Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Help! Shaky Awning

I rolled out my patio awning (manual not electric) for the first time since buying my motorhome and after getting it all set up I noticed it is very unstable from side to side. It sways a good foot or two when you hold the roller tube and move it side to side. The top of the fabric where it attaches to the sidewall is secure. The brackets that hold it to the sidewall of the motorhome all seem to be secure. It seems to be loose where the arms attach to the roller tube. The arms move freely in the mounting brackets on the sidewall as well. I've never had this problem on the other rv awnings I've had in the past. I decided to roll it back up since there was a slight breeze and it was obvious that any wind at all would destroy it and probably more! I've searched and searched for info pertaining to this problem but have been unable to find anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It was 110 degrees today here in Texas where I am and shade is a much needed thing! Thanks in advance.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
RV2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #2

What brand of awning?

On mine, a Colorado Awning, it's unstable if I forget to latch the arms in the slots up where they latch in the tube, and especially if I forget to tighten the wing nuts that are half way up the support arms.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #3

Hi there , we probably have the same 21' Dometic awning, and I can say that I've ever noticed or measured any excess movement. I do take what some may consider extreem precautions with the awning due to high gusty winds in the Colorado river area where I spend the winter. 3 sets of de-flappers, groud stakes and ratchet tie downs on each end and a anti-billowing strap end to end in the center. tested to 45mph.
I plan on washing the coach and awning tomorrow, and I will take special note of any movement , and measure it and get back to you. If you get a chance , measure what movement you're getting, and look for worn/loose rivits in the lock arms.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replys. My awning is a Dometic. I haven't had time to check the things that have been suggested. It's already 99 degrees outside. Hopefully I can check them late this evening after it goes down to 95!

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 06-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #5

Here's a link to the operators manual in case you need it, you have to have a PDF reader on your computer: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...lukW5Jc0iWORiA

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #6

Where are you now? Around dfw?
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Jim for the link. I'm in San Angelo and it's 107 degrees!! I have 2 ACs but the back one isn't working. My front AC is working hard, but still managing to keep it under 80 inside. Barely. Might be a good day to spend at the library....or movies The awning isn't going anywhere

I knew I should have headed northwest. Colorado is sounding really good right about now.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 06-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #8

Except for the wild fires !!
Anyhow I got around to washing the coach and awning today.
Dometic ( A & E ) Elite 9000 , 21 " fabric with aluminum wrap.
My fabric is in very good condition considering it is original to the coach.
I say this because it appears that the squareness of the material and the equal tension on the ends , are the limiting factors in the end to end movement; measured 2 1/4 inches; I pulled forward then pushed back while standing with a tape measure at the front arm. When I pulled the forward movement stopped when the back edge of the fabric tightened up and movement to the rear stopped when the front edge tightened . If your getting more that say 5 inches of travel then I think the fabric is off square; streched or aftermarket; or the main tube of the awning is twisted and not tensioning the fabric properly.
Good luck ; if your tired of the heat send it north, only 4 days since I got north of the border that I haven't had to throw a heater on in the AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #9

I think you're talking about something that comes at no extra charge on awnings with acrylic fabric. The fabric weave is free to the point where the tube/hardware is allowed to move side to side quite a bit. Not "fixed" in one spot like a vinyl fabric at all.

I'm on my second awnig with the same issue (18' A&E 9000 and a 18' Carefree), curious if there's a fix or if it's just something you have to deal with. Because of that ability, it's not too infrequent where the awning arms become misaligned enough to not close completely/roll all the way back up. You have to unroll it, move the tube slightly in the proper direction, and give it another try.

On mine, there's nothing wrong with the install (that I'm aware of), no broken or excessively worn parts. Awning fabric secured in all 4 corners (each end at rail as well as the tube). The fabric is NOT sliding in it's tracks.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV2day View Post
Thanks Jim for the link. I'm in San Angelo and it's 107 degrees!! I have 2 ACs but the back one isn't working. My front AC is working hard, but still managing to keep it under 80 inside. Barely. Might be a good day to spend at the library....or movies The awning isn't going anywhere

I knew I should have headed northwest. Colorado is sounding really good right about now.
Question on your A/C. Did it ever work ? Are you aware of the dual zone temp/mode control set up on your wall t/stat?
Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Concerning the awning, I rolled it out today and made sure I tightened the black "wheels" and made sure the arms were locked at the roller tube and it seems better. It still has a sway of about 3 1/2", but it's workable as long as the wind doesn't get up to much. The fabric isn't vinyl or acrylic. It appears to be a canvas type fabric and is in very good condition as far as I can tell. Maybe it was "operator error" . Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

As far as my A/C goes, yes I know how the thermostat works. It needs to be replaced as well. It's very difficult to get it to change from front to rear, or the mode or fan speed. I have to press it over and over and finally it works. When I bought the coach everything was on. Both A/Cs seemed to be working fine. But the first time I used the rear one it blew the breaker. I've talked to a local RV repair guy and he said it's problably the compressor going out. It blows cold air for about 5 minutes and then it blows the breaker. I switched out breakers to make sure it wasn't a weak breaker. No luck there. So, I guess I'll be getting a new A/C before all is said and done. Uh oh!!!! Gotta go roll up that awing. Windy!!
Thanks again everyone!

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Tags
awning