Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2021, 05:10 AM   #1

Help Me Find a Good Used Diesel Pusher...

I've owned several tow-behinds but I've decided to give RVing a go. I'm looking for a good used diesel pusher that meets the following criteria

$70,000 maximum budget. (prefer to spend much less, like sub $50k, but will pay for the right unit)

30'-40' in length (prefer under 40' but I'll use 40' as max)

Pre EPA equipment era technology. I don't want to deal with DEF/DPF, ect.

At least 2 comfortable sleeping areas. I don't want my daughter to have to sleep in a converted dinette or crappy jackknife sofa.

Comfortable ride, fun to drive. I assume this means only looking at air-ride rigs but I'm not positive. I just know that the drive is a big part of the trip for me so I want a rig that drives and rides really well.

High quality brand and a model without any inherent, fatal flaws. This is where I need the most help since my budget is going to put me into a 10+ year old unit. Many of these mfg's are no longer in business and I don't really know what was top of the line and what was entry level back then.

My location is Southwest Florida but will travel for the right unit.

Thanks in advance for any help!
SWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2021, 06:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL View Post
I've owned several tow-behinds but I've decided to give RVing a go. I'm looking for a good used diesel pusher that meets the following criteria

1. $70,000 maximum budget. (prefer to spend much less, like sub $50k, but will pay for the right unit)

2. 30'-40' in length (prefer under 40' but I'll use 40' as max)

3. Pre EPA equipment era technology. I don't want to deal with DEF/DPF, ect.

4. At least 2 comfortable sleeping areas. I don't want my daughter to have to sleep in a converted dinette or crappy jackknife sofa.

5. Comfortable ride, fun to drive. I assume this means only looking at air-ride rigs but I'm not positive. I just know that the drive is a big part of the trip for me so I want a rig that drives and rides really well.

6. High quality brand and a model without any inherent, fatal flaws. This is where I need the most help since my budget is going to put me into a 10+ year old unit. Many of these mfg's are no longer in business and I don't really know what was top of the line and what was entry level back then.

# 4 will be a challenge - your best bet is to find one with a pull out or jackknife and replace it with a better sleeper sofa

#5 will definitely be air ride, but handling on older rigs varies a lot with brand quality, mileage, and maintenance habits. Also Newmar introduced “Comfort Drive” in 2008 on their full line of DPs. But there is after market stuff that improves ride and handling.

#6 is probably the biggest challenge. You will probably have to look in the 15-20 year range for that budget. At here are a lot of good coaches with pre ‘07 emissions, and some that were built a couple years later with ‘07 engines the manufacturers bought up, but that was also about the time things went bust for a lot of them.

What I have done is to go on RVT and RVTrader, create some advanced searches with alerts, and when “the rig” comes up, put a deposit on it that day and jump on a plane and go get it, because if you find what you’re looking for in your price range, you’re going to have some competition.

Here’s an example: https://www.rvt.com/New-and-Used-Cla...ort=price_high I’d concentrate on Monaco, Country Coach, Tiffin, Newmar, Holiday Rambler, Winnebago, and Fleetwood - not necessarily in that order. There are other good “orphan” coaches some I don’t know enough about them to comment, and others such as Foretravel and Alpine probably won’t appear in this price range.
Good Luck!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:07 AM   #3

[Mod Edit]

I agree with the two sleeping areas being something to work around, unless you find a custom optioned coach. Everything else on your list is doable with a good search and patience. Pre-2007 model year engines are what you want, but the year of the coach might be up to two years newer. Do some asking about engine serial numbers on coaches you like.

The key to a good older coach is maintenance. Records are very important. Being an orphan is not really an issue, IMO, as the chassis and running gear is still manufactured in most cases, and the appliances are all third party. Outside of body work or cabinetry, there are few proprietary parts.

Your budget should find you a high quality vintage coach in well kept condition, but prices are at a premium right now. I’d suggest you also go for the highest hp engine you can find and either a Cummins ISC or ISL. or comparable Cat.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Here’s a relatively low mileage Alpine 40 ISL sneaking in under the wire at $69,900. 293 pics, a video and the floor plan. I haven’t examined it but it looks like a good add. Enjoy!
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...DTS-5014979487
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:56 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Scout out enthusiast Sell pages on Facebook

Here..for example
https://www.facebook.com/groups/382720752398629
Old 04-20-2021, 01:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Here’s a relatively low mileage Alpine 40 ISL sneaking in under the wire at $69,900. 293 pics, a video and the floor plan. I haven’t examined it but it looks like a good add. Enjoy!
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...DTS-5014979487

I am pretty familiar with Alpine coaches and think highly of them.

BUT, the amount of salt and corrosion on that one would sure rule it out for me.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Journey has a long couch that electrically flattens out into a large bed. The nice thing is that even with it opened you can still get by it.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check Motorhomes of Texas in Nacogdoches, TX. Several nice looking older units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Check Motorhomes of Texas in Nacogdoches, TX. Several nice looking older units.

Ken
Thanks for the referral, they do have some pretty nice looking older DP's.

They've got several Foretravel coaches listed, I don't know anything about that brand. I assume it's a high end/higher quality brand based on the pics and prices?
Old 04-20-2021, 06:19 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

$70,000 maximum budget. (prefer to spend much less, like sub $50k, but will pay for the right unit)

30'-40' in length (prefer under 40' but I'll use 40' as max)

Pre EPA equipment era technology. I don't want to deal with DEF/DPF, ect.

At least 2 comfortable sleeping areas. I don't want my daughter to have to sleep in a converted dinette or crappy jackknife sofa.

Comfortable ride, fun to drive. I assume this means only looking at air-ride rigs but I'm not positive. I just know that the drive is a big part of the trip for me so I want a rig that drives and rides really well.

High quality brand and a model without any inherent, fatal flaws. This is where I need the most help since my budget is going to put me into a 10+ year old unit. Many of these mfg's are no longer in business and I don't really know what was top of the line and what was entry level back then.

You can find DP's for 50k, but you'll get a lot more if you can get into 65k range. The bunkhouse models are rare, but sometimes I have seen them go cheaper because most do not want them. I started searching last year about this time and found 2 I really liked. A HR 40PDQ and a Winnebago 39K. Both were between 60-70K

If possible, I would try and find a private party one. I got the Winnie off an elderly farm couple that took it to Arizona for the winter and it went in the shed in Iowa for the summer. Don't get concerned about the difference between 35k miles and 65k miles. Both are nothing on a DP if they have been maintained.

I bought what was in my budget at the time, knowing in a few years I would upgrade one more time. Yes, I do make more money in retirement than I did working. So I have been shopping. Seems like the prices are a little better Midwest and not to far SW. Florida seems high.

FYI. When I first semi-retired I bought a 2000 HR Endeavor 36' V10 Ford and took it to Mazatlan Mx every winter for 5 years. This was the first trip in the DP and I was amazed how I ever survived pounding it and myself down the road. Air ride DP is like going from a Pinto to a Lincoln.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the referral, they do have some pretty nice looking older DP's.

They've got several Foretravel coaches listed, I don't know anything about that brand. I assume it's a high end/higher quality brand based on the pics and prices?
Many people here would lose a digit to own a Foretravel
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:44 PM   #12

Check out buybyebluebird. Randy is a really straight shooter. The Wanderlodge Owners Group has all of the schematics and the expertise to maintain these buses and are always ready to help. Eliminates a lot of concern about owning an orphan. they drive like they are on rails when properly set up and are built on a million mile chassis. Best value around. get one with complete maintenance records. One word of warning on ANY older RV. If you can't do most ( or all ) of the maint yourself it can get very costly, very quickly.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDandGREY View Post
Many people here would lose a digit to own a Foretravel
This one isn't too far from me...

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...320-5016085506

is there something inherently wrong with it? Of is it worth a look?
Old 04-20-2021, 07:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Check out buybyebluebird. Randy is a really straight shooter. The Wanderlodge Owners Group has all of the schematics and the expertise to maintain these buses and are always ready to help. Eliminates a lot of concern about owning an orphan. they drive like they are on rails when properly set up and are built on a million mile chassis. Best value around. get one with complete maintenance records. One word of warning on ANY older RV. If you can't do most ( or all ) of the maint yourself it can get very costly, very quickly.

The Bluebird idea is pretty cool to me. I'll take a look, thanks!

Tags
diesel