Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Help me decide about tires

My fronts are 6 years old and are too weather checked to use. Since the rears are the same age, I looked into replacing all 8 tires. They are Michelin XZA3 (275/80-22.5). Since I am dealing with a front axle that is a couple of hundred pounds overweight, I am going up a size to 295/80. Freightliner tells me the weakest link on the front axle are the tires. The n ext weakest link is about 300 lbs higher and that should be enough.

The out the door quote for the 2 front tires and 6 rears is around $5800 (WOW!!!!). I asked for a less expensive alternative and the dealer quoted Yokohamas for the front and Generals for the rear. This would save me about $1300.

Another shop quoted me about the same price ($4500) for Toyos all the way around. I haven't read any comments about Yokohamas or Generals on Class As (but I have run them both on autos without any issues). I have read that some people don't like Toyos on the steers because they feel 'squishy'.\

Comments?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just replaced our front Michelins with Toyos and no "squisy's". I really like them.

Mike
Old 05-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hankooks would be a good choice.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
If you are not a member, join FMCA

FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos.

They have a national account with Michelin, great
tires at great prices. You will not be disappointed !
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #5

Help me decide about tires

I managed a fleet of OTR trucks years ago. If a new tractor came with Michelins we ran them but we bought nothing but Toyos and Yokahamas and these tractors averaged 220k a year in team ops. My brother did the same in Alaska and their first choice was Yokohamas followed by Toyo. I have have to buy tires next year and it will be those or BF Goodrich or Dunlap. I don't badmouth Michelin but am not going to spend my money on them.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 05-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
If you are not a member, join FMCA

FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos.

They have a national account with Michelin, great
tires at great prices. You will not be disappointed !
Somehow that part is missing from the post. The Michelin price was with the FMCA discount.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #7

If the Toyo or Yokohama tire is so good, why do so many new motor homes come with Michelin's when the manufacturers could save money on every coach?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If the Toyo or Yokohama tire is so good, why do so many new motor homes come with Michelin's when the manufacturers could save money on every coach?
Good question
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I am not sure how to respond to this. If Michelins are so good, why are there dozens of other companies that make tires that run down the road every day?

I assume that you feel like Michelins have something that makes them worth so much more than other tires. The whole purpose of this post was to get information. What are the properties that make them worth it? Help me understand.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
We just replaced our front Michelins with Toyos and no "squisy's". I really like them.

I put Toyo's on the front two years ago. After 15,000 miles, I've not felt any squish either.

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
My fronts are 6 years old and are too weather checked to use. Since the rears are the same age, I looked into replacing all 8 tires. They are Michelin XZA3 (275/80-22.5). Since I am dealing with a front axle that is a couple of hundred pounds overweight, I am going up a size to 295/80. Freightliner tells me the weakest link on the front axle are the tires. The n ext weakest link is about 300 lbs higher and that should be enough.

The out the door quote for the 2 front tires and 6 rears is around $5800 (WOW!!!!). I asked for a less expensive alternative and the dealer quoted Yokohamas for the front and Generals for the rear. This would save me about $1300.

Another shop quoted me about the same price ($4500) for Toyos all the way around. I haven't read any comments about Yokohamas or Generals on Class As (but I have run them both on autos without any issues). I have read that some people don't like Toyos on the steers because they feel 'squishy'.\

Comments?
I just put (4) 275 x 45 x R22.5 Toyo's on the rear. My out the door price was less than $500 each. $4500 for the larger tires you are looking at is probably on target.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my cracked Michelin's with Toyo's almost 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. I saved $1300 and can't feel any difference in ride or handling. The Toyo's still look new, unlike my Michelin's which showed cracking in the 2nd year.

I run Michelin's on my cars so this isn't an anti Michelin rant.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #12

Didn't it use to be that Michelin and Goodyear were the only tire manufacturers that specifically had tires for RVs? I'm not sure if that is still the case or not but most other manufacturer's tires are marketed for trucks although you can still use them on RVs. We've all heard the rumors that RV-specific tires had more UV protectant built into the sidewalls but we've also heard that being debunked by some too. And, we all know that truck tires have stiffer sidewalls and give a rougher ride ...also kind of disputed by some.

It's been pounded in our collective heads (as RV owners) that Michelins give the most comfortable ride. However, I personally am not entirely convinced and even if so, I'm not sure just how much that comfort would be worth the extra money spent. Like most, I had Michelins on several RVs from the factory but replaced them with truck tires when the time came and I can't really tell that much difference in ride the way some declare there is ...but that's just me. I'd rather save the money so it can more easily be justified in replacing tires more often. But again, that's just me.

BTW, I have on occasion purchased Michelins for my cars as some of their selections do last much longer. However, since tires on motorhomes seldom (if ever) reach their full treadwear potential, it's a different scenario for me when purchasing tires for a motorhome.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:40 PM   #13

We replaced our 10 yo Michelins last year with 50 K miles. There was minor cracking nothing serious or dangerous. When you figure a tire last 7-10 years the difference between a Michelin and a knock off is miniscule. Its simply not worth it. The wife and I rest easy with Michelins.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:01 PM   #14

Tires actually have a break-in period, during which they may feel squishy,not track well, etc. Drive easier for the first 500 miles to wear off the release agent from the molding process, and to establish the proper wear pattern. This applies to ALL new tires, brand immaterial.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires