Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2018, 09:13 PM   #15

Fixed, I hope!

Wow! So many helpful answers and questions, what a great group here.

I changed all the filters front to back last fall, genset to Cummins, along with the oil (oil switched to HD Amzoil synthetic, seems to be using a bit now). I completely forgot to put my can of clean diesel into the rig along with my spare filters That's the reason I had AAA bring me fuel, so I could use it to fill and change the filters. They wanted to tow me to the garage but I refused, the vehicle was running still. Mechanic did not show in the morning either.

Being in a SC run rest stop on 95, I decided to try the primary filter change, and with sufficient planning I hopefully would not spill any fuel on their pavement. I managed to pull this off, picture posted below. After seeing the filter I did not immediately change the other one, I had no method to catch the fuel in the parking lot so I drove over to the service station. RPM was better, I could get 65 on the flat but still cutting out on the inclines. I waited quite some time before they could provide a "mechanic". Unfortunately, he removed my NEW filter and tossed it into a pan full of slop before I realized he was under the vehicle. Locally, only two filters were available, so I paid for two and had to use one to replace the new filter I just installed.

Additionally, I asked him if he filled the filter with fuel first, he replied that he had. Yes.... he dumped it into the large hole out of the dirty fuel can, the same one the tow truck left me with the night before. So I showed him how to correctly fill them, utilizing the outside ring of holes and with the center hole blocked off. None the less, I test drove around 3PM today and it's doing fine, so far. The shop owner informed me that my fuel had bugs in it and treated it with an additive.

Tonight I went to Walmart and picked up a large plastic container and some fuel additive of my own. Shop owner stated that the additive will break down the solids and most likely plug a couple more filters until it clears up. Now I need to find more filters.

I like that code reader machine posted above by winniman, wonder how much.

Again, thanks to you all for the suggestions! The air filter, you know, I had thought of that being plugged due to the epidemic of stink bugs in our area but never figured water could get to it given placement. Good one to keep in mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3347.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	222503  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 05:13 AM   #16

OMG how old is that filter, mine still look new when I change then annually.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:29 AM   #17

It looks like you needed to treat your fuel. I've used Biocide if I'm going to be sitting for a month or more. I experienced this problem a few years ago.

I carry ATF to put in my fuel filter when changing, less smell if I have to do it on the road. Never an issue and never hurts to lubricate upper end.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjlunda View Post
It looks like you needed to treat your fuel. I've used Biocide if I'm going to be sitting for a month or more. I experienced this problem a few years ago.

I carry ATF to put in my fuel filter when changing, less smell if I have to do it on the road. Never an issue and never hurts to lubricate upper end.
I have used ATF as well for filter primer. Do you use the same as for your Hydraulic Jacks or carry a different type?
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update they are important for those who may do a search of the subject in the future.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'd suspect fuel filter although on my coach it begins to drive poorly before the check engine light comes on. The PO mentioned he was having to change filters about every 3-4 months when I bought it. I treated the tank with BioborJF made it past 4 months on the fuel filter, but the engine started missing at about 8 months and changing the filter fixed the issue. I didn't get a check engine light, but I didn't drive it until I got reduced power either. I treated the tank with Startron for diesels at that point and now make it to yearly filter changes with no problem.

You didn't mention it, did you scan your gauges before you shut it down to see if temp, oil pressure ect were in their normal readings?
Old 10-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
I have used ATF as well for filter primer. Do you use the same as for your Hydraulic Jacks or carry a different type?
Unfortunately, I haven't looked at the type to use. I didn't need to add any when I checked it. My old coach used ATF and I just used Dexron.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
I like that code reader machine posted above by winniman, wonder how much.

around $150.00 on amazon very easy to install.
Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the update
Old 10-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you watch you can find them for $130 on sale. Got mine Advanced Auto with 25% off web coupon
Old 10-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACOMA1889 View Post
What motor?
Sorry I had not seen this post, it's a 1999 8.3 Cummins
Old 10-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
OMG how old is that filter, mine still look new when I change then annually.
I installed all new filters in everything last fall, this one has approximately 4K miles on it.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I'd suspect fuel filter although on my coach it begins to drive poorly before the check engine light comes on. The PO mentioned he was having to change filters about every 3-4 months when I bought it. I treated the tank with BioborJF made it past 4 months on the fuel filter, but the engine started missing at about 8 months and changing the filter fixed the issue. I didn't get a check engine light, but I didn't drive it until I got reduced power either. I treated the tank with Startron for diesels at that point and now make it to yearly filter changes with no problem.

You didn't mention it, did you scan your gauges before you shut it down to see if temp, oil pressure ect were in their normal readings?
Yes I was constantly watching the gauges while all this transpired, more than I normally do for sure. Did not find any noticeable difference except perhaps the temp gauge was a tad bit higher than up north. But it was much warmer here which may have contributed.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
around $150.00 on amazon very easy to install.
Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the update
I'm ordering one!
Old 10-14-2018, 09:08 PM   #28

As an aside, I did quite a bit of reading tonight relative to diesel fuel issues. Seems the newer low sulfur products mandated by big brother have created many, many issues with equipment that never experienced fuel "bugs" over the years. For instance, fuel which is now susceptible to breakdown in months rather than years.

One article recommends against additives, citing they don't correct the issue of fuel contamination but rather create another problem by creating a sand like substance when the bio contamination is converted.

I have run approximately 600 gallons of diesel through my engine and generator so far this year, all problem free until now. So I don't know whether I was dosed at the last fuel stop in Virginia or it was an issue building up over time. My rig is stored in an unheated barn, high and dry. Drastic, fast, temperature changes inside the building are extremely rare. If there's water in the bottom of the tank breeding these bugs, I want to remove it. Power Service has a product which claims to do just that, I purchased a bottle yesterday. Any thoughts?

Tags
engine, light, power