Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2022, 10:40 PM   #1

Help…Extreme Cold While Driving a New To Me DP

We are scheduled to pickup our new to us 05 DP in Houston on Thursday of this week. We will be driving it home to Tulsa where we will be experiencing temperatures from 0 to a high of 16 degrees F. I think the diesel tank will be full or almost full when we take delivery.

I have read about adding anti-gel treatment, but I’m unclear if this will cover me for temps down to the single digits. I would also assume that in Houston they have #2 diesel, and I may not be able to get #1 diesel until I get closer to Tulsa, or maybe not even then.

I have also read about fuel filters gelling up first as it gets cold. This will be my first diesel, so I am wide open to any tips or suggestions for driving it home in extreme cold temperatures. Thanks!
Mark VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2022, 11:41 PM   #2

Are you driving straight through? Or stopping for the night somewhere? While running it is constantly recycling warm fuel back to the tank.

You should be fine but can add some anti-gel additive if that makes you less apprehensive. I would be more concerned about knowing how to run the house heat in a way that keeps the basement warm enough that your water pipes don’t freeze.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 04:34 AM   #3

Hi Mark, Before you head for Tulsa go to your auto store and pick a couple anti-gel, couple of gas filters and wrench, Fill up in Houston and run her home to Tulsa, once home, fill her right up to the top and then pour in some anti-gel. If its to cold in Tulsa, go back to Houston And remember, #1 or #2 fuel, will get you there and back. Have fun.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 05:09 AM   #4

I'd be more concerned about the plumbing being winterized at those temperatures than the fuel gelling.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 07:08 AM   #5

When you get to the Oklahoma border top the tank off with fuel. Before fueling add 32 ounce of Power service diesel fuel supplement. That should get you home.

I would drive straight through without overnighting. I would definitely have it winterized before leaving Houston
Good luck!!
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 07:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Yep, winterizing and adding fuel Winter additive for sure. No problems with fuel gelling as long as you put the right amount of additive like "Heat" in and refill with Winter fuel.

We had many "Southerners" come to us with gelled fuel and plugged filters in the Winter when I was working at our Peterbilt dealership.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 07:56 AM   #7

EDIT:

I left out a key piece of information. I have owned a gasser MH for three years and I plan to winterize it in Houston.

I do appreciate everyone chiming in, especially about the importance of winterizing it in Houston!
Old 12-18-2022, 08:16 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I owned about 25 diesel semis years ago. 0* is not that big a deal. Moisture is. I assume you will have all the plumbing winterized by someone who knows what they are doing.

When you get ready to leave Houston add some diesel fuel anti gel supplement that is also a water dispersant. All the truck stops will have it. If number 1 fuel is available all you need is a 25% mix of 1 to 2. Put the supplement in before fueling so it gets mixed in. I would get the dealership to show you how to change the primary fuel filter. In fact, have them do it and you watch. Also have them check the operation of the air dryer. I doubt that you will have any problems. Good luck and congrats on the new rig.
Fitchburg, WI
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Can you delay the pickup and trip to Tulsa for a few days? This cold front won’t last that long. Unlike up North, we get cold for a few days and then it warms up. The week after Christmas is much warmer than this week. In fact it will be in the 70’s in Houston and near 60 in Tulsa right after Christmas.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Are you driving straight through? Or stopping for the night somewhere? While running it is constantly recycling warm fuel back to the tank.

You should be fine but can add some anti-gel additive if that makes you less apprehensive. I would be more concerned about knowing how to run the house heat in a way that keeps the basement warm enough that your water pipes don’t freeze.
I did not know that running it recycles warm fuel back to the tank. Thanks for the info!

We may not get done with everything until 3-4PM, so we hoped to drive a good 3-4 on Thursday, but as we are watching the forecast, we may just spend the night in Houston and drive the entire trip on Friday.

I am going to winterize the coach before leaving Houston.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
Hi Mark, Before you head for Tulsa go to your auto store and pick a couple anti-gel, couple of gas filters and wrench, Fill up in Houston and run her home to Tulsa, once home, fill her right up to the top and then pour in some anti-gel. If its to cold in Tulsa, go back to Houston And remember, #1 or #2 fuel, will get you there and back. Have fun.
Yes, I plan to go down to Houston with a couple bottles of anti-gel. The seller has the fuel filters, which we plan to replace before making the trip home. I plan to bring a backup of each as well. If I can find some #1 fuel as I head North, I'll top off the tank and then fill it when I get home. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2022, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Can you delay the pickup and trip to Tulsa for a few days? This cold front won’t last that long. Unlike up North, we get cold for a few days and then it warms up. The week after Christmas is much warmer than this week. In fact it will be in the 70’s in Houston and near 60 in Tulsa right after Christmas.
This was my thinking also.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
When you get to the Oklahoma border top the tank off with fuel. Before fueling add 32 ounce of Power service diesel fuel supplement. That should get you home.

I would drive straight through without overnighting. I would definitely have it winterized before leaving Houston
Good luck!!
I will be watching or maybe even calling some stations in advance as we head North.

We may not get done in Houston until 3-4PM and we had considered driving part way home Thursday night, but with the lows being around 10 further North, we now plan to spend the night in Houston and make the long trip home in one day. Not my preference, but with the weather, I think it will be our best choice and yes, I will winterize the rig before leaving Houston.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
I owned about 25 diesel semis years ago. 0* is not that big a deal. Moisture is. I assume you will have all the plumbing winterized by someone who knows what they are doing.

When you get ready to leave Houston add some diesel fuel anti gel supplement that is also a water dispersant. All the truck stops will have it. If number 1 fuel is available all you need is a 25% mix of 1 to 2. Put the supplement in before fueling so it gets mixed in. I would get the dealership to show you how to change the primary fuel filter. In fact, have them do it and you watch. Also have them check the operation of the air dryer. I doubt that you will have any problems. Good luck and congrats on the new rig.
0 not being that big of a deal is good to know. I plan to replace the fuel filter and water separator filter and have the plumbing winterized before leaving Houston. I am buying from a private owner. He has spare filters on hand and said he would show me how to change the filters as he does it. He has never winterized the coach, but I have done that several times, so we should be good.

That's good to know that 25% of #1 will be enough, along with the anti-gel treatment. Thanks for your input!