Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think you will always find someone near your site that will be glad to assist you if you explain the circumstances!

As someone has already said, you can almost always find campgrounds with pull-through sites.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
All hinted at the best advice I could add if you must back in...
always walk the site and think about what you want to do...
when learning, what's wrong with laying a rope along the ground ?

I will not back in to the passenger side...
I always want to come in from the drivers side so that I just know to keep close on that side and 99 times out of a hundred the other side will follow and fit...

to this day my wife thinks her car still doesn't fit in the garage even though she's proven it 100 times or more

So I put a tennis ball hanging from the ceiling and said hit that with your head !
Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #31

I've never quite understood this. You've got two rear view mirrors and a rear view camera. You can see down both sides of the coach and out the back, all from the drivers seat. Why do you need a spotter on the ground just to back the coach into a parking/camping spot? I have backed our 42-footer into parking lots, camp sites and my storage building many, many times and I have never used a spotter on the ground.

You should become more comfortable with using your mirrors and your camera so you develop more confidence in your driving/backing skills.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Maybe carry an orange traffic cone with you and place it near the rear of the site where you want to stop. You can use your rear or side cameras and mirrors to align the motorhome to at least the general area, then get out and see how much you need to adjust your positioning.
This is a good one ,I am going to start doing that .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #33

My girlfriend is somewhat "challenged" as well when it comes to providing assistance backing. Clueless might be a better word? Even though I am pretty good at wadding a coach into small areas/around obstacles, I've always felt an extra set of eyes never hurt a thing, provide cheap insurance if/when available?

Anyway, lately, after maybe 15K miles of camping experience, she's now pretty capable, has become a "mon back" capable of providing usefull information?

Point being, have patience. Just like backing, guiding takes practice! -Al
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my 5er years I once had walkie talkies from campers world and atleast I could hear when to stop. They did help. Great when the wife went on her walks as well.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Walkie Talkies

Tried 'em

She's also button challenged.

A spotter is good to have in a lot of the places we go. Most of the time I don't need one but if there's overhanging trees or other things that can't be seen in the mirrors it's good to have one.

There's a KOA near us (in Santa Cruz) that has these trees in concrete pipe planters. I've seen more people wipe out the side of their rigs 'cause they can't see them. It's an old KOA and some of the spaces are difficult to get into. Last time we were there they didn't allow anyone to back in without a park employee to guide them.

Sometimes watching 'inexperienced' RVers try to get into a site is the most entertaining part of the day. Heck, watching someone who's good at it is even better!
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Along with a good spotter is the need for good communications. The link below is to a boating site but upon recommendation of a fellow RVer we got the Mariner 500 Headset near the bottom of the page.

Headset Communication Products - Sea Dog Boating Solutions, LLC

The Mariner 500 is fully duplex so there are no buttons to push HOWEVER...it is an AM headset that is subject to interference and short range. Depending on where you are like back at the end of the MH it can be a bit challenging but if you are standing in front of the driver assisting in a backup it works well. We use it for all kinds of coordination such as backing, setting the tow bar legs, and anything requiring someone to be in the MH and the other outside. It was invaluable when we were setting up our AFO and I needed Sandee to test brakes and toad wiring.

So, it does the job but sometimes the static can be very strong. Generally, it works very well in front of the driver and gets worse as you get directly behind the MH. For the price, it is worth it.

I am considering the higher priced Eartec system at the top of the page because of the reviews. The range and lack of static could be very much worth the price.

I don't like the idea of using our cell phones because they aren't truly duplex. If one is talking, the can't hear or at least the other person's voice is broken up. The headset we have is much better because we can hear each other trying to get the last word...even at the same time.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We use two-way radio walkie-talkies from Walmart works great
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
The advice about just stopping and getting out and seeing what is going on as many times as you feel safe is good. Another simple help is to lower your mirrors so you can see the right
wheels and their alignment to your parking site. I would also suggest never try to backup at night
without a spotter and good visibility. When in doubt, stop, set brake a look for yourself.
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpeddler View Post
As I've stated in previous posts, the DW and I are heading out across the country from Florida in a couple of weeks. This will be our first RV trip with the exception of two local weekend trips.

The DW, for medical reasons, cannot help me back the rig into a camp site. We've tried practicing it several times and she just can't understand the principal and confuses left and right. (And yes, I'm serious).

I am 71 and still have troubles telling right from left. I might also add that I am ambidextrous. Is your wife similarly burdened?

So, I'm going to be at the mercy of complete strangers I find around the camp site to help me back into a camp site and wanting some opinions from those with experience. Do you think I'll have any problem finding a helping hand? Would you even ask a stranger to assist you? What do solo travelers do?

I did observe on our two weekend trips that when a new rig arrives, people tend to come out to watch. Maybe just to be sure their stuff doesn't get run over? LOL. Anyway, how would you handle this situation?
DO you have a rear view camera? They work wonders.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #40

I'd love to help anyone that needs it but after getting my head bit off a couple times I just no longer ask.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #41

One time a campground employee offered to help me back in. I said, "thanks but my wife can help" His reply was, "just let me help. You probably won't scream and cuss at ME" LOL

I worked for a very large RV dealer one winter. They had 13 large dealerships. They had a policy that anyone caught backing a motor home without a "spotter" would be fired. They claimed that policy saved them several hundred thousand dollars a year in damages.
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
I'd love to help anyone that needs it but after getting my head bit off a couple times I just no longer ask.
Sad but true. There's always one in...
No one has all the answers. The more suggestions one has the better to pick and choose one that may work.
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote