Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2021, 11:46 AM   #1

Help! Totally Baffled by Coachmen Pursuit Audio/Video Issues

... and I'm an ex-engineer, but we cant sort this out. Please help if you can.

Background: We bought a lightly used 2019 Coachmen Pursuit 27DS 6 weeks ago. It was in the shop for 3 weeks getting new hydraulic hoses
Took it out for our first test run last night.

We had a helluva time sorting out the TV/audio/video. Reset the TVs to default and now we have "park tv" via the internal antenna. On all 3 TVs, two inside, one outside. All Jensen flat screens.

Here's the issue: we're concerned that the original owner may have removed an audio/video switcher/controller, or some DVD/audio-video controller combo? Dont know for sure, just guessing.

We can reach the HDMI jacks on the LR TV, but there's no way to access these same HDMI ports on the outside TV or the bedroom TV.

In fact the BR TV has a wooden frame stapled in place (which I removed.) Doesn't look like it was ever taken off since it left the Coachmen factory.

To be clear, there's no practical way to plug anything into either the BR or exterior TV.

Something is plugged into HDMI 2 port on the LR TV. Can't tell what or where it connects. But it goes somewhere!?

We found an HDMI and coax connector set strapped to a screw inside the bedroom coat closet, behind the outside TV and not far from the BR TV.

We hooked up a DVD to that HDMI port, set it to play (and we know it works, we tested it on the LR TV), and we get nothing on any of the TVs when we pipe a signal into that HDMI cable. Nothing on any "source setting" on any TV.

Weirder still, there's a lemgthy VGA RCA component video/audio cable inside an overhead cabinet, above the couch in the LR.

Our DVD player has component RCA jacks, so we ran the same test, with no resulting picture/audio coming out at ANY of the 3 Jensen flat screen TVs. Again nothing.

Are we missing an audio/video controller? Was it some kind of specialized DVD player/controller, perhaps connected to the LR TV which allowed the other TVs to operate as slaves to the master TV? Or piping the video in parallel to all 3 TVs simultaneously?

Does anyone own a 2018-2020 Coachmen Pursuit 27DS or similar that can share pics or model numbers? (I cant find any specific info, and don't even know what is missing.)

The only place where it even appears you could mount such a controller is inside the OH LR cabinet over the couch.

Lastly, I dont know for certain that the original owner omitted any part, device or unit. I also don't know if it was something you can select/, deny when you buy it, or if it's standard equipment.

Please help if you can. I need info, model number, pics, etc.

Sure dont wanna hire a mobile RV guy to tell me what's missing , when someone here will know for sure.

Pic1: RCA audio video cable in LR OH cabinet. No. HDMI cables prsent there.

Pic 2: BR Jensen flatscreen TV in BR with stapled-on frame removed. No easily accessible ports here.

Pic 3: side view of LR TV ports (turned 90 deg). Note that something is plugged into HDMI port 2. What can it be? Where does it go?

Pic 4:, Found this unused HDMI and coax connector bundled up and strapped inside the coat closet, located behind outside TV. Piping a signal thru did nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210710_125047.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	335453   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210710_125214.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	335454  

Name:	20210710_124947.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	335455   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210710_125147.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	335456  

WalkTheWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #2

One mystery solved: the RCA cable in Pic 1 is attached to the outside TV. Not sure why thats not working, but will retest. Found this by removing the TV. No HDMI connections there. So what is hooked to LR TV?

Will remove MBR TV next. That might resolve our closet HDMI cable.

Why did Coachmen make such a fubar setup?
Old 07-11-2021, 08:06 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about your issues. This may not be of any help, however, on my Pursuit 29SS there are cables in the LR upper cabinet (by the door) that they consider the "command center" pics attached. The two HDMI ports control the LR and outside TV. The BR TV swings out to access the wires. Understand mine maybe very different from yours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wires.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	335541  
Old 07-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The cables in the O/H cabinet go to all of the TVs. There should be an HDMI connector in there also. It might have slipped behind the wall or it might be the one you found. It goes to all of the TVs also. The coax and HDMI in the coat closet are for a satellite or cable box. Coax in, HDMI out. This might be where your satellite was intended to go instead of the O/H cabinet. If that’s the case, the HDMI should go to all of the TVs. The Jensens should have both an HDMI and RCA plugs going into them that come from the O/H and HDMI that you found. On ours, they would wriggle loose regularly and had to be plugged back in. One of our HDMI in ports failed altogether and moving the cable to another port made it work again. It’s likely that you are piping signal to the TVs but the cables are loose in the back. To remove the TVs, lift it straight up, then out toward you to check the cables.

Run something to that HDMI cable and try switching the TVs from one HDMI input to another. You’ll probably find it. It might be different for each TV, but they should all get a signal from whatever you plug in there.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #5

My wife concurs with you that in the OH cabinet in the LR, where we now find a coiled up RCA video cable (as seen in Pic 1), only suitable for a VCR or camcorder hookup, there has to be a hidden cable stuffed back inside that large black hole.

It's not easy to take apart, with two outlets built in there, but its gotta be done.

My guess is there's an HDMI cable there that connects to either the LR TV or the BR TV.

One last Q: if I cant figure this out, is this best referred to Camping world or a mobile RV guy?
Old 07-23-2021, 11:41 AM   #6

Thanks and 1 last Q...

Thanks for your helpful pics &suggestions. After wrangling many other issues with this coach, we came back to this problem.

I got that panel removed (no easy task) and VOILA there were the missing cables and wiring. Not just VCR/RCA, but one heavy duty HDMI, one coax (quad shield) cable, and three wires with female spade connectors.

Seems like we are missing an electronic control center of some sort. An audio/video switch box or a DVD player with audio/video switch and a remote control.

Otherwise, what do the 3 wires hook up to?

Which resurrects my original concern: Did the original owner cheat us and keep that unit? Or, do they not come standard?

What is it we are missing anyway? Those 3 wires must control something. Does anyone have said controller?
Is it a Jensen?

I put in a call to Coachmen to see if they can look it up by the VIN. I'm suspicious as when we closed the deal, they didn't include any of the original paperwork like the window sticker. We paid their asking so I'd like to know if they did a switcheroo.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:10 PM   #7

All's Well that Ends Well...

I hunted around for pics of other similar Coachmen Pursuits to see what ours was missing. Saw an ad on RVTrader for a nearly identical one in Clearwater, FL. Called the owner and he was nice enough to help me. (BTW, his is in great shape, only 18K miles, and a great price too.)

After talking with him, and as some posters suggested, I reconnected a DVD to the newly discovered but well-hidden HDMI cable in the O/H Living Room cabinet. Up pops a movie on the kitchen table TV! Joy!

Long story short, the BR TV, across from the King Bed, refused to yield anything. We figured the HDMI or maybe the coax cable jutting out of the coat closet by the shower door fed the outside TV. Nope. Well, maybe the coax does. We're not yet sure..

And with still no way to watch a movie in bed, we removed the stained wooden frame (attached by nail gun staples??), and found yet another issue...

BOTH the HDMI and coax connectors had worked loose. A well hidden problem. Easy to fix though.

So with a DVD player in the coat closet, we now have DVD movies!!

Getting the TV remounted and the frame re-installed took two of us and a rubber mallet, but we're excited to finally resolve this!!

Three unresolved questions:

1. Cant seem to find an HDMI cable that feeds the outside TV. Will have to remove it and recheck it. It sports a camcorder cable connection instead??

2. There are the 3 thick single conductor wires with female spade connectors in the O/H cabinet bundled with the HDMI, coax, RCA cables. WTH do they do? (See pic above).

3. Not a question,, more of a big gripe: Forest River is so disorganized they can't find 2 minutes to put on 7 or 8 paper labels on this odd assortment of cables?

At least they have different color plugs on the HDMI cables, but the coax cables go anywhere and everywhere. As each coach variant is slightly different, it's all the more important to label each cable and include an overall diagram. After all, they built this model from a diagram that is in a file cabinet at Coachmen somewhere.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I sure wish I knew what those 3 open wire connectors do, but at least we finally have movies in our RV. Yeah!!
Old 07-24-2021, 04:51 AM   #8

In my pic on the earlier post the three cables are 12V and I've been told they are for the winegaard satellite connection on the roof. Since I have no interest in satellite service I haven't verified the claim. Hope that helps.

It is very frustrating with the lack of documentation provided with motorhomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheWalk View Post
2. There are the 3 thick single conductor wires with female spade connectors in the O/H cabinet bundled with the HDMI, coax, RCA cables. WTH do they do? (See pic above).
Old 07-25-2021, 08:20 AM   #9

Thanks!

Now, that makes perfect sense. Ours is absent that Winegard antenna on top, but there is a metal rough-in plate up there, in case we wanted to add it. (And I hear the Winegard 360 is awesome.) Mystery solved.

I think we will remove/detach the outside TV and store it in a closet in our house. Keep it as a spare. Too much humidity in FL to leave electronics outside.

Thanks again!
Old 07-26-2021, 05:20 AM   #10

Great. Unrelated question. On my Pursuit, the roof covers the skylight in the shower. Is yours like that? Seems strange to me.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone else ignore rambling long posts? Keep it short.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Anyone else ignore rambling long posts? Keep it short.
Thanks for your helpful comment. You've really added a this thread. thread. So glad to get your feedback.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakist View Post
Great. Unrelated question. On my Pursuit, the roof covers the skylight in the shower. Is yours like that? Seems strange to me.
Happy to help. Not sure what you're seeing, but ours had minimal caulking around the skylight edges, which was how it was from the factory. There were cracks developing in that OEM caulking, so we cleaned it thoroughly and put on a 2nd heavier layer of Dicor self leveling sealant.

We didnt see any overlapping of roof material, just too little caulk. And ours may be overkill, but it wont leak. See pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210727_113717.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	337441  
Old 07-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #14

Thanks for the pic and reply.

I have a TPO roof and it covers the skylight completely. My skylight doesn't protrude above the roof line like yours so maybe it was by design?

Happy travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheWalk View Post
Happy to help. Not sure what you're seeing, but ours had minimal caulking around the skylight edges, which was how it was from the factory. There were cracks developing in that OEM caulking, so we cleaned it thoroughly and put on a 2nd heavier layer of Dicor self leveling sealant.

We didnt see any overlapping of roof material, just too little caulk. And ours may be overkill, but it wont leak. See pic.

Tags
audio, coachmen, led