Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #1

HELP

Ok, I know this may sound like a crazy (stupid) question. So I'll get that out of the way first.

So, my wife and I just went through Hurricane IDA where our parish took a direct hit. We lived on our 2020 Class A Fleetwood for 19 days and our Cummins Onan 5500 performed well after two oil changes and hundreds of dollars in gas.

We're now considering a whole home generator and would have to get natural gas to our home (it is on my street). A friend of mine stated to me that instead of spending thousands on a whole home generator, I should be able to convert the natural gas to a 50 amp converter and just run my RV like I would at a full hookup campsite.

Is this event possible? Has anyone done this before. If not, any other suggestions.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you saying that you want to convert your generator to run natural gas then pipe the street feed to the motorhome?
Old 09-27-2021, 03:55 PM   #3

Natural gas generators are great when the gas is on, but the last natural disaster I was in caused gas leaks across the county and gas was eventually turned off for weeks for repair.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVE9TPR View Post
Ok, I know this may sound like a crazy (stupid) question. So I'll get that out of the way first.

So, my wife and I just went through Hurricane IDA where our parish took a direct hit. We lived on our 2020 Class A Fleetwood for 19 days and our Cummins Onan 5500 performed well after two oil changes and hundreds of dollars in gas.

We're now considering a whole home generator and would have to get natural gas to our home (it is on my street). A friend of mine stated to me that instead of spending thousands on a whole home generator, I should be able to convert the natural gas to a 50 amp converter and just run my RV like I would at a full hookup campsite.

Is this event possible? Has anyone done this before. If not, any other suggestions.

Thanks

Donít understand your question?
Do you want to convert your genny to LP?
Do you want something running off of LP to run RV?
Old 09-27-2021, 04:39 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVE9TPR View Post

Thanks
Could you convert your RV Generator to run on Natural Gas? Yes. Most, (not all) gas powered generators can be converted to run on either propane or natural gas.

Could you run natural gas into your house? (sounds like you don't have it now) and then plumb a gas line outdoors that you would have to hook up to your coach to run the generator? Yes.

Is it smart? No. A lot of big industries, factories, offices and hospitals have natural gas powered generators and that works fine, as long as the gas stays on. Your electric went down, why do you think the same might not happen to natural gas?

And hundreds of dollars in gasoline. Yes. But how much cheaper do you think a natural gas. I wondered so I looked it up.

"How efficient are natural gas generators?
Both natural gas and diesel engines, along with gen sets, have proven performance and reliability. ... Natural gas generators can meet the :10 startup time required for emergency power systems. The overall efficiency (HHV/kWe) of diesel generators is 15% - 25% higher than natural gas."

If I lived in an area that has frequent power outages I would have a portable generator. How big? How much do you need to keep the fridge and freezer cold? Charge your devices and watch TV for news etc.

Personally I would put a 5000 watt diesel at the house with a manual transfer switch. Get it up high enough if you are flood prone, and add a 100 gallon diesel tank. Remember, when you buy of road fuel, you don't pay road taxes on it. It comes with red dye. Keep the tank full. Run it once a month for an hour. Put fuel treatment in it and replace the 3 gallons you burned over that hour. If you have a long power outage, you'll have to go for or have delivered more fuel, but then when you want to go camping your generator will run on whatever it normally does.

A few years back we had a power outage. We get snow not floods. Power was out for 4 days. I pulled my Class A into the driveway and ran extension cords to the furnace, fridge tv's I burned about 1/3 to 1/2 gallon an hour.

Buy the gas or diesel and be done with it. Your spending a lot, setting up a lot for a situation that might not happen for years, or could happen next week. Just be prepared.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Are you saying that you want to convert your generator to run natural gas then pipe the street feed to the motorhome?
That is what he was saying.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Donít understand your question?
Do you want to convert your genny to LP?
Do you want something running off of LP to run RV?
He wants to run natural gas from his street and run the RV generator on natural gas.

I know, it hard to wrap your mind around such a complicated and really a nonsense plan.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:44 PM   #8

WOW, now I have a headache. LOL. More complicated than I was thinking. That's why I posted the question. I knew I would get great answers.

Thanks