Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
Help-Coach step by Lippert issue

Our motorhome was 1 1/2 years old when I had a problem with the steps not deploying.The first issue was the motor malfunctioning sounding like the gears were stripped. I found a replacement motor from the advice of this forum avoiding buying the overpriced OEM part. After installation it still wasn't functioning right. The steps would deploy or retract but not immediately when the door was open or closed. Sometime it would wait a minute to function.

Talking to Lippert there was no definitive answer but it pointed to a bad control module. Installed a new one and same thing. Next a new door switch. Same problem.

Lippert sent me a new warrantied module today and same thing.

I've verified I have 13 volts at the module. There was a concern the ground wasn't good. I ran it right to the battery. Same issue.

I can run the steps with a 12 volt battery and they are not binding.

Lippert techs have no more ideas.

Since the module senses current to stop the motor when extending or retracting,I'm wondering if the replacement motor does not draw as much current as the Lippert motor causing a sensing issue at the module.

Anyone have the same issue? Hope someone has a solution.

Thanks,
Ed
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 AM   #2

Sounds like a real fun one Ed.

Before you replaced the OEM motor, was there any delay after opening/closing the door?

If not, and since everything else (door switch/magnet/control board) has been replaced, then it's possible, as you suggested, the amperage draw difference could be the culprit - although I'm not thoroughly convinced it is the problem. If it tried to start and immediately stopped then I would tend to believe it could be an amperage detection issue. Because of the mechanical operation of the step, I would believe it would fail more often trying to retract rather than deploy since gravity is helping on the way out.

Wild thought.. but is it possible the old/original door magnet had broken in pieces and perhaps a piece of it might be wedged in/near the door switch causing havoc?

Any audio speakers in the immediate vicinity of the door switch?

With the door open using a large magnet of some sort waving it in front of the door switch, do you still have the same delay?
Old 04-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #3

Big magnet same result.

We are on a trip now. At least they function but the delay opening and closing "at Times" is troublesome.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #4

Ed, How long is the delay from the time you open or close the door to the time the steps begin to move. Is it the same delay every time?

Chris
atamians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #5

The extension and retraction is random in occurrence as well as the delay in either in or out. The delay can be seconds or up to around a minute
Old 04-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a thread with your same problem may help you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #7

Coach step update-not solved

Here is an E-mail sent to Lippert

I have a 2011 Thor Daybreak 34 SS motorhome bought new June 2012. In September 2013 the steps malfunctioned. The motor sounded like stripped gears and would stop part way in or out. I replaced the motor with a cross matched one from NAPA and reassembled. Unfortunately the steps still failed to come out so after lots of checking and talking to your tech group I ordered a new module. I put the RV in storage Nov.1 and didn’t get the module put in. Early April this year I took it out of storage and put the new module in. It had intermittent operation. It would sit for a while with the amber light on and no step extension. Then it would come out. Same scenario going in. Sometimes they would work as designed but 80% of the time it waited before moving. With the key on they always retracted. The switch turning them off works so I can keep them out when parked.

1. After talking to your tech group the week of April 13 th. they wanted to know if I went thru all the checklist. I had.

· 13.1 volts. validated
· Ground ok. Even grounded directly to battery.
· Steps disconnected at ball link and validated to work freely
· Steps work well with 12 volt gel cell jumped to the plug. (plug disconnected from module)

2. We decided to replace the door switch. Same issue.

· A replacement module was sent on April 19th. (overnighted after the original replacement module was mistakenly sent to Texas)
· It was installed and worked the best but still had a delay. It waits roughly 30 seconds when it does not respond immediately.(20% of time works as designed)
· Replacement module sent to Texas arrived at my home April 24 th. (we were on our trip in RV)
· I installed it today and same issue but worse than the 2nd. Module. I put the 2nd. Module back in.

3. I called your tech group today and they had no suggestion other than replace the entire step. They agreed I checked everything.

4. I decided to look deeper into the motor assembly.

· Removed the ball link
· The motor worked each and every time immediately as the door was opened and closed!
· I took the motor out and cleaned and greased the gear segment and validated everything worked freely. I had to be sure there was no binding.
· Re assembled and I have the same issue

One more time can you please review and advise what I should do. This is a safety issue when the steps don’t come out. It is a long way down without them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed Dobias
440-263--9807
Old 05-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I've learned a lot about these steps in the past couple of weeks. They appear relatively simple, but can be a devil at times.

Best of luck finding a resolution, and you will find one eventually.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #9

I've been working with Lippert warranty dept. on the step issue. The steps were out of warranty and I did replace the motor with a part other than their unit. However, they decided to help me solve the problem by giving me one of their motors to install in the step.

They went over and above my expectations!

I keep my motorhome in a storage facilty nearby. I'll install it in their customer work area next week and report the results.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #10

Finally got to the motorhome and installed the new step motor. This solved the problem. Works every time with no delay!
Old 06-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
I've been thru everything with mine, and finally gave up and ran an
alternate 12v to the motor, installed a momentary polarity reversing
switch in the coach, and I now run the steps in and out manually.
Simple as can be, no more gremlins creeping thru the overly
complicated electronics.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote