Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #43

I would rotate the front tires to the rear and Motor on, as a 30 year trucker your wasting your money buying tires that have a RV logo on them.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #44

Tire issue

I had exactly the same problem with the driver side steer tire. My problem was the Tag and Drive axles weren't aligned with the front, spent over 1500.00$'s on a major alignment job and now driving without any unusual tire wear after almost 24K miles since the alignment. You are continuously making the correction to one side if rear axel is not tracking with the front axel. That is why you are haveing this wear only to one side. Good luck. Mike
Moto Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #45

My 06 DP came with Michelin 275-70-22.5. They did not make 20,000 miles. The two front ones both separated at about 19,400 miles. The right rears were scalloped and tread worn badly. I replaced all 6 at 20,000 miles with different brand and have had no tire problems since. I use Michelins on my pickup but not on the RV.
goneagain4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #46

Tireman9 has the answer.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:15 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
So, I parked my 2017 Class A Gas motorhome in it's storage place and decided to look over the tires.

They are Michelin 255/80/22.5 XRV tires have a DOT date of early 2016 and they have 37K miles on them. I keep them inflated at 85 psi. I have not had a lot of sidewall cracking. But this outer tread wear pattern is both shocking and troubling. I did have the alignment set 2 or so years ago. The Rv just passed 4 years since being purchased new.

Here's a photo of the issue. This cannot be "right" This is the front passenger tire the drivers tire doesn't look like this.

We leave on a 2000 trip in a bit less than one month. Hopefully someone can give me some advise on what this is.
My class A Michelin’s on my 2001 Rexhall called for 110 pounds as well as the replacements I put on last year but I run 100 pounds and tread is fine.
Rswiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #48

r/f tire cupping

In my 35 years as a mechanic and owner of a full service garage I found this kind of wear on a tire to be caused by an out of balance condition or bad shock absorber. My recommended fix is to rotate the 2 front tires front to rear and re-balance all 4 tires. The bumpy tire will smooth out after being on the rear drive wheel in a few thousand miles. You can check the shocks by bouncing the front end up and down, it should bounce once and come up to a stop. Only rotate the outer rear tires to the front. This will help with the road noise also as the tire smooths out. s/b an easy fix.
paulhuyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:29 PM   #49

Wow, got the same tires and a similar Winnebago 37F. From '14 and 40K miles I had the outer tread completely worn off, though no lumps as you show. I had minor, barely perceptible checking so replaced all 6. I measured the tread thickness at the outer edge and it was normal but worn (from a Michelin dealer). His recommendation was to rotate the tires front to rear after 20K miles. Front-end alignment was perfect when I started at 13K miles and was rechecked at 40K upon replacement. I do drive primarily on secondary roads with significant crown and suspect this contributed to the wear on the outer edge of the passenger side tire. I was disappointed as these tires should go 60-80K miles. So, I'll be rotating.
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:31 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I also had the rivering. But I could feel vibration driving. GOODYEAR 670s. Replaced the fronts. Causes:
1. Under inflated even at 100 psi (according to GY charts.) Now 110.
2. Toe in of 3/8"corrected, now 1/32"
3. Added steering assist, Roadmaster Reflex.
4. Go rid of the original shocks, put in Koni FSDs.
5. Bad casings, GY's notorious for this.
New tires showing no wear.
Wander gone too.
Trucks and cross winds hardly effect me now.
Slightly harder ride.
Same here except all I did was change the tires and rebalanced using weights. No other changes. My Goodyear had the same rivering pattern (see picture). When I replaced them with Bridgestone man oh man what a difference! Rock steady and smooth. I run 90 psi front and rear according to weight on each axle.
Attached Images

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:44 PM   #51

Quote:
So, I parked my 2017 Class A Gas motorhome in it's storage place and decided to look over the tires.

They are Michelin 255/80/22.5 XRV tires have a DOT date of early 2016 and they have 37K miles on them. I keep them inflated at 85 psi. I have not had a lot of sidewall cracking. But this outer tread wear pattern is both shocking and troubling. I did have the alignment set 2 or so years ago. The Rv just passed 4 years since being purchased new.

Here's a photo of the issue. This cannot be "right" This is the front passenger tire the drivers tire doesn't look like this.

We leave on a 2000 trip in a bit less than one month. Hopefully someone can give me some advise on what this is.
Having worked in the transport industry for years and running several ships any tire wear we saw like that we immediately checked the wheel alignment
Old Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:00 PM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
you need an alignment

I had similar wear on my front Michelins but a little more toward the sidewall. I had my coach aligned three years ago and this damage was caused by needing another. Front, rear, and ride height adjustment and two new tires cost me around $3,600. A blown tire would have cost quite a bit more. I regularly inspect my tires and they looked good until the sidewall issues became visible. I blame me for part of the problem and the lousy road conditions we have to put up with for the rest. Michelin makes a fine tire and I had plenty of actual tread remaining. Live and learn.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #53

RV Tires

Take your coach to a good repair shop. Others have already hit the problem on the head....cupping caused by suspension problems. You mentioned that the tires are on a gas coach. I suspect that you have a Ford F53 chassis well known for suspension problems. We have the same tires on our Monaco DP with about the same mileage...no problem with the tires.

You can check your tires by placing a large, clean white sheet of paper taped down to a clean, flat concrete surface. One large sheet for each tire. Drive over the paper without stopping or turning. Then pick up the paper and examine the impression on the paper. You should be able to see how the tires are contacting the ground. Old tire shop trick. The image should be even across the page. I suspect you will see that your tires are riding on the outside edges and may look smeared indicating alignment and shock absorber problems. A good tire tech should recognize this instantly.

Good luck,
JK
John Kaehms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:13 PM   #54

Listen to this Guy....he knows what he is talking about

Great breakdown of the mechanics/physics of tires...very good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
This is what is known as "River Wear" It is not an indication of a structural problem. While it "Looks" bad is is just a cosmetic condition that is a function of a "non-drive" position.

Yes the "look" can be disconcerting but all I would suggest is to see if you can rotate the tire to a drive position. BUT since drive are duals you need to be sure the OC of the tires match +/- 3/4".

To get a good OC measurement a tire needs to be off the vehicle but fully inflated. I did a post on my RV Tire blog on how to "match" a pair of duals. Sorry but I am not allowed to post links to my blog on this forum.

RE inflation. Others may have different PSI but YOU should always base your inflation on YOUR measured weight , consult the Load Infl charts from Michelin to learn the MINIMUM cold inflation based on the heavy end of each axle. Using that MINIMUM I recommend you add 10% (or 15%) to give yourself some room for days when the temperature drops. You don't need to be chasing inflation daily as that becomes a pain and soon you would stop checking inflation. With a nice "cushion" of 10 to 15% you can watch your TPMS cold morning reading and not worry as pressure moves up and down a few psi each day.

If you see your "cushion" drop to 5% then I would plan on adding a few psi to get back to 10% but you should be able to wait till next fuel-up where you have access to plenty of high pressure air.

Example: You decide you need to add 4 to 6 psi in your tires. Make a note of how many psi to add to each tire. When you stop for fuel your tire pressure is now "HOT" but you can simply take the hot pressure of each tire, add the number of psi you previously wrote down plus 1 psi and that is how much inflation to add to each tire.
If you follow this plan tou will end up within 1 psi of your goal for each tire.
gcushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #55

Quote:

When you had that alignment, did you rotate tires, or better yet get new tires? When you get new tires, get an alignment.
soberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:39 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Looks similar to an issue I noticed earlier this year.
I had alignment checked which was out about 1/4” and rotated the tires to rear. Coach tracked better after tires were rotated, the alignment did not help that part.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/tire...ts-530573.html

Tags
tire