Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Help! RV Tire Issue Photo

So, I parked my 2017 Class A Gas motorhome in it's storage place and decided to look over the tires.

They are Michelin 255/80/22.5 XRV tires have a DOT date of early 2016 and they have 37K miles on them. I keep them inflated at 85 psi. I have not had a lot of sidewall cracking. But this outer tread wear pattern is both shocking and troubling. I did have the alignment set 2 or so years ago. The Rv just passed 4 years since being purchased new.

Here's a photo of the issue. This cannot be "right" This is the front passenger tire the drivers tire doesn't look like this.

We leave on a 2000 trip in a bit less than one month. Hopefully someone can give me some advise on what this is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-Tire.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	339046  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Community Administrator

My tires were inflated to 75 on steer and 90 in the rear as I remember and that was in accordance with four sided weight stats. Eighty five sounds high for all around it’s that’s what you meant by “85”.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFTALL View Post
My tires were inflated to 75 on steer and 90 in the rear as I remember and that was in accordance with four sided weight stats. Eighty five sounds high for all around it’s that’s what you meant by “85”.
Cliff, the RV placard calls for 95 psi and the RV weight calls via the Michelin chart specifes 75 to 80 psi. So, I run 85 as a cushion, but, it's not too much PSI. Too little??? Perhaps it is with that outside wear, but I'd guess it's an alignment issue.

I run 95 psi on the rear duallys.

I just want to know how dangerous this is - it looks like I should not drive it another mile to me.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
Community Administrator

I agree with a cushion. Mine called for 70 and 85. I also agree to getting them changed out.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #5

Normally Cupped tires like that are caused by worn suspension parts, but yours is too new I would think... Bad shocks.... is a cause... Almost looks like too much camber as well. If only that wheel, I would check for bad shock, any bad suspension parts..

Bob
Old 08-10-2021, 11:55 AM   #6

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
So, I parked my 2017 Class A Gas motorhome in it's storage place and decided to look over the tires.

They are Michelin 255/80/22.5 XRV tires have a DOT date of early 2016 and they have 37K miles on them. I keep them inflated at 85 psi. I have not had a lot of sidewall cracking. But this outer tread wear pattern is both shocking and troubling. I did have the alignment set 2 or so years ago. The Rv just passed 4 years since being purchased new.

Here's a photo of the issue. This cannot be "right" This is the front passenger tire the drivers tire doesn't look like this.

We leave on a 2000 trip in a bit less than one month. Hopefully someone can give me some advise on what this is.

This is what is known as "River Wear" It is not an indication of a structural problem. While it "Looks" bad is is just a cosmetic condition that is a function of a "non-drive" position.

Yes the "look" can be disconcerting but all I would suggest is to see if you can rotate the tire to a drive position. BUT since drive are duals you need to be sure the OC of the tires match +/- 3/4".

To get a good OC measurement a tire needs to be off the vehicle but fully inflated. I did a post on my RV Tire blog on how to "match" a pair of duals. Sorry but I am not allowed to post links to my blog on this forum.

RE inflation. Others may have different PSI but YOU should always base your inflation on YOUR measured weight , consult the Load Infl charts from Michelin to learn the MINIMUM cold inflation based on the heavy end of each axle. Using that MINIMUM I recommend you add 10% (or 15%) to give yourself some room for days when the temperature drops. You don't need to be chasing inflation daily as that becomes a pain and soon you would stop checking inflation. With a nice "cushion" of 10 to 15% you can watch your TPMS cold morning reading and not worry as pressure moves up and down a few psi each day.

If you see your "cushion" drop to 5% then I would plan on adding a few psi to get back to 10% but you should be able to wait till next fuel-up where you have access to plenty of high pressure air.

Example: You decide you need to add 4 to 6 psi in your tires. Make a note of how many psi to add to each tire. When you stop for fuel your tire pressure is now "HOT" but you can simply take the hot pressure of each tire, add the number of psi you previously wrote down plus 1 psi and that is how much inflation to add to each tire.
If you follow this plan tou will end up within 1 psi of your goal for each tire.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I believe that wear pattern is called "rivering".
The tire cords may be separating. I would take it to a Michelin commercial tire dealer for inspection.
I would also replace it before your long trip.

A quick note on tire pressure. Michelin as well as other tire manufacturers publish a tire pressure guide. It is based on weight so you should weigh your coach front and rear plus total.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #8

as far as is it dangerous.. Any tire with that much wear is not keeping all the tire on the road..
I forgot to mention, an underinflated tire will exacerbate the issue and cause quicker wear.

Bob
Old 08-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
That looks like an alignment issue to me too.
I'd replace the steer tires and have a competent truck frame and axle shop re align the front end. Not all "tire shop" alignment techs are equal...
Lots of folks find Toyo's superior to Michelins in price, ride and durability issues such as sidewall cracking.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:01 PM   #10

Here is more info.
https://wheelzine.com/things-you-nee...pping-in-tires
Bob
Old 08-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #11

Tireman9.
Thank you sir.
It is really nice to have a professional chime in on a case like this. Appreciate it.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:15 PM   #12

Quote:

Looks like underinflation to me. I run mine at 95psi cold on the fronts and 92psi cold on the rears. (placard calls for 90psi cold)
My 2017 coach also has 2016 chassis and tires. I just had my two front Michelins trued (shaved) at Southwest Brake & Alignment down in San Antonio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Truing 1 resized.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	339055  
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I was hoping Tireman9 would chime in...

I was planning on replacing the tires next year as they will be 6 years old. I'm leaning toward replacing the two steer tires and having the suspension and alignment checked out.

I'm leaning toward Toyo M154 265/75/22.5 tires for the front. Then I'll replace the rear duals next year.

Is this sounding logical?
Old 08-10-2021, 12:29 PM   #14

Quote:
I was hoping Tireman9 would chime in...

I was planning on replacing the tires next year as they will be 6 years old. I'm leaning toward replacing the two steer tires and having the suspension and alignment checked out.

I'm leaning toward Toyo M154 265/75/22.5 tires for the front. Then I'll replace the rear duals next year.

Is this sounding logical?
See post #6 ... and yes, it sounds logical to me. I am shooting for 2-3 more years out of my 2016 Michelins. I then plan to go with Toyo's.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire