Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Your problem is the Tech that you had was inexperienced and in way over his head. Cutting the hoses is just plain inexcusable. At this point your only option is to go to a place that has experience with your vehicle and have the repairs done properly. Perhaps you can recover some $ from the first company. It is a shame that people on the road are at the mercy of these boobs.

I agree after cutting the hoses it’s going to be major dollars to get the dash air working again.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 14 ISL9 uses the same surpentine belt to drive all accessories. I carry a spare and the belt wrap diagram. On my rear radiator I only have to remove 2 bolts for accessible reassembly. Bottom and 2 sides. And I carry tools to fix it.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems .

But , every Cummins diesel pusher , I've seen; heard of ; up till now, the dash A/C compressor , wasn't driven by the serpentine belt .
Skip, mine only runs 1 belt.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

Love to add a photo to my collection .

71 years old and still learning .
Old 01-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Good point, Skip426. The serpentine belt normally does NOT drive the a/c compressor, at least not on any Cummins I've seen in a Freightliner chassis. Or a Spartan either, though I've only looked at a few of those. There is near-always a separate V-belt for the a/c. I too am now learning that apparently some do use only one belt. Maybe more common on the ISB engine? But the OP stated an ISL9...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
I agree after cutting the hoses it’s going to be major dollars to get the dash air working again.

Cutting the hoses for the A/C? I agree, big bucks potential for the repairman.
I've only seen that done in wrecking yards.

Cummins Quick-Serve supplied us with all engine data on-line about 5 years ago.

Good luck with your can of worms.
Boomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I too am now learning that apparently some do use only one belt.
Yes, Gary , good to have this info on file , I got caught out on the Cat , C-7 different years , driving the water pump with the serpentine belt , instead of the separate V belt , common on the 3126 and early C-7.
Then after a discussion with another member I found the evidence .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C-7 image2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	314793   Click image for larger version

Name:	C-7 photo.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	314794  

Old 01-17-2021, 08:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Same here. ‘14 American Revolution 42W. 1 belt for all engine accessories. Separate belt for radiator fan only.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:33 PM   #23

If you paid for the tech via credit card you can probably get your money back through a charge back by your credit card issuer. The reasons are that it is illegal to release refrigerant into the atmosphere and causing damage to your vehicle. I don't know if he asked you but even if he did, if he is servicing air conditioning he should know you can't release refrigerant into the air. If you really want to screw with him and the state requires a license you could report him to the licensing agency of the state. This is really, really bad service.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:38 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

This pic represents the same as my 2007era 6.7ISB. I realize other Cummins engines may be different. The ISB however drives the a/c compressor with the serpentine belt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	maxresdefault-2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	314929  
Old 01-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blang311 View Post
Thanks everyone, I can’t tell if the compressor is exactly the same because he took the old one with him as a core return. To make matters worse he could not get the AC hoses off the compressor so he cut the lines. I think it is going to be a challenge to get it all back working when we get home.
I had an a/c compressor fail also....and fell to the plight of not being able to get the hoses off the old compressor....as hard as I tried. I ended having to cut them off also.

After the new compressor was installed...I had to purchase new ends for the lines....and then find someone willing to crawl underneath with a crimping tool. I did find a shop that was willing AND had room for me to park the coach. I recommend this place for parts: Cold Hose. You can message me if you need guidance. Best of luck.

FYI...once the lines are repaired, they system will have to be flushed (or at least the lines)....the filter/dryer replaced etc. Beware that most condensers can't be flushed as the passages are too small. Cold hose sells replacements though at a good price.

For those that are critical and chastising of the mechanic doing the repairs...it isn't uncommon at all to run into a/c fittings that will either not budge or also be stripped out (as I found on my condenser during replacement). The mechanic wasn't shoddy or cutting corners.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The serpentine belt normally does NOT drive the a/c compressor, at least not on any Cummins I've seen in a Freightliner chassis.

The routing diagram for my ISL on a FCCC chassis. One belt drives it all.

I blew an AC compressor in Casper, WY and the tow truck driver suggested the bypass belt. Worked like a charm until I got home. Now I carry spare regular and bypass belts along with special NAPA serpentine tools!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:14 AM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

Here ya go.

Name:	20190211_110726.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	314933

Sorry, If there's a way of getting a pic to post properly on this forum, I haven't found it!!
Old 01-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Well if one lesson can be learned here it's to take note of the original belt/coolant hose part numbers while still legible and carry spares.
If your main serpentine belt also runs the a/c compressor make sure to carry a belt that is sized for a/c delete. A/C Compressor failures seem common on these coaches. No need to have an a/c failure make you a pedestrian. Change those belts out as preventative maintenance every five years or so, and carry the old ones for spares, along with the proper tools and know how.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote