Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #1

Help, Slideout Hydraulic Ram drops when fully extended

Has anyone ever seen this. I will include two images. The first shows the hydraulic ram for my 2008 Georgetown before the living room slide is extended. The second shows what happens when it is extended. At the very end of the extension process the Ram/cylinder drops down and the rod appears bent. I can't tell if it drops when the hydraulic motor stops or if it reaches full extension (and is maybe overextended)

Before
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4766.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	231189

After
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4768.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	231190
Newby2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Bring the slide in 1 or 2 inches and take another look. I suspect the ram is not at it's full extension when your slide is all the way out, and it is flexing the rod after it hits the stop.
I hope that makes sense to you. The rod will likely not be damaged by flexing, but it's probably best to just extend until the slide firmly hits the stops. That way you won't be putting the extra stress on all the components.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #3

I would expect to find an adjustment on one end of the ram so it's fully extended at the same time the slide is fully extended.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby2016 View Post
Has anyone ever seen this. I will include two images. The first shows the hydraulic ram for my 2008 Georgetown before the living room slide is extended. The second shows what happens when it is extended. At the very end of the extension process the Ram/cylinder drops down and the rod appears bent. I can't tell if it drops when the hydraulic motor stops or if it reaches full extension (and is maybe overextended)

Before
Attachment 231189

After
Attachment 231190
Newby2016,
This is not good. ANY hydraulic ram, no matter what it operates, should EVER bend. But, even though I clicked on your picture and zoomed in as much as possible, I could not see any remnants of potential broken support(s) for the end of the ram housing. At this point, I'm going to assume your slide mechanism's are an HWH system, correct? If so, the person you need to get ahold of as soon as possible is a member on here that goes by the user name of "AZ PETE". His real name is Paul Maddox. He's a rep and tech for HWH. He's helped a zillion of us in many of our HWH related issues, slides and jacks.

The bending of that ram puts severe strain on the seal(s) inside it. I could be way wrong on all of this and Paul will either confirm or deny my suspicions. it's tough for me to believe that HWH and or, the coach builder actually built it with zero support for that end of the ram housing. But, as stated, I don't seen any forms of breakage where, support might have been at any time.

The continuous bending of that ram, sure seems to me that it would weaken at some point in time. Or, it could even actually tweak in the center of the bend during extension of the ram. But, when you'd go to retract it, with a bent or tweaked ram, it would spell some bad consequences. I'm basing my statements on what I think is logic here. Heck, maybe they did design it that way, I don't know.

In any case, I'd make the effort to get ahold of Paul, to get his HWH educated opinion on this.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #5

I see where the rod-end brace was tack-welded to the underside of the floor, and the hanger bracket has a missing retainer pin. Both IMO are the result of poor workmanship.

Do not use that slide until everything is corrected, as it is placing a severe strain on the entire slide structure since only one ram is moving that slide room in the opening.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If HWH system, contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #7

You need to adjust the end of the rod. You will find a inner nut and out nut. The inner nut adjusts the travel in the out position. The outer nut will take care of the travel in the in position of the slide. So looks like you need the back off the inner nut.
doughboyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 PM   #8

Well Newby2016,
Have you found out anything on your HWH bending slide ram?
Scott
Old 01-14-2019, 04:54 AM   #9

It couldn't have been to much of a concern. He hasn't been back since his OP.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
It couldn't have been to much of a concern. He hasn't been back since his OP.
Yeah, I sometimes jump to conclusions about this sort of thing. But, he might be away from it 'cause it's in storage or, he's working or, whatever. Hope he gets back to let us know what the issue was/is.
Scott

Tags
hydraulic, slide, slideout