Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #1

Help, tripped a breaker somewhere

In the California desert, making dinner, a little chilly, we plug in little heater, does a great job, but then I use electric fry pan, and toaster oven at the same time. Guess what, tv went off, and so did receiver, no toaster oven, or fry pan, I overloaded with heated appliances. We checked gfi in bathroom, no problem, also refrigerator is off and all outlets. The breaker box in bedroom shows no breakers tripped, and fuses are good. Then hubby goes out to check inverter, we find it has breakers, with one push, everything goes back on, thank god. We are learning so much about this rig after full timing in it for a year and a half. Hope this info will help someone else with this problem.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #2

Its funny how fast you can overload a circuit, isn't it? Just be happy there are such things as electrical circuit breakers. Glad you are safe and sound, and you learned two valuable lessons. One is the lesson on where the inverter breakers are located, and two is that it is possible to trip them. At least now you know they work!

Thanks for the heads up and Enjoy Supper!!!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #3

Been there done that!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DO YOU HAVE... An inverter?

Many coaches the kitchen outlet is inverter powered if you do not have other sources, (Mine is one such) and if this is the case then the inverter is also protected by breakers, Now mine are in a cabinet in a "Sub panel" hidden in a place many would not think to look (though it's right behind the main breaker box), the other side of the same interior wall) but in many cases they are on the inverter, and usualy the inverter is installed so as to make them very hard to see.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have a inverter for TV & DVD player and plugged into a outlet up front that outlet maybe off that inverter possibly located in compartment below passenger side.
That inverter has a GFI outlet that needs to reset.
Do not use heater or hair dryer in that outlet you will trip it every time.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I am assuming that you are using your Gen. Set.
If so. why did you not us your stove top to cook on and your propane heater instead of the Elect. Heater that way you would not flip any breaker.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #7

Rusty,
It would help to know your motorhome year and make/model.

I have a 2000 Country Coach Magna. All of my outlets and the microwave are powered through the inverter. There are two circuit breakers to the inverter in my main breaker box. However, there are two 20 amp breakers in an auxiliary box in the first bay on the passenger side that protect the outlets and the microwave. So, in addition to the breakers on the inverter, I have these two other breakers.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #8

The furnace vents are in front of my kitchen and heats up my legs, much easier to cook with electric fry pan instead of the gas. Toaster oven was toasting the rolls.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Be aware that not only are there breakers in your service panel and on the inverter, but on the generator too. Also, loading up the GFI circuits can cause them to prematurely die or trip. If you've checked the CB and it's not tripped, try the GFI reset switch. Most of the time one GFI will have additional outlets connected to it so you'll have to hunt to find the proper GFI if you haven't mapped them out.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Its an RV not a S&B. Gotta go easy on the electrics!
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote