Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #1

Help with Electrical Issue

I have a 2016 Thor Tuscany and have recently been experiencing electrical issues. I am beyond ignorant on the subject so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I first noticed the inverter wasn't turning on while driving, then had the whole electrical system shut down briefly while driving, then turning right back on.

Then I noticed the AGS would only run once, then not continue. I just replaced all the batteries, chassis and coach. Last weekend i was plugged into 50 amp for 3 days. After unplugging the coach it wouldn't start. Freightliner suggested I turn off battery disconnect for 15 minutes. Coach fired right up! When I returned the coach to storage I turned on the generator and it shut down after 10 seconds...had to use AUX start to turn it on.

I'm not sure how it's all related! Once again any help would be appreciated!!
CardiffMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiffMac View Post
I have a 2016 Thor Tuscany and have recently been experiencing electrical issues. I am beyond ignorant on the subject so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I first noticed the inverter wasn't turning on while driving, then had the whole electrical system shut down briefly while driving, then turning right back on.

Then I noticed the AGS would only run once, then not continue. I just replaced all the batteries, chassis and coach. Last weekend i was plugged into 50 amp for 3 days. After unplugging the coach it wouldn't start. Freightliner suggested I turn off battery disconnect for 15 minutes. Coach fired right up! When I returned the coach to storage I turned on the generator and it shut down after 10 seconds...had to use AUX start to turn it on.

I'm not sure how it's all related! Once again any help would be appreciated!!

Just my observation.

Unless you have a need for 110v while driving, why is the inverter ON? Keep in mind, the inverter changes DC voltage to 110 for use on selected appliances and limited outlets.

It's not clear what you mean by "the whole electrical system shut down." You have two (actually three) electrical systems--the 12v power to the coach, the 12v power to the chassis (engine and vehicle operating system), and 110vac. So, please clarify that statement as that will help greatly in understanding just what happened and, possibly, what you had running at the time.

Each coach is wired differently so the I can't be certain how the generator is set up for starting. Your coach may not be set up for charging the chassis batteries while on shore power, as not all are, or the relay for that function may be faulty. When you were plugged in shore for three days and the coach failed to start, that tells me the chassis battery charging was not functioning. The generator failing to start also indicates low battery voltage since it would start with the AUX start button, which connects the chassis batteries to the house batteries.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:10 PM   #3

It sounds as if the Battery Control Center is keeping both sets of batteries tied together (thus your chassis batteries no start condition). But you were plugged into 50AMP, so that should have charged both sets of batteries which is also controlled by the Battery Control Center. My chassis is Freightliner XC and the BCC is located behind driver side rear wheel in compartment. Your coach will differ.

Do you have a multimeter tool? You should test the voltage 12V on both banks of batteries. Plugged in and not plugged in. It will show you if shore power/genset is charging them with the inverters.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:16 PM   #4

What has changed since the problem appeared???
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:23 AM   #5

Thank you all for the input! Like I said the electrical piece of my newbie game is the weakest!

I run the residential refrigerator while driving. My assumption was the inverter provided the electricity, and if I don't turn it on manually, it doesn't work.

When I say "the whole electrical system shut down"...I was driving with the cruise control set, when everything (cruise control, lights, etc. flicked off, then back on). Had to turn on and reset cruise control.

I read somewhere it could be the Trombetta Solenoid (?). Thoughts?

I don't have a multimeter but will get one.

Thanks agin for your help!
Old 05-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #6

Your residential refrigerator is powered by the inverter when no 120V power is available. That would normally be the case when driving but it can be supplied by your generator as that is what it does for you. The generator basically is a replacement for the shore power from your cord.

The other things that shut off when driving and came back are all 12V and other than the inverter, it all is powered by the chassis battery & alternator. The inverter gets power from the coach 12V system, which is tied into the output from your alternator when traveling, in order to allow your alternator to recharge the coach batteries.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
Your residential refrigerator is powered by the inverter when no 120V power is available. That would normally be the case when driving but it can be supplied by your generator as that is what it does for you. The generator basically is a replacement for the shore power from your cord.

The other things that shut off when driving and came back are all 12V and other than the inverter, it all is powered by the chassis battery & alternator. The inverter gets power from the coach 12V system, which is tied into the output from your alternator when traveling, in order to allow your alternator to recharge the coach batteries.
Is it possible that the brief loss of 12v power to the chassis systems while driving was a result of a fault of some type in the battery isolation solenoid and a chassis disconnect solenoid, if so equipped?

Illustrated in this diagram, for example:

What I'm thinking is, the inverter is ON, drawing down the house batteries while driving. The alternator is doing it's job of charging the chassis batteries first. Then, when the chassis bank is up to charge, the switch to charge the house bank kicks in but the house bank is so low that when the connection is made, something happens between the two solenoids and the chassis power is lost, briefly.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Is it possible that the brief loss of 12v power to the chassis systems while driving was a result of a fault of some type in the battery isolation solenoid and a chassis disconnect solenoid, if so equipped?

Illustrated in this diagram, for example:

What I'm thinking is, the inverter is ON, drawing down the house batteries while driving. The alternator is doing it's job of charging the chassis batteries first. Then, when the chassis bank is up to charge, the switch to charge the house bank kicks in but the house bank is so low that when the connection is made, something happens between the two solenoids and the chassis power is lost, briefly.
The alternator is connected directly to the chassis battery. Its always charging it. There is no solenoid or relay in that circuit.

The Trobretta or any other brand of solenoid ONLY adds the house battery to the chassis battery, like an automatic jumper cable. One battery is charging the other.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #9

Thanks for your input! When I get the coach out of storage I'll have a better chance of understanding what you saying...have a great day!
Old 06-04-2021, 08:31 AM   #10

Update! I had the coach out last week. The inverter will only work on shore power and gen power...will not turn on from the coach batteries. Does this make sense? It's not a big deal to run the generator while driving, but my recollection is that the inverter would run from the coach system while driving...thus allowing the residential refrigerator to run while driving.

Any thought would be appreciated!!
Old 06-04-2021, 08:35 AM   #11

Translated-- the "pass through function" of you inverter IS working. It functions like an ATS.

The inverter section (12 VDC to 120 VAC) is NOT.

Assume if you have a remote, that it is turned on.

And, if it is an inverter/charger, that it IS charging the house bank when generator or shore power is on. If not, check the high amp, slow burn fuse between batteries and inverter.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:06 AM   #12

Brett is correct
When on shore or generator 120v passes through the inverter. It is not inverting 12vdc to 120vac
You should not have to physically go to the inverter to turn it on, you should have a way to remotely activate it

Another thought for those that know. If breaker shut off on inverter would it still pass 120vac through?

Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiffMac View Post
Update! It's not a big deal to run the generator while driving, but my recollection is that the inverter would run from the coach system while driving...thus allowing the residential refrigerator to run while driving.
Both the generator and the shore power cord supply 120V without any activity from the inverter, other than to pass the power through it to the refrigerator and anything else that might be connected to the output. If it only passes 120V but does not make 120V-ac then it is not working.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical