Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #1

Help / Hydraulic Jacks will not retract

I am stuck in the Elvis Presley campground. I have a 2013 Newmar Baystar 3209. I the hydraulic jack lifted the front wheel off the ground. Now they will not lower the coach and the switch will not shut off then will just start lifting. How can I manually retract them. You can hear the motor running but there is no movement on the jacks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Have you tried starting the engine & then putting the transmission in DRIVE? This worked for me when I had a jack that didn't want to retract. There should be a safety that when this is done the jacks will retract.

Be VERY sure you have your foot on the brake so you don't actually move (or you could bend the jacks) & have earplugs because your jack alarm will be going off.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #3

Insure system is turned off. open the 4 solenoid valve "tee" handles to allow the jack springs to retract the jacks fully up. Close solenoid "tee" handles snugly to secure jacks do not leak down. reference:HWH FAQ page
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:40 PM   #4

If the above suggestions don't work, PLEASE provide us with more information:

Brand and model of jacks?

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If HWH jacks, contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:40 AM   #6

Note that when you are manually relieving the hydraulic pressure on each leg, you need to drop the side of the RV that is twisting the RV chassis the most first (which is not necessarily the leg furthest extended) until the chassis is level and untwisted. Then drop each other leg a little at a time so the chassis is never twisted badly.

And ensure nothing / no one is underneath the rig when you are manually dropping the rig...very easy to drop the rig suddenly.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:17 AM   #7

I recently had a similar issue. Jacks would extend but not retract. I put the RV in Drive with Parking brake on and foot on brake petal. Jacks retracted I then tested the system again and everything worked as designed. Have not had the same issue since and that was 4 months ago.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Interesting that putting it in drive would then force retraction. Is this a back door attempt at tricking the controller to retract through another circuit / means?

I had an issue with 1x jack not retracting and was a bad solenoid valve. Had to manually open the T valve to retract. Now all 4? I would suspect bad controller or bad wiring.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigley View Post
I am stuck in the Elvis Presley campground. I have a 2013 Newmar Baystar 3209. I the hydraulic jack lifted the front wheel off the ground. Now they will not lower the coach and the switch will not shut off then will just start lifting. How can I manually retract them. You can hear the motor running but there is no movement on the jacks.
The "You can hear the motor running but there is no movement on the jacks" brings to mind when one of my jacks did the same and it ended up being a stripped gear. When I ordered the new jack leg, Lippert told me the gear probably stripped due to over extending the leg, your comment "the front wheel off the ground" was what happened when mine stopped working.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
The "You can hear the motor running but there is no movement on the jacks" brings to mind when one of my jacks did the same and it ended up being a stripped gear. When I ordered the new jack leg, Lippert told me the gear probably stripped due to over extending the leg, your comment "the front wheel off the ground" was what happened when mine stopped working.
The OP apparently has a hydraulic system. No gears involved.
Extending a leg to full stroke will not affect the hydraulics.

I would be surprised if full stroke affected yours as well. They are all designed to go full stroke. There is no "over extending" the leg. Sounds like someone trying to shift blame on a broken part.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:24 AM   #11

Would have helped if I had picked up on the key word Hydraulic🤓
rffowler55 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, hydraulic jacks, jacks