Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 05:11 AM   #1
WDW

Help me correct this

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2299.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	347109

While investigating to find the bypass valves for the on-demand Truma we had our dealer add to the coach when we bought it, we discovered these electrical connections with wire nuts. I know that that is not safe or correct for MHs, so point me in the right direction of what I should replace these with.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 05:38 AM   #2

WDW-

Where I have found (or added ) wire nuts, I apply vinyl electrical tape around them to keep the nuts from loosening.

You can protect them by enclosing in a junction box, but the same problem (of the wire nuts coming loose) exists inside or outside a junction box.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
WDW-

Where I have found (or added ) wire nuts, I apply vinyl electrical tape around them to keep the nuts from loosening.

You can protect them by enclosing in a junction box, but the same problem (of the wire nuts coming loose) exists inside or outside a junction box.
Agree with what is said above with the following clarifications -

All electrical connections should be contained inside a Listed electrical enclosure (i.e. electrical box) with some form of cover.
The purpose is to capture any arcing or sparking that may occur at the electrical connection and prevent fire of flammable materials in the vicinity.
FWIW - you will find RV and motorhome’s don’t typically have Listed electrical boxes behind the 120VAC receptacle’s - because they are designed to contain any arcing and sparking - it generally takes special tooling to assemble or attach Romex to this type of receptacle (although with a little ingenuity, it can be done without).

For safety reasons, electrical tape wrapping the base of the wire nut to the wiring that it is securing minimizes the risk of the wire nut coming off the connection due to thermal expansion and contraction - which in turn minimizes the chance for arcing/sparking) which leads to fire.

And FWIW#2 - whenever 2 or more wires are to be joined with a wire nut, the wires must first be stripped and twisted together in clockwise direction before installing and securing the wire nut to the connection.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are the ground wires also tied together?
Old 10-25-2021, 08:57 AM   #5

I'll assume the wiring was for the original water heater 120 volt supply.

Only seeing one white wire with a cap , if there is only one black wire with a cap, then testing to see if the wire is live is the next step .
Could be the installer disconnected the wiring in the 120 volt circuit breaker panel too. If the wiring is dead , you can leave it as is .
If live , placing it inside a box , is required.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post

And FWIW#2 - whenever 2 or more wires are to be joined with a wire nut, the wires must first be stripped and twisted together in clockwise direction before installing and securing the wire nut to the connection.
This has been an ongoing debate in the trade for decades, to pre-twist or not? Some wire nuts even say on the box not necessary to pre-twist. When attaching solid to stranded I never pre-twist, let the stranded lead a tiny bit and it will all pull together tightly. Solid to solid I sometimes twist if there are more than 2 wires, however no code or product instructions require pre-twisting. When pre-twisting one must be careful not to damage or abrade the conductors.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Are the ground wires also tied together?
In every junction box all grounding wires must be connected even if there are multiple circuits in the box. Additionally, if the box is metal, the grounding conductors must be grounded to the box with a listed grounding screw or clip. (The screws that hold the lid on are not to be used to connect a grounding conductor).
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #8

If you aren't comfortable working around electricity, MAKE SURE THE CIRCUIT IS DEAD! (no shore power, no genset power, no inverter power).

Not that it matters, but it looks like there's only one wire underneath the wire nut. In other words, a terminated circuit. Whether or not it is, I'd just make sure the wire nuts were secure and then add a bit of tape to keep them from loosening. It wouldn't hurt anything to wrap tape around the whole shebang afterwards.

You can always add a box to tidy up things if you want. Get the wires into it first, then follow the above procedure for insulating them.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
They just capped off a wire they're no longer using. I would put a tag on it, explaining what it was for, and then tape it over with electrical tape. You can turn the circuit off if that wire is hot, but that may turn off other things powered by that circuit.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

What Don said. But regardless, it's always wise to tape a wire nut so that it can't wiggle use. Especially in an RV, where road vibration and wide temperature swings can loosen most any connection.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:46 PM   #11

Are both the hot, neutral, and ground wires single ended? Second is the hot, black wire, live? Use a non contact voltage tester with the RV plugged in or the generator running. The non contact voltage testers do not cost much. Do tape the wire nuts on, but use a good electrical tape like 3M. Most cheep electrical tapes unwrap over time. Sometimes within a day they start to unwrap. Single ended or not, the Romex needs to be inside an electrical box. As sated, if the box is metal, the box must also be grounded. A box cover must also be used. If the Romex is single ended, a tag should be put on the Romex and box stating that it is single ended and unused and that it is or not live. I think I stated everything everyone has stated, but in one place so you could follow it easier.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote