Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

Help identifying electrical component where power comes in

Can someone help identify this part? It's in the back electrical cabinet where shore power comes in. This is. 2000 Newmar Dutchstar class a pusher.

At random times it clicks, loud enough I can gear it from my bedroom above it. I don't appear to have any electrical issues but the random clicking doesn't sound normal to me. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	42919  
Turbo38sfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #2

It's the part on the left here's a close up of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	42920  
Old 07-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #3

Looks like a large solenoid to kick in your 12v from the house batteries.
Possibly to shut everything off when you hit your "store" button?
I'd think if it's clicking off and on all the time, it probably needs to be replaced.
Just my guess.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #4

Yep,I agree, clicking doesnt sound right. I want to replace it, but need to know what to tell Newmar I need
Old 07-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #5

I'm thinking battery isolator, its got big wires coming in and big wires going out so it handles something with alot of amps
redfire312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #6

has a part number on it white-rogers 12v such and such I can't quite make it out from the photo
redfire312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #7

Maybe the item needing replacing is the one below solenoid. That's where power comes from to energize solenoid. May be as simple as a loose wire.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #8

Sometimes if you tap lightly on solenoid it will work sometimes they stick, also check voltage from battery and check ground wires for corrosion, if it still does not work get part # off solenoid to match up with new one.

good luck,

Jamesrp
jamesrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Maybe the item needing replacing is the one below solenoid. That's where power comes from to energize solenoid. May be as simple as a loose wire.
Possibly....if I tap the relay or isolator though it makes the clicking sound. All appears tightly connected.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #10

The coil in the solenoid could have gotten weak over time and is having trouble keeping a strong enough field to hold the plunger in.
Or the large copper washer/plate that makes contact can be pitted and making intermittent contact.
It looks like all the info you need is on the side of the solenoid.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's a....

Trombetta switch.

It's job is to tie your house & chassis batteries together under specific conditions. Also when you press the Emergency Start switch if you have one.

I replaced mine a couple of months ago. I think it was around $75.

I took the old one apart and there was nothing wrong with it at all. Simple design and VERY hardy.

The problem probably is not the Trombetta but rather the energizing relay as someone already suggested. Try tapping the relay instead.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Muddy paws is right..

586-902 — 200 Amp Continuous Duty Solenoid
4-Terminal White Rodgers 200 amp continuous duty solenoid. Commonly used by Amtran.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #13

Muddy paws , good info. Last year on a road trip 1000 miles from home my alternator died. When I called freightliner the guy told me the house and chassis batteries were separated, but if I push the emergency start dash switch with the genny running, I could drive and not die, which was the case with the fried alternator. So I jumped out the back of the emergency start switch to get by till I replaced the alt a day later. Perhaps it weakened the trombetta
Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
That is your battery white roger isolator relay. The black box below it controls it. I can't tell if its a IRD or BIRD since it is blocked. However when you are on shore power if it is a BIRD it activates the relay when the voltage is around 13,5 or higher which means the house batteries are charging and then closes and charges the chassis batteries. It will drop for one reason. If the voltage drops below 13.5 volts. There are 2 reasons. Your charger stopped working or you had a big load on your 12V system. Maybe your HWH system. I don't know. I guess your BIRD could be bad. Something is bringing your voltage below 13.5 volts causing the relay to open. When the load goes away, the voltage goes up and the relay clicks back on. I hope this helps.
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, power