Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2021, 08:52 PM   #1

Help with check engine light?

The check engine light recently came on in my 2019 F53 with the v10. Code reader says “ Check Engine Light, Code 0446 Evap Emission Sys Vent Control Ckt”. Unfortunately I don’t understand what that means :sad. I can’t get to a Ford dealer for at least a month and don’t want to harm the engine. It runs fine and mileage is normal. Do any of you know what that code really means?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2021, 09:18 PM   #2

GOOGLE IT!
Found this
What causes the P0446 code?
  • Faulty, missing, or broken gas cap
  • Faulty EVAP system hose
  • A Leaking fuel tank
  • Broken or faulty charcoal canister
What are the symptoms of the P0446 code?
  • The Check Engine Light being present.
  • A fuel odor may be noticed and the fuel economy may suffer slightly.
Also found this:
P0446 FORD code possible causes

Missing Fuel cap
Incorrect fuel filler cap used
Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
Vent control valve harness is open or shorted
Vent control valve circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty vent control valve
The Evaporative System (EVAP) canister vent control valve is located on the EVAP canister and is used to seal the canister vent.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:49 PM   #3

You have a failure in the evaporative emissions control system. This system helps to prevent the release of fuel vapors to the atmospere. Specifically there is an electrical circuit failure to the vent solenoid.
More detail: there is a carbon canister that stores fuel vapors until they can be drawn into the engine intake and burned. On the canister is an electrical vent solenoid which opens and closes the canister to atmosphere. There is an electrical fault in the solenoid or circuit that controls it.
You can continue to drive the coach with this fault, it will not damage the engine/ powertrain. Let me know if you would like a more detailed explanation.

I spent over 40 years in Ford service depts. prior to retiring last year. Hope the explanation helps your understanding.

Steve
Old 11-24-2021, 10:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been getting a P0446 code on my 2000 Lexus RX300 toad for five years now. Replaced fuel cap with official Lexus cap twice no help. It's the canister filter assy and that's a small fortune.

I have a Bluetooth dongle that connects to my cellphone and I clear the code with that.

I've noticed that it occurs after I've filled my tank and then used about five gallons of gas or so. You can also clear it by disconnecting the engine battery.

It doesn't hurt anything.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo7 View Post
You have a failure in the evaporative emissions control system. This system helps to prevent the release of fuel vapors to the atmospere. Specifically there is an electrical circuit failure to the vent solenoid.
More detail: there is a carbon canister that stores fuel vapors until they can be drawn into the engine intake and burned. On the canister is an electrical vent solenoid which opens and closes the canister to atmosphere. There is an electrical fault in the solenoid or circuit that controls it.
You can continue to drive the coach with this fault, it will not damage the engine/ powertrain. Let me know if you would like a more detailed explanation.

I spent over 40 years in Ford service depts. prior to retiring last year. Hope the explanation helps your understanding.

Steve
Thanks Steve, Your description certainly helps me understand. I’ll do some digging to find out where these parts are located on my F53 and look around for any damaged wires and see how difficult it is to replace the parts. Unfortunately, my local Ford dealer seems to have staffing problems and can’t get me in anytime soon.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #6

If it happened about the time you filled up check your gas cap first. The EVAP system needs to be sealed to work.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 05:36 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Vent valve is on the frame under the drivers seat area. Look at the wiring harness. I bet you will see the problem
Latech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, engine, light