Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2015, 10:30 PM   #1

Help,looking at 2007 Alfa.

I am going tomorrow to look at a 2007 See ya Alfa 40 ft One large slide on the drivers side and one tip out in the bedroom (drivers side) I kinda know the usual things to look for like tire dates, battery, Rust and leaks, but what else with this particular coach. It has a 350 hp Cat engine. Any issues with that motor. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I test drove it and it seemed a little loose in the front. Do they have issues with that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 07:24 AM   #2

Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgoodtimes View Post
I am going tomorrow to look at a 2007 See ya Alfa 40 ft One large slide on the drivers side and one tip out in the bedroom (drivers side) I kinda know the usual things to look for like tire dates, battery, Rust and leaks, but what else with this particular coach. It has a 350 hp Cat engine. Any issues with that motor. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I test drove it and it seemed a little loose in the front. Do they have issues with that.
Alfa's are noted for their slides sticking, seen a lot of them in rv parks with slides half out.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
The alfas I have looked at had finish problems, delamination and peeling clear coat. Very obvious.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ALFA

I don't own one but i have a friend who does and he loves it, however delamination is a serious problem.
Dave9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the tips. I will pay close attention to that. Anything else. I ignorantly put this message on the Cat motor forum and the freight liner forum for info but I found out that was a no no (sorry) so any advice on those subjects.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #6

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

I would not recommend the purchase of an Alpha. The engine is fine but the house quality is not where it should be.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
I would not recommend the purchase of an Alpha. The engine is fine but the house quality is not where it should be.
That's what I found too, even the Alpha Gold was not that well constructed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 40 ft 2006 Alfa and love it. There seems to be a lot of folks who REALLY don't like Alfa on this site. (Haven't encountered that on the other Rv site I frequent, message me if you want a link to that site) If you want good information from people who actually own Alfas, check out the yahoo Alfa forums. Those people are knowledgable, helpful and very friendly. If you want the links, message me. The delamination issue can be a problem, but less likely if you get a used unit and are not in a place with a lot of wet cold freezing weather. As far as I'm concerned, the house quality is just fine. I have solid wood cabinets, strong door catches, solid floor, and I haven't seen any more issues with slides then other brands have. Alfas are built on the same frame as many other motorhomes, and have either a Cat or cummins engine. So the "bones" are good.
Suzque49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's not that we "REALLY don't like Alpha's", it's that the quality of construction wasn't there. I pulled drawers out and looked behind them, as well as looked at the drawer construction too. What I found reminded me of the '98 Santara gas unit we had.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #11

Cat C7 is a good motor Most Mixer Trucks have it
Old 10-30-2015, 06:21 AM   #12

alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
It's not that we "REALLY don't like Alpha's", it's that the quality of construction wasn't there. I pulled drawers out and looked behind them, as well as looked at the drawer construction too. What I found reminded me of the '98 Santara gas unit we had.

I agree, when I first got interested in getting a M.H., I liked Alfa's They were roomy and tall ceilings. Then started seeing for myself that cheap contruction, those outside doors, and so many folks that have them their slides give them trouble. I know of one he can't get his bedroom slide out fully without fear that it won't come in. Also, the delamination problem.
I quit looking at them and just look at all the negitives. Now that I own a National, seeing how they are contructed, I would buy another one.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #13

It's not really delamination. They had problems with the fiberglass, I think it's called gel pop. The sides have pitted holes that look like it was shot with a shotgun.
Take a good look at the outer fiberglass.
Alfas are the stepchild of motorhomes.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #14

thanks for all the advice. We went back to take a closer look for rust and cut wires ect. and they were selling it to some one else, so I guess it was not ment to be. We test road a 06 tradewinds 40 that drove very well, It had a Freight linner chassis with independent front suspention. We will keep looking. Again Thanks for the help.