RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #1

Help! Slide Roof Holes - How to fix?

Hi All,

I need a little help. I was starting a project to replace all the slide toppers. I decided to start with the 6ft bedroom slide since I thought it would be easier that the two 14ft ones.

After getting the slide topper fabric off, I was unexpectedly greeted with a slide roof metal top that has a bunch of what look like corrosion holes. Not sure what the metal is (no rust color) but looks like someone dripped acid in few areas. The attached picture shows two of the areas. The third is worse, but the picture didn't come out.

Not sure how to patch. Any patch would need to be able to slide past the top seal without damaging in.

My ideas so far are:

1 - Bond a piece of metal to the roof to seal and cover them.

2 - Fiberglass filler to seal and fill the holes

3 - Flex seal them or use some roll on bedliner to seal them

Anyone ever dealt with this? Any ideas or help appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slideroofholes[1].jpg
Views:	5
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	302500  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #2

Looks like low quality aluminum that has corroded through. Whatever you cover it with it will probably keep corroding underneath that material. I would probably cut it out & replace it with either a quality aluminum of fiberglass. ( I would most likely use fiberglass but I have quite a bit of experience with it on boats ) A patch over repair is just that, a patch.
I would inspect the other slide roofs carefully as they are most likely the same low quality material.
Roy-c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #3

Should read aluminum OR fiberglass. ( darn spell check . )
Old 09-27-2020, 09:35 AM   #4

I agree with Roy-c. Those dark patches around the hole look like they're holes in the making. I think replacement is the only solution. I'm not a fan of aluminum for exactly the reason you have experienced. If you do fix it with aluminum make sure it is not touching any steel, it will cause galvanic corrosion. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I agree with Roy-c. Those dark patches around the hole look like they're holes in the making. I think replacement is the only solution. I'm not a fan of aluminum for exactly the reason you have experienced. If you do fix it with aluminum make sure it is not touching any steel, it will cause galvanic corrosion. Good luck.
Good answer above and the galvanic action caused the holes. I would try to cover the slide roof with as few pieces of aluminum (longer slides) as you can.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #6

One huge issue with putting patches over the existing roof is how do you get a smooth surface so that you don't tear up the slide seals when moving in or out. I don't see any way that can be done. Replacing the whole panel in one piece would seem to be the only viable option. You would either need to remove the slide or at least the seal to get the inner edge past the seal when the slide is all the way extended. Which you would have to do would depend on how the replacement panel would be fastened along the inner edge so that it would be water tight. Not an easy fix I am sure and the larger slides will be more so.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #7

If you do use aluminum DO NOT use a rubber material to insulate the aluminum from a steel framework. rubber has a chemical in it that causes aluminum to corrode in the absence of air. I have seen this on boats with Aluminum fuel tanks where rubber pads were used. These tanks were a lot thicker than that roof panel and were marine grade aluminum. Didn't last a year.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #8

I wonder if there was a lot of aluminium that was counterfeit /mis-graded prior to rolling or in sheet form sold to trailer or RV manufactures . I know a person that purchased high end large horse trailer the aluminum white rusted terrible.First it dulled, then speckled followed by thick flaking. He told me it seemed wide spread issue . The timeline matches around your year based on my fuzzy memory . There was a warranty and builder was forced to replace it.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:05 AM   #9

Thanks for all the ideas and help!

Just a little more information. The metal is aluminum. The damage is only in the rear most 30" of the bedroom slide in 3 localized areas. Looks like water pooled there some or maybe some animal nested there and it corroded through. I bought it used, so don't know its whole history. I would have never known the problem, if I hadn't been replacing the topper fabric that is getting pin holes in it from age.

I inspected the other two longer slides as best I could with the slide covers in place. I will pull one of the other slide toppers today to start dealing with removing the slide locks which are leaking. The rubber drain pans on the locks are cracking and leaking.

I think my plan of action is as follows:

1 - Temporary fix to keep water out

Coated the holes and area with Flex seal then cover with wide Eternabond tape. This will get me through the winter season.

2 - Permanent fix is to replace the aluminum roof. I need get the materials and learn how it is attached to slide. I think there is removable trim on the outside edge and the two sides. Need to see how the inside edge is attached and what sealers are needed. Not sure if the slide must be removed or not. Research is required.

I don't have time for another major project this fall. I still need to replace all the leaking HWH hoses and replace all the slide toppers. Retirement sure isn't relaxing!!!!

Jay
Old 09-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #10

To repair would you need to remove the slide to get to all of it?
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, slide