Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #1

HELP -Trip Canceled AC/Electrical POWER Concerns

Took the Terra out for our 2nd outing and [moderator edit] just starting going south. I had the shore cord plugged into a home outlet and noticed the extension cord (old and light duty) getting warm, so I changed it out for a heavier cord with no problems. I ran the AC on genny power for the 1.5 hr trek to St Pete in this sub tropic FL weather hot, humid and hot. Hooked up and about an ˝ hr in the breaker at the power pole blew. Reset it and it ran another ˝ hr or so and the breaker blew again. I noticed that my shore power cord was getting hot. Checked the polarity and had the surge protector on so all OK. When it blew a 3rd time I was moved to another site.

About 1 hr into the site one AC unit started leaking inside, rather consistently. Then the second unit started but at a slow pace. No water was running off the roof so I lowered the hydraulic jacks and a river of water flowed off the roof. I again checked the power cord and it was warm. We decided to pack up and head home as the inside temp was climbing to over 82 within 3 minutes from 70, humidity was thick and the dog was stressed. So my fellow RV’ers, where do I go from here?

Plans:
1. Climb on the roof and check the drains and weep holes, clean as needed.
2. Inspect the power cord, could it be bad?
Other suggestions or reasons for this? All this started outta nowhere!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
While on the roof take off the shroud and clean the coils of the condenser. Straighten any bent fins with a fin comb, available at most auto parts stores. Is your RV 30 amp or 50 amp? A 30 amp cord with two A/C units running might be close to the limit, but a 50 amp cord shouldn't be stressed. Check the plug connections for any sign of heating.

You mentioned a surge protector, is it only that or an EMS? An EMS often has a display telling voltage and amperage use.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #3

Looking at the owners manual for a 2003 Fiesta Terra as well as the sales brochures https://www.fleetwoodrv.com/resource...ESTA_TERRA.pdf it appears this is a 30 amp coach with an optional second air conditioner that came equipped with a power managing system that automatically turned off one of the air conditioners when the second one is running. See section 08-6 in the above pdf

Not exactly the best system for hot climates
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
You need to decrease your energy draw to less than 30 amps. With carefully energy management you might be able to get by with only 30 amps of shore power. You are tripping breakers and cord getting hot because you’re using more than 30 amps. You can’t run the refrigerator or hot water on electric...run them on propane. You cannot use the microwave or coffee pot or hair dryer without shutting one AC off.

I would rewire your second AC so you have a second cord (15 amps) that you plug into the GFI outlet on the pedestal giving you 45 amps of power when hooked to shore power.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #5

turn everything off but 2 ac units, maybe clean your plug contacts
mine gets warm if I run like that on 30amps for extended periods, warm is ok, hot is not! go to propane on fridge, water heater

find some shade!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:06 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
IIf you are running a 30 amp service, When you run both A/C units, you're probable right at the limit, that's probably why you were tripping the breaker on the pedestal at the campground..

I'd recommend splitting the service so you can run one of the A/C units on its own 20 amp service..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:32 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice. I did have the AC on, fridge, 2 TV's at the same time. Had done this before with no problems but not when it was as hot and humid outside as yesterday. Guessing the AC units were working OT.

FOOTNOTE: when on Genny no problem running these appliances (AC units and fridge).
Old 07-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #8

How would one splits the AC power supply?
Old 07-07-2018, 06:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredk20716 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I did have the AC on, fridge, 2 TV's at the same time. Had done this before with no problems but not when it was as hot and humid outside as yesterday. Guessing the AC units were working OT.

FOOTNOTE: when on Genny no problem running these appliances (AC units and fridge).
I'll bet you have a 5500 watt, or more, generator. They have a 30 and 15/20 amp output.

The 15/20 output connects to your second AC so your not overloading the 30 amp circuit.
It's doing what others are suggesting you do with your shore power, adding a seperate 15 amp line.

A way I would do that, without disrupting your present system, is to cut the wire feeding the second AC ( you need to figure out which one and where that is ) and add a simple male and female plug inline. As in the picture below.

Under normal situations you would leave them plugged together. When needed, you unplug it, and run a heavy duty extension cord, from the pedestal to it. That way the pedestal 15 amp outlet independently powers that one AC.

If your not very familiar with 120 volt electricity, don't even attempt any of this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41pHxQcP4dL._AC_SY400_.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	209934
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I'll bet you have a 5500 watt, or more, generator. They have a 30 and 15/20 amp output.

The 15/20 output connects to your second AC so your not overloading the 30 amp circuit.
It's doing what others are suggesting you do with your shore power, adding a seperate 15 amp line.

A way I would do that, without disrupting your present system, is to cut the wire feeding the second AC ( you need to figure out which one and where that is ) and add a simple male and female plug inline. As in the picture below.

Under normal situations you would leave them plugged together. When needed, you unplug it, and run a heavy duty extension cord, from the pedestal to it. That way the pedestal 15 amp outlet independently powers that one AC.

If your not very familiar with 120 volt electricity, don't even attempt any of this.

Attachment 209934

Good idea and the easiest place to find the second air wires would be at the breaker box and after the breaker.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, power, led, ace, electric