Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 03:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
If you watch you can find them for $130 on sale. Got mine Advanced Auto with 25% off web coupon
$120 from Wal-Mart online.
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
If you were driving in heavy rain check to see if your air filter is soaked. Happens more often than you would think.
X2 on the air filter. Happened on I-10 this last May. Have since rerouted the air inlet by added piping to raise the inlet. As an added bonus, inlet is in cleaner air with better flow. Cost less than $15.00 and drove in heavy rains of hurricane Florence with no problens.
AA4TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA4TG View Post
X2 on the air filter. Happened on I-10 this last May. Have since rerouted the air inlet by added piping to raise the inlet. As an added bonus, inlet is in cleaner air with better flow. Cost less than $15.00 and drove in heavy rains of hurricane Florence with no problens.
My intake is on the side above the belt line, is that where the trouble stems from? Or is it a lower mount on the rear which causes the issue?
Old 10-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
My intake is on the side above the belt line, is that where the trouble stems from? Or is it a lower mount on the rear which causes the issue?
Mine was low. Sucked in enough water to make the filter collapse. After stopping at a rest area and shutting down, enough water drained from the filter to allowed enough air passage to continue to a better/drier location to change the filter. I raised the inlet to the top of the engine.
AA4TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #33

Funny that no one asked you what the temp. was. My first thought was diesel jelling due to cold temps.
I have been here in NH for last 2 months and thankfully remembered to add some de-jelling to the tank. Starting to see some frost in the evenings. Winter is closing in here!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Funny that no one asked you what the temp. was. My first thought was diesel jelling due to cold temps.
I have been here in NH for last 2 months and thankfully remembered to add some de-jelling to the tank. Starting to see some frost in the evenings. Winter is closing in here!
True nobody did, however, I mentioned the fuel purchase in southern Virginia and the trouble beginning approximately 400 miles later in South Carolina so they probably assumed. I had topped the tank off in July upon returning from Florida, took one quick trip and topped off again in August. So none of my fuel was subject to freezing, up to the point of failure. But excellent thought!
Old 10-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA4TG View Post
Mine was low. Sucked in enough water to make the filter collapse. After stopping at a rest area and shutting down, enough water drained from the filter to allowed enough air passage to continue to a better/drier location to change the filter. I raised the inlet to the top of the engine.
We have and epidemic of stink bugs, I'm going to check my air filter when I get home. A couple of years ago they shorted out my 200 amp double pole main circuit breaker. When I built my barn I mounted a switch box on a pole and fed the house and barn with separate services. The bugs got inside via the ventilation slits and overheated the thing. It cooked them but the box was covered with them when I opened it up. Now I dust the entire inside with seven and spray the outside every fall.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #36

I had a filter that was on the frame that the service place never changed. My coach would start chugging going up a incline and I’d have to pull over. Found a Freightliner dealer to change both filters and all was good.
jlewi15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:13 AM   #37

Diesel fuel treatment is a continuing topic of discussion. Give FuelRight.com a look. Lots of facts and testing gives me comfort.
Gold Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #38

Spartan Chassis
Looks like you got a algae problem. Our new Ultra-Low diesel tends to absorb water that turns into algae which clogs up everything. I got a load of bad algae diesel years ago and had the same symptoms you encountered. I used a biocide to clean it.
Another great product>DESL-SHOK plus will clean up your fuel. Best additive I've found at a farm show. Check out their web-site.
Travel Supreme #40DS01-ISL-400
Jeep Sahara Unlimited-2010
gptexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #39

Thanks for all the tips, I'll check out the products. Definitely received a bad load of fuel, so I put some biocide in the tank after changing the filters. The additives may or may not work according to what I've read, hopefully they do. If not, I'll need to make a fuel polisher when I get home.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:59 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by gptexas View Post
Looks like you got a algae problem. Our new Ultra-Low diesel tends to absorb water that turns into algae which clogs up everything.
It’s not the Ultra-Low diesel, it’s the bio- diesel that’s added in many areas.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:17 AM   #41

Has anyone wondered why the tank builders don't include a drain on the bottom of the fuel tank so residue and contaminants could be drained from the tank?
Lynn
Old 10-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Has anyone wondered why the tank builders don't include a drain on the bottom of the fuel tank so residue and contaminants could be drained from the tank?
Lynn
Prior to E10 and low sulfur diesel it really was not an issue, at least not to the extent we see now. But I was thinking about that today while out walking, ie how could I add a drain to a plastic tank. I'll look at it once home, but most likely a drain could be cut into the line. My brother in law always needs furnace oil so he would jerry can it away, even if I need to disconnect the line. I have a funnel which will remove contaminates from it when we transfer.

Tags
engine, light, power