Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #15

Thanks for the replies

Thank you guys for taking time to provide your replies. It was not a lack of interest that kept me off-line yesterday.

I have a fair understanding off electrical systems but the complexity of the wiring configuration and the related devices within the system have me baffled. Mark, your LINK to the wiring diagrams is very helpful and I will study further as time permits later today.

I installed the batteries myself and I did take a photo of the battery bank wiring configuration and carefully rewired and tested voltage.

The six (6) batteries are 12 volt. After reading the replies and other related posts, I have a few more checks to investigate but I'm confident that the battery bank is wired correctly.

I will report back when I eventually find the culprit which may help someone else down the road.

Thanks again for all your input!

Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A picture of your battery cable arrangement will be helpfull, in case something is mis-wired.

There are 2 jumpers, one between each pair of 6 volt batteries, that should have nothing else, except the jumper on them.

Here is a graphic.Attachment 290610
In this drawing, what do you think he would measure if the black neg cable from ground is landed on the upper battery negative instead of the lower? It's an easy mistake to make and moves the point of reference.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #17

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	290739

BTW - these batteries weigh a whopping 68lbs each and reside in a pit in the basement.

Hope to never do this job again!
Old 06-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #18

Did anyone tell him to disconnect the charger until the problem is sorted out? Those poor 6v units are going to look like microwaved potatoes soon.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:13 PM   #19

Joopy-

That black plastic rectangular thing hanging off the lower-corner negative post is a temperature sensor. Those sensors, when they fail, can create some odd problems. I would remove that sensor before troubleshooting further. It should not be needed for the charging/monitoring system to work correctly.

Just a suggestion, though. Keep us posted.

Happy to hear you have the 12V stock batteries.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Joopy-

That black plastic rectangular thing hanging off the lower-corner negative post is a temperature sensor. Those sensors, when they fail, can create some odd problems. I would remove that sensor before troubleshooting further. It should not be needed for the charging/monitoring system to work correctly.

Just a suggestion, though. Keep us posted.

Happy to hear you have the 12V stock batteries.

Thanks for that tip, Mark. That little device was on my list to find out its function. Appreciate the suggestion.

Joopy
Old 06-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Compare current to the picture taken of the battery wiring before removal...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #22

update

After once again checking battery bank voltage and block fuses, I then disassemble panels in the basement to access the "manual battery disconnect switch" and the rear of the inverter to check the low voltage out of the inverter. I'm plugged in to shore power so I have 13.5v in and out of the inverter.

I then accessed the rear of the 12 volt panel which requires lifting the bed. The main 12 volt cable into the panel is measuring 13.5 volts.

So, at this point I believe I can eliminate all components on the upstream of the inverter since I have the proper voltage input to the 12 volt distribution panel. Looking at the online wiring diagram the 12 panel has six circuit boards with various relays. My "guess" at this point is that one or more circuit boards are defective. I'm comfortable with basic electrical devices but electronic devices and circuitry is out of my realm of troubleshooting. Next step is to contact the Winnebago rep again to see if they can provide guidance.

More to come...

Joopy
Old 06-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
After once again checking battery bank voltage and block fuses, I then disassemble panels in the basement to access the "manual battery disconnect switch" and the rear of the inverter to check the low voltage out of the inverter. I'm plugged in to shore power so I have 13.5v in and out of the inverter.

I then accessed the rear of the 12 volt panel which requires lifting the bed. The main 12 volt cable into the panel is measuring 13.5 volts.

So, at this point I believe I can eliminate all components on the upstream of the inverter since I have the proper voltage input to the 12 volt distribution panel. Looking at the online wiring diagram the 12 panel has six circuit boards with various relays. My "guess" at this point is that one or more circuit boards are defective. I'm comfortable with basic electrical devices but electronic devices and circuitry is out of my realm of troubleshooting. Next step is to contact the Winnebago rep again to see if they can provide guidance.

More to come...

Joopy
If you have 13.5 in those three places this doesn't make sense that 12 volt items don't work

Are your grounds good, loosened, buffed and tightened?
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #24

latest...

The Winnebago rep still couldn't help but referred me to the support at Firefly. Firefly is the system Winny uses for the 12 volt components such as the multiplex switches for lighting; fans; tank monitors; battery monitors; etc.

The rep at Firefly walked me through several troubleshooting steps at the circuit boards behind the panel. It appears was though my "brain" board is fried and perhaps one or two more boards of the six boards. I'm awaiting a proposal for the replacement boards. I appreciated his knowledge and I sure hope this will resolve this most aggravating problem. I will provide the final solution once known.

Again, I really appreciate all the suggestions and support from the good people on this site

cheers,
Joopy

Post Script - I've been motorhoming for about 10 years now with 4 different motorhomes. Three of them Winnebago diesels. I've been to Forest City several times for service over the years. I like Winnebago as a company and their coaches are as good or better than most. HOWEVER, in my opinion the dealer support system is terrible. Trying to get service at regional dealerships is frustrating in terms of wait time. I do most all my own repairs but I would gladly pay for a dealer to fix most of my problems if they could just simply handle the workload in a timely manner. I don't want to start a thread on why they are this way.... just venting my frustration at a common problem that likely (and unfortunately) will not get any better. There.... I feel better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 2.03.35 PM.png
Views:	43
Size:	536.7 KB
ID:	290879  
Old 06-25-2020, 02:25 PM   #25

What happened to fry the boards and how do you prevent it from happening again?

Most dealer support could be improved but you do hear about some that really try hard
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
Did anyone tell him to disconnect the charger until the problem is sorted out? Those poor 6v units are going to look like microwaved potatoes soon.
Where do you see 6 volt units? The OP has confirmed he has all 12 volt batteries.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:45 PM   #27

Yeah, I'd written the comment back before the 12v reveal, but didn't post it till the next day. I should have caught up on the discussion first.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #28

Update: finally resolved!

After nearly a month of troubleshooting and awaiting parts, I finally resolved the 12v system problem. Without re-reading all the previous posts this thread, here is the condensed version of my issue:

2016 Coach was setting idle in PA for 60+ days after snow birding in FL. Two (2) chassis batteries were down to 9.x volts. Six (6) AGM house batteries were down to 2.x volts. Still don't know why the batteries were drained so I will blame myself for possibly leaving a parasitic draw to occur.

Replaced both the (2) chassis and (6) AGM house batteries. That's right...nearly $1,700 worth of batteries....

Coach started and ran fine, but the 12v house side had very limited availability. Lighting did not function but slides worked. etc. The 12V monitor in the coach "control center" read only 8.x volts.

After much troubleshooting from the source (house battery bank) thru the inverter and to the 12v panel in the bedroom, I determined that I had 12v entering the panel and therefore the problem resided in the panel circuitry.

After a couple conversations with the Winnebago reps, they were out of ideas and referred me to the 12v system manufacturers which is Firefly. There staff was helpful and suggested that I replace 3 of the six (6) circuit boards in the panel. After replacing the boards everything was working EXCEPT the voltage readout still read 8.x volts. I sent the readout board back to Firefly for inspection and testing. It tested fine.

Back to Firefly... after discussing with two different techs, they then realized that they forgot to ship one of the circuit board panels they originally suggested...oops! Shipped and installed the forgotten circuit board and "viola"... the readout is correct and the problem has finally been resolved at a cost for the circuit boards of just under $500.

So, quite an expensive and time consuming resolution to a problem that probably could have been avoided (although I still don't know the actual cause). I appreciated the assistance from the Firefly staff but it sure was aggravating getting to the point of final resolution. I'm providing this update in hopes that others may find this helpful.

cheers,
Joopy

Tags
batteries, house batteries