Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #43

Fuel problems? Where are you buying your fuel??

I am reading this thread and other similar threads with interest because I feel bad for the OP and I certainly want to learn so I can avoid such problems in my DP.

I have a sincere and not sarcastic question and comment. Where are you buying fuel, those of you that have filter clogging problems and similar issues described in these pages?? How old are your rigs and fuel tanks???

I have been driving diesel engines of various types from small 4 cyl cars to my RV for 30 years. Most recently, I have been driving my one ton diesel truck and my newer DP (both with full modern DEF systems on the diesels) for a combined total of about 7 years with absolutely zero problems whatsoever with fuel filters clogging, sludge in tanks that lead to problems, etc. I read about these problems but in tens of thousands of miles (with routine scheduled maintenance only) I have never had these fuel filter clogging issues with the gunk you guys describe. Both my RV and truck were bought new, so no mistreatment by a previous owner. Am I just lucky? Is it because I only stop at high end, nicer fuel stops? Is it because my engines are newer? Have you been seeing this problem on newer DPs under 100K miles? Also, I have never once added any Diesel fuel additives. I live in a very cold winter climate, with hot dry summers.

I think I will now knock on wood!
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Has anyone wondered why the tank builders don't include a drain on the bottom of the fuel tank so residue and contaminants could be drained from the tank?
Lynn
Lynn, I think that's a great idea. It would mean copying the oil change process over to the fuel system. It sure would make tank cleaning an easier process. It's something that I would love to hear the mfg's respond to! Of course, it is something (retrofitting) I would want the pro's to do.
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
I am reading this thread and other similar threads with interest because I feel bad for the OP and I certainly want to learn so I can avoid such problems in my DP.

I have a sincere and not sarcastic question and comment. Where are you buying fuel, those of you that have filter clogging problems and similar issues described in these pages?? How old are your rigs and fuel tanks???

I have been driving diesel engines of various types from small 4 cyl cars to my RV for 30 years. Most recently, I have been driving my one ton diesel truck and my newer DP (both with full modern DEF systems on the diesels) for a combined total of about 7 years with absolutely zero problems whatsoever with fuel filters clogging, sludge in tanks that lead to problems, etc. I read about these problems but in tens of thousands of miles (with routine scheduled maintenance only) I have never had these fuel filter clogging issues with the gunk you guys describe. Both my RV and truck were bought new, so no mistreatment by a previous owner. Am I just lucky? Is it because I only stop at high end, nicer fuel stops? Is it because my engines are newer? Have you been seeing this problem on newer DPs under 100K miles? Also, I have never once added any Diesel fuel additives. I live in a very cold winter climate, with hot dry summers.

I think I will now knock on wood!
Let's see... I purchased the fuel at the same station twice, once in July and once a couple of weeks ago. The station is "Royal Farms" on Rt 17 directly across from Walmart and a couple miles west of Rt. 95. My one and only problem with diesel fuel began that day, approximately 400 miles from point of purchase where tank was near empty, I filled with 100 gallons of product which did not quite fill my tank and added a top of the line additive as I always do.

At home, I have my own tank for my equipment. I treat the fuel regularly and never had an issue. My truck is a 2005 Dodge Cummins, never an issue, but treated with each fill.

My coach was used regularly by the first owner, it was not and is not a yard ornament. I do all my own maintenance. The fuel filters were serviced last fall on both the Cummins and the genset. The filters I pulled off had around 5K miles on them and showed not one bit of contamination.

Everything was fine until I fueled at that station in Virginia. Matter of fact, I'm directly across from it as I type and plan on walking over there tomorrow to see if they can solve this mystery for me but I doubt they will admit anything. Needless to say, I won't be filling up there this time.

So there's the mystery, it's still pretty much a mystery.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:47 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Let's see... I purchased the fuel at the same station twice, once in July and once a couple of weeks ago. The station is "Royal Farms" on Rt 17 directly across from Walmart and a couple miles west of Rt. 95. My one and only problem with diesel fuel began that day, approximately 400 miles from point of purchase where tank was near empty, I filled with 100 gallons of product which did not quite fill my tank and added a top of the line additive as I always do.

At home, I have my own tank for my equipment. I treat the fuel regularly and never had an issue. My truck is a 2005 Dodge Cummins, never an issue, but treated with each fill.

My coach was used regularly by the first owner, it was not and is not a yard ornament. I do all my own maintenance. The fuel filters were serviced last fall on both the Cummins and the genset. The filters I pulled off had around 5K miles on them and showed not one bit of contamination.

Everything was fine until I fueled at that station in Virginia. Matter of fact, I'm directly across from it as I type and plan on walking over there tomorrow to see if they can solve this mystery for me but I doubt they will admit anything. Needless to say, I won't be filling up there this time.

So there's the mystery, it's still pretty much a mystery.
93 Pace Arrow Diesel i owned for 12 years. Made perhaps 3 coast 2 coast trips and Many miles around the N.E. and zero fuel issues.
Current rig circled the states and 37k miles later zero fuel issues.
Always kept tank full when sitting.
Keep us posted on your findings.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:15 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We put about 10,000 miles on our coach a year, but it still sits still for a significant amount of time so I always add BioborJF when I fill. It'll keep fuel related biological infestations at bay.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
93 Pace Arrow Diesel i owned for 12 years. Made perhaps 3 coast 2 coast trips and Many miles around the N.E. and zero fuel issues.
Current rig circled the states and 37k miles later zero fuel issues.
Always kept tank full when sitting.
Keep us posted on your findings.
Will do. Latest finding, I stopped at that same fueling station on my way back through Virginia and asked if they had any complaints relative to the diesel fuel. Manager stated that some "work" had been performed on the tank, did not tell me what other than to mention all the filters had been changed. So, I believe I have my answer. As I suspected, I'm convinced that I picked something up at Royal Farms.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:00 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
We put about 10,000 miles on our coach a year, but it still sits still for a significant amount of time so I always add BioborJF when I fill. It'll keep fuel related biological infestations at bay.
I have always treated my fuel, now it appears a biocide is necessary as well. First the gift of unleaded fuel, then E10 and now the diesel. So much for thinking that a diesel boat is the way to go. Some light at the end of the tunnel, we can now purchase non ethanol fuel at our marina and a few nearby stations.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #50
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just be sure that light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming freight train.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, light, power