Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan
I'd love to help anyone that needs it but after getting my head bit off a couple times I just no longer ask.
The worst part about it is I always seem to be set up next to them and they only offer their expertise after the fact. It's pretty amazing what a couple of numbskull good neighbors can fix / accomplish in a CG. I have had much more luck with regular Joes putting their heads together than from the after the fact expert. I carry more tools than I will need, for jobs I might not be able to do - just so I can be a good neighbor to a guy with more talent and less tools to borrow. Figure I can help and learn something while I'm at it. After all, what the heck else am I doing- Just hanging out and experiencing life. Don't let the bullies keep ya from asking. They're outnumbered.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my first motorhome in Feb. 1974. I was so proud of the fact that I had never put a scratch on any of my motorhomes until Dec of 1995. We were leaving my dads house and I asked my wife to get out and watch for me as I backed out the drive. My son-in-law jumped up and said I will watch. Out the door he went before I could argue. I shouted out the window, I will watch the left side and you watch the passenger side. I backed up about a hundred feet and i saw something out the corner of my eye. It was my Son-in-law walking away from us. At just that time I hit the entrance fence at the end of the driveway. It tore up the awning arm and ripped the awning foot out of the side of the motorhome. Til this day, no one but my wife watches for me. If she can't do it, I would rather get in and out and check myself, rather than trust someone you don't know.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #45

I use head phones with a VOX. My DW can understand my questions and also tell me by voice what is happening.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I bought my first motorhome in Feb. 1974. I was so proud of the fact that I had never put a scratch on any of my motorhomes until Dec of 1995. We were leaving my dads house and I asked my wife to get out and watch for me as I backed out the drive. My son-in-law jumped up and said I will watch. Out the door he went before I could argue. I shouted out the window, I will watch the left side and you watch the passenger side. I backed up about a hundred feet and i saw something out the corner of my eye. It was my Son-in-law walking away from us. At just that time I hit the entrance fence at the end of the driveway. It tore up the awning arm and ripped the awning foot out of the side of the motorhome. Til this day, no one but my wife watches for me. If she can't do it, I would rather get in and out and check myself, rather than trust someone you don't know.
Lucky!

Long story short my Magellan GPS had me exit the freeway multiple times, drive around on service roads and then reenter the freeway. Oh but there is more! Once we were off the freeway for good it took me down roads I couldn't fit and then told me to make a uturn! 7 times. SEVEN TIMES! As you could imagine I was pissed off and stressed so when we get to the site after 11pm and 2 hours going 1 mile due to all the roads it took me down and having to disconnect toad etc I wanted to park and go to sleep. My day doesn't end there....

It's 11pm on the ocean so it's quiet. That is until my loud diesel comes in and goes into high idle as I disconnect toad walk site etc. So as you can imagine people start to look, no problem I back in tight spots all the time. Wife helps me every time and she is usually good but oh boy not tonight. I start to maneuver and the entire time I never took my eyes of her since everything I need to see is on the drivers side and I confirmed this walking the site. Well 10 seconds in I hear CRUNCH! Then SCRAP! Then CRACK! and then I hear myself cursing up a storm all the while my wife is giving me 'come on back' signal. I get out and look and my wife had me backing over either a small tree or a big bush with thick branches. I asked her nicely (yea right) [moderator edit] is that?! which she says 'I didn't see it'

Not a good night but I am sure we entertained some people
Old 04-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
Lucky!

Long story short my Magellan GPS had me exit the freeway multiple times, drive around on service roads and then reenter the freeway. Oh but there is more! Once we were off the freeway for good it took me down roads I couldn't fit and then told me to make a uturn! 7 times. SEVEN TIMES!
My Garmin will do the same - but you can control it. If you choose to route using "Shortest Distance" then it will do just that - if taking the off-ramp, then coming right back on the on-ramp is a few feet shorter than staying on the freeway, then that's the way it wants you to go. If you select "Fastest Route" then it'll usually keep you on the freeway. And you can set it to avoid U-turns as well. In the motorhome mine is set to avoid all roads except highways, and to use the fastest route. When we're in the car we can change the options since the car is easier to maneuver in...
Old 04-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post

My Garmin will do the same - but you can control it. If you choose to route using "Shortest Distance" then it will do just that - if taking the off-ramp, then coming right back on the on-ramp is a few feet shorter than staying on the freeway, then that's the way it wants you to go. If you select "Fastest Route" then it'll usually keep you on the freeway. And you can set it to avoid U-turns as well. In the motorhome mine is set to avoid all roads except highways, and to use the fastest route. When we're in the car we can change the options since the car is easier to maneuver in...
All those are selected. The Magellan is just a hunk of junk
Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #49

Update no. II: Yesterday the DW decided that a little practice backing into the driveway would clear everything up for her. So, I fired up the beast, put marks and reference points down for her and pulled out onto the street in front of the house.

We've been watching the Lazy Days videos and hoped to use that system as a guide and she's literally watched the video a dozen times while taking notes. After at least six tries, she still doesn't get it but at least I did no damage to the coach. However, all that maneuvering around in the cramped driveway and narrow street was like a weeks worth of being on the road and the practice did wonders for me. I now feel pretty confident I can get into just about any camp site by myself by walking the site, going real slow, and stopping to get out and look as much as it takes. Asking for help is still on the agenda but not a necessity. I hope.

Worked for me.
speedpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
I am a retired professional driver. There were some years of my experience at driving that I almost never left the yard. My whole shift was to move trailers from one spot to another within the yard and most of those moves resulted in my going backwards more than front. When I did leave the yard it was usually pulling Doubles (Two trailers) It is nearly impossible to back up more than 1 length of a single trailer while they are connected. You just learn to not go there if it resulted in the need to back up to get out of the situation.
I would like to tell you that because of my years of practice that I never need a spotter and I never make mistakes while backing. "Wrong" You may feel that you can back without a spotter, and 99% of the time you probably can. Having another set of eyes may keep you out of trouble!
Learning how to accept the help of your DW or others may be the best piece of advice that I could give you! Just remember, it is "you" not your spotter that is driving the RV. Put the blame on the culprit behind the wheel when things go wrong!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #51

I agree. When I was training for a commercial license my trainer said if in doubt get out & look.. The driver is responsible for his or her action. Just try to tell the insurance company it was the spotter's fault.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #52

You probably aren't missing anything. Based on personal experience and observing others, DW's aren't necessarily helpful in this situation.

Keep in mind that most truck fleets hold the driver responsible for backing accidents regardless of how many spotters were on the scene. In the end, you are your own best friend when it comes to backing up.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #53

My spotter is always the DW. I'm not sure I understand the statement about cell phones not being full-duplex. I have never had one that was NOT full-duplex. Perhaps the poster was speaking about his headsets. We use Plantronics headsets and everything is crystal clear, full duplex. Still works better when she stays in view of a mirror, though.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here's how the pros do it...

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #55
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I for one would rather not put my wife in that position.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #56

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Can't live with 'em, get tired of my own cooking.
My wife's idea of cooking is "where are we going for dinner tonight? Home cooking is a hot dog!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote