unit.. Our 36ft Journey was a bit small for us on extended trips..

Whatever I buy I will be building or having built, an office desk.. I don't plan on retiring before 70 (unless I sell the company) but I plan to work from where ever I feel parking :-)

Definitely finding some nice rigs out there! Now just a matter of narrowing down the choices :-)

Here are some that interest me.. I would REALLY like a side radiator (peace of mind) and I am leaning towards a Tag.. Most of my travels will be Ohio to Florida or Arizona to snowbird for a few months to work and play..

Appreciate opinions / comments on these - there is a lot of wisdom on irv2!!!

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...36514?ref=list

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...43981?ref=list

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...65220?ref=list

https://www.rcdrv.com/product/used-2...38f-1821166-10

https://www.rcdrv.com/product/used-2...353-1845532-10
Old 06-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #5

My choices would narrow the process to coach number 3, 2, 1. Utilitarian view makes me want 3, but all things considered, 2 would be my choice. Throw in more consideration factors when negotiating the best price. But 2 is the one 1 would be nice but the royal blue is offputting! Though that can probably be quickly ameliorated.

I am a long time buckeye. In the heart of it all! Where airplanes were invented and a huge base exists. Currently in build nightmare in Texas having an intense relationship with the HOa! Over unimportant nit picks!

Enjoy
Old 06-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spoke with a sales guy at Motorhomes of Texas and he pointed me to one more:

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...20162?ref=list

I know the Beaver coaches were well built rigs - according him (grain of salt), this one is in excellent condition...

525HP C13 Cat powerplant...
Old 06-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #7

Well yes that one is amazing, my choice would be 3 2 Beav. The four winds does look very nice and comfy though and the beaver looks nice as well but a little bit of an acquired taste has a certain type of gestalt that other companies do not curate. Also do not know if the area rug is staging only and would need to be removed for closing the slides etc.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:52 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover View Post
My choices would narrow the process to coach number 3, 2, 1. Utilitarian view makes me want 3, but all things considered, 2 would be my choice. Throw in more consideration factors when negotiating the best price. But 2 is the one 1 would be nice but the royal blue is offputting! Though that can probably be quickly ameliorated.

I am a long time buckeye. In the heart of it all! Where airplanes were invented and a huge base exists. Currently in build nightmare in Texas having an intense relationship with the HOa! Over unimportant nit picks!

Enjoy

Left Ohio and landed in Texas - from humid to REALLY humid :-) I'm charting a different path - go wherever my heart takes me LOL!

The kids are grown and my single son still lives with me (he cooks!) and takes care of the stick & brick so I can travel without worry - well maybe LOL!...

I hope to have a rig bought and ready to go for mid-september for a trip to Everglades City!
Old 06-28-2022, 03:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp005 View Post
Left Ohio and landed in Texas - .....

I hope to have a rig bought and ready to go for mid-september for a trip to Everglades City!
May I suggest you also visit NIRVC in Lewisville, TX (just N. of Dallas) while you are there.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:59 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Life's Changes

Quote:
It has been a couple years since I lurked around these forums…. My wonderful wife lost her battle with cancer in Oct 2020 and I sort of crawled in a hole for awhile. I sold our 2006 Journey in Jan 2021 (too many memories) and bought a new Lance truck camper. I do enjoy the mobility of the TC but I have found my direction again and it includes wintering in places like Florida or Tucson and a TC is rather small for a couple month stay.

I looked at buying a house in Florida but realized I really don’t want to always go to the same place every year. While real estate is a much better investment, this is more about happiness - and that I now realize, requires a motorhome for me :-)

Interesting times right now shopping for a coach! I’m looking in the 200k or under used market and finding lots of nice coaches in the 2008 - 2018 range. Wondering how much I should push back on the dealer pricing.. I wonder just how many are shopping for DPs with the diesel prices…. Hoping it works for me.

I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions as the search gets rolling and I find different rigs to look at!

One thing that concerns me somewhat is the age of the coach in relation to restrictions at some RV Resorts. I know how many of you feel about those restrictions but I enjoy the resorts and may ultimately buy a lot in one at some point as a winter home base.
Thanks for telling your story. We are here for you to advise in your future RV endeavors!

Life is good, take care
Old 06-29-2022, 08:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Left Ohio and landed in Texas - from humid to REALLY humid :-) I'm charting a different path - go wherever my heart takes me LOL!

The kids are grown and my single son still lives with me (he cooks!) and takes care of the stick & brick so I can travel without worry - well maybe LOL!...

The sunny daze is what we really wanted and a reduction in the cold days. The humidity is variable depending on what part of TX and within those parts there are neat microclimate zones... kinda neat. We wanted a small town as well, and yep when we moved it was small but it started taking steroids! Unlike the towns in Oh which grow at a steady pace which is varied based on locale.

Happy with the move to TX, the HOa is a real pain though, kinda wish I could have done without but the DW wanted this development and so here we is, the temp house we had found was a totally awesome find, alas only 2 garages, but 5 brs and 3 bath corner lot in a cul-de-sac with a widening lot, but a short drive was a negative and the view was well disappearing with each new row of houses! Two years and positive fin kick then into this current build nightmare.... but on a plus note, when we were signing the closing documents at the new house the realtor offered on the spot 100k more than invested for the new house... told him come back in 10 !

All the best with your quest. Its a compensatory decision, as in tally up the pluses and the minuses of each rig and some features worth more than others etc and outcomes the resulting choice.... best choice at that point in time... works for every thing.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:26 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:

Hello SMP005,

I’m sorry to hear about your dear wife. I am so glad you are considering a motorhome again. I am lucky enough to have a job where I get to see my customers thriving in the RV lifestyle each day! Whether it’s a day at the office with customers or at an AIM Rally (All Inclusive Motorhome Club) enjoying each other’s company and participating in new adventures, the RV Lifestyle is the way to go! I am always amazed and inspired by all the RVers out there living their best lives!

Since edgray was kind enough to refer you to us ,please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have!

Angie
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
214-392-1100
Angie Morell is offline   Reply With Quote