RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #1

Help Sold the Bounder Looking at Itasca Suncruiser 38J

Okay , so I sold the Bounder and now looking at very low mileage 2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38J. Very confused as some of these coaches have the cool front end with chrome or simulated chrome, side cameras and windows in the bedroom slide. The one I am looking at buying doesn't have the full body paint or any of these other features. There must be changes mid year or something that I can't seem to find anything on the big world wide web.
Unit has 3 slides (2 opposing) living room, 22.5 wheels, 24000 Workhorse chassis and only 25000 miles.
My price 56000 cdn which is about 42000 US.
All info and thoughts much appreciated before I sign on the dotted line
Note: Dealer doing complete safety, detail, new windshield, gas test etc.
Tequilla Sunrise 38J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2016, 06:21 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounder971 View Post
Okay , so I sold the Bounder and now looking at very low mileage 2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38J. Very confused as some of these coaches have the cool front end with chrome or simulated chrome, side cameras and windows in the bedroom slide. The one I am looking at buying doesn't have the full body paint or any of these other features. There must be changes mid year or something that I can't seem to find anything on the big world wide web.
Unit has 3 slides (2 opposing) living room, 22.5 wheels, 24000 Workhorse chassis and only 25000 miles.
My price 56000 cdn which is about 42000 US.
All info and thoughts much appreciated before I sign on the dotted line
Note: Dealer doing complete safety, detail, new windshield, gas test etc.
Though I have a newer DP, the per-rescission Winne/Itasca coaches were generally well made. Workhorse has a good reputation. Here is the brochure from the Winnebago website: https://winnebagoind.com/resources/b...r-Brochure.pdf

As you already know, if you own a coach you WILL have problems from time to time.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 11-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might get more response on the Winnebago owners forum.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a 2006 Itasca Sunrise on the same chassis with the three slides and it was a great coach. It had about 25,000 miles when we bought it and 56,000 when we traded it. The only problem we ever had with the chassis was a leaking rear wheel seal.

Be sure to check the VIN and make sure the brake recall has been completed. The brake issue with that chassis has been well discussed.

As for the other features, those were probably optional. Ours did have a window in the BR slide and side cameras, but it was not full body paint or have any chrome on the front.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #5

We have a 2005 Winnebago Voyage with the 38-J floorplan. We believe it to the best floorplan we have seen. The biggest issue to be concerned about is the weight on the aft slideout mechanism on the driver's side slideout. The weight on this mechanism can cause that end of the slideout to sag some. There is an addon on support available, and also, the plastic slider blocks wear faster on that mechanism, and need to be replaced more often.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
We had a 2006 Itasca Sunrise on the same chassis......

Be sure to check the VIN and make sure the brake recall has been completed. The brake issue with that chassis has been well discussed.........
Lt Dan: According to your signature you had a W-22 chassis, and THAT chassis did have the brake recall. However, according to the 2006 Itasca Brochure the Suncruiser 38J floor plan the OP is considering came standard on the W-24 chassis, which was not subject to the infamous Bosch Brake recall. see: https://winnebagoind.com/resources/b...ruiser-bro.pdf

The link provided in a post above was to the 2008 brochure.

To the OP: My two big concerns about that coach are the basement AC unit and its inability to keep a large floor plan such as the 38J cool in high heat situations, and the possibility that the chassis will have the J72 AAPB system, which could create problems at some point. A minor concern is the need for a "cool air vent kit" which was needed on lots of WBGO and Itasca models to reduce the chance of burnt sparkplug wires due to restricted air flow thru their front grills. Good luck with your decision.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, suncruiser, bounder