RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2017, 06:22 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd R View Post
I had trouble dropping 110 in my coach this winter. After much trouble shooting, Entegra told me the power comes in the coach and to the 50 amp breaker in my breaker box. From there to the inverter, then back up to feed all the 110 breakers.

The trouble on mine wound up being a faulty end on the communication cable that goes from the inverter, to the remote (control panel inside).
So yes, a faulty inverter can effect the 110 inside, even when plugged into good shore power.
That's true for an integrated device like a Magnum, which performs three functions of converting, inverting, and it has an integrated transfer switch. There is however only one input to the Magnum, and that power feeds both the converter portion, and into the transfer switch to pass power over to the subpanel circuits. The output of that transfer switch, is what feeds some number of circuits typically off of a subpanel. A "key" symptom that he mentioned is that his converter doesn't have power either and his house batteries are not getting charged. So from that, we know his problem is 'upstream', which is either the circuit breaker box, the regular transfer switch, the shorepower cable, or the shorepower.

Hence why he should start with a voltmeter and figure out where he is dropping the power coming into the coach and to the breaker box.

I'll attach a functional electrical diagram for my coach which shows how this works. I only highlighted the one leg that feeds the converter/inverter/transfer switch in black. That power feeds the 4 breakers on the left in the breakerbox, which feeds the Magnum, and ultimately the 4 circuits below in the subpanel box.

The other leg coming in on the right, just feeds the 4 breakers on the right of the breaker box, but I didn't highlight them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical Shore to SubPanel circuits.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	160163  
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2017, 06:51 PM   #16

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I did Check the communication cables to the inverter. Removed and replaced them and the indicator light are back on. Still no 110 or charging. Going to do a hard reset tonight, will see tomorrow it that does any thing.
Cajun Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I made up a new colored overlay which highlights the two legs better. In this case with the symptoms you describe, I would suspect you have lost the leg (Red), which feeds your Converter/Inverter and GFCI (all inverted circuits). Since your A/C is working, that could be over on the other leg (Green).

You can confirm this by measuring the voltages as I described earlier, and finding where on that red path you are dropping the voltage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electrical Shore two legs and SubPanel circuits large.PNG
Views:	32
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	160200  
Old 05-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #18

If he can run both air conditioners his shore cord and transfer switch are working. Sounds more like a popped breaker or GFI. Wet weather would have me looking for a tripped ground fault detector.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post

I'm not sure how or why some are steering you to an inverter problem. When you are plugged in to shore power, the inverter is not even working (or shouldn't be).
With all due respect, most RV Inverter/Chargers DO work when hooked to shore power or even when the generator is operating.

They have a pass-thru transfer switch when 120 VAC power has been detected. Besides the charger portion of the Inverter/Charger is working ALL the time when 120 VAC power is present.

If one or two circuit breakers have been tripped on the Inverter it will NOT pass-thru 120 VAC power to the coach, been there and done that.

It is most likely either a GFCI outlet that has tripped or the CB(s) on the Inverter.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Last time I checked my two rooftop AC's use BOTH legs of the shore power to power them NOT one leg. One AC on each leg with additional coach outlets, etc to keep the power balanced between each leg of 240 VAC and the neutral.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
I'm not sure how or why some are steering you to an inverter problem. When you are plugged in to shorepower, the inverter is not even working (or shouldn't be).

You don't mention whether you are a 50 amp coach or 30 amp coach, it will matter slightly in to what you check. You need to troubleshoot your problem with a voltmeter.

First unplug from the shorepower, and check to make sure everything is good there.
- If 30 amp service, Positive leg to neutral 120vac, positive leg to ground 120vac, neutral to ground 0vac.
- If 50 amp service, Leg A to neutral 120vac, Leg B to neutral 120vac, Leg A to Leg B 240 vac, Leg A to ground 120vac, Leg B to ground 120vac, neutral to ground 0vac.

If that all checks out, then move to your circuit breaker box, and pull the cover off your box.
- If you are a 30amp wired coach, check the positive leg output on the main 30amp breaker, pos to neutral in the box 120vac, pos to ground in the box 120vac, neutral to ground 0vac.
- If you are a 50amp coach, your main will be a dual 50amp breaker, measure the breaker output. Leg A (black) to neutral (white) 120vac, Leg B (red) to neutral (white) 120vac, Leg A to Leg B 240 vac, Leg A to ground (bare copper or green) 120vac, Leg B to ground 120vac, neutral to ground 0vac.

Assuming that checks out okay, now measure the output of each of the individual breakers, to see if they have 120vac.

You said you didn't have 120vac, but then you said your AC was working.
-If you are 30amp box and IF that was true, then you'd have to have 120vac in your circuit breaker box, and you have a problem with an individual circuit to whatever socket you didn't have power at. You'd need to trouble shoot that individual line.
-If you are 50amp box and IF it was true your AC works, then it could be that one of the power legs (like leg A) had power, but leg B didn't have power. If you are 50amp, then every other physical breaker is on a different leg. For isntance, starting at the main breaker the first row of physical breaker would be on leg A, the next row of physical breaker would be on leg B, the third row of breaker on leg A, etc.

Check your voltages, and tell me what you have found.

Not jumping ahead, but since your AC had power, and both your converter and GFCI did NOT have power, I'm suspecting you have a 50amp coach and you are missing one of the legs. None of the breakers that are plugged into that leg have power. But let's see what your voltage checks show.
This post is filled with great trouble shooting tips and some misinformation I'm sure due to different types of systems. On some, maybe all (not sure) Magnum and Xantrx inverters the air conditioner voltage does not even touch the inverter. All other 115AC goes through two transfer switches. The main one in the coach and one inside the inverter. I don't know for sure what yours does. On many, if the ACs work (both if 50 amp), and 115 does not then it is a good bet that a breaker is off or there are problems with or around the inverter. Batteries have nothing to do with 115 when plugged in or genny running.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inverter Schematic.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	160203  
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
With all due respect, most RV Inverter/Chargers DO work when hooked to shore power or even when the generator is operating.

They have a pass-thru transfer switch when 120 VAC power has been detected. Besides the charger portion of the Inverter/Charger is working ALL the time when 120 VAC power is present.

If one or two circuit breakers have been tripped on the Inverter it will NOT pass-thru 120 VAC power to the coach, been there and done that.

It is most likely either a GFCI outlet that has tripped or the CB(s) on the Inverter.
Richard, my comment was because he was on a path to replace the inverter, thinking it was defective. It's not that it's defective, it's not getting powered. You are correct, if you look at my chart you will see the power leg feeding the Magnum (in my case) is fed internally in the Magnum to both the converter and the transfer switch. Because his converter is not working, we should suspect that there is no power at the input to the converter/inverter/switch. It's not that the inverter isn't working and defective, it's not getting power.

I was careful in my original wording...the 'inverter' is not working while connected to shorepower. The converter and internal transfer switch functions are working when connected to shorepower. The converter should be making 12vdc and pushing it out to the batteries. Without any 120vac power on the input, the inverter would be working, and that is not what we're expecting when he's plugged in. His converter (battery chargin function) not working when connected to shorepower, was a key clue.

So the power is being dropped somewhere along that red leg. Could be as early as the shorepower and main transfer switch or circuit breaker box, or as late as the circuit breaker to the converter/inverter/switch.

In my case I have one 30 amp leg feeding my inverter, but other inverters have two 30 amp inputs. Don't know which brand/model he has to be more specific in his case.

Quote:
Last time I checked my two rooftop AC's use BOTH legs of the shore power to power them NOT one leg. One AC on each leg with additional coach outlets, etc to keep the power balanced between each leg of 240 VAC and the neutral.
A correct statement. If you look at the details of my chart, I show one A/C on leg A, and the second A/C on leg B. This is done to balance the load. However Jeff only indicated that he had A/C working fine (singular). So we don't know whether he has one or multiple A/C's, and if so do they both work, and if so, are they also on different power legs. The only real fact we know is at least one leg of power has made it thru to the circuit breaker box....since a A/C is working.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #23

LA Gulf Coast Campers
The coach is fixed. Several guys in the SAFARIFRIENDS YAHOO GROUP walked me through checking every piece of the electric service. Seems that there were a couple of no loose but not completely secure connections in the inverter.

I am one happy camper.
Cajun Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:27 AM   #24

Glad to hear it is fixed. Thanks for telling us and telling what you found.

From the number you posted you have a Xantrex Freedom 458 Inverter/Converter that has an internal transfer relay to control the circuits that are connected to the Inverter function. If you have any more problems please put that into your original problem description. It will save the rest of us who know systems but not your RV time and effort and get you better results faster.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Cajun Jeff,

Good job, Congrats !