Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #1

Smile HELP with extended service plans

Hi Everyone:

Does anyone have any experience with extended service plans? My wife and I own our first motor home, a 2011 Allegro Red by Tiffin. We are the second owners and we are looking into eithera Good Sam plan or a company by the name of Cornerstone. Each has both good and bad points to consider. We also know there are others out there. Any help with your experience to these questions would be helpful.

Bob
b247s3st is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's a used 2011? Doesn't the manufactures warranty still go with it?
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have, in the past, purchased the odd extended warranty... However it is a bit like visiting Las Vegas (But then I've done that too)

You pay's your money and you take's your chances.

You are betting on a major breakdown. The insurance company is betting you won't have a major breakdown.

Now.. that said.. The "HOUSE" (insurance company) has computed the odds so they will be in their favor.

On the other hand... The computer I'm using now... When I bought it (Used, supposed to have been exchanged for an upgrade) I noticed some cosmetic damage.. The kind of thing that might have been caused by someone smacking it in frustration.

The extended service plan turned out to be a smart investment.

How you'd spot that kind of thing on a motor home.. I know not.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
On the other hand... The computer I'm using now... When I bought it (Used, supposed to have been exchanged for an upgrade) I noticed some cosmetic damage.. The kind of thing that might have been caused by someone smacking it in frustration.

The extended service plan turned out to be a smart investment.

How you'd spot that kind of thing on a motor home.. I know not.
Yeah, this is kinda where I'm coming from too. How do you get a used 2011 MH? Why would someone trade or sell one so quick?
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

Thanks for your info. The couple used it twice and decided they wanted a bigger MH. Most things in the home have a 1 year warranty.
Bob
P.S. Las Vegas is great.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome b247s3st to irv2.
Congrats on your new used motor home many safe travels for you.
Most appliances have a warranty that may extend more than a year.
Use motor homes I have bought I found the warranties not fill out by previous owners and I filled out and company's honored them.
As to a larger warranty for chassis, engine, trans I received many flyers from Ins. company's but glad I never used them.
Put your money in bank and if you ever need it, which I never did, you can use it for add-ons for coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #7

Thanks 007. We plan too.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought my bus a year ago last September and did not read too many of the manuals or other paper work that came with it. While reading my extended service plan after my frig gave up last trip I have coverage to 55K miles I bought it with 17K on it it seemed acceptable until while reading I found the extended warranty that the first owner bought which covered it up until 65K miles and was transferable to me for about $100-$200. but it had to be transferred at the time of the sale.

So under the heading of win some lose some I'm not sure where I stand but I did not pay the $2K+ for frig repairs and kitchen sink faucet replacement. They offered to replace the whole frig for the costs involved to repair but it would have been major carpentry work for a replacement since mine is no longer made.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #9

I purchased my current extended warranty for WholesaleWarranties.net.
As luck would have it I needed the use the warranty only a couple of months after purchase. The people at Wholesale Warranties acted as my agent and helped my file the claim, follow proceedures, called to make sure all was going to plan, and called to make sure I was satisfied when the work was finished. The offered an assortment of plans at the time of my purchase. I was impressed with their operation, and I think they are trying to make themselves into a major player in RV service. They even have a Facebook page.
I know that many RVers question the concept of extended warranties, personally I find them comforting and will continue to purchase them for my rig.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
ESPs Are Like Vegas Weekends: Some Win, Most Lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by b247s3st View Post
Hi Everyone:

Does anyone have any experience with extended service plans? My wife and I own our first motor home, a 2011 Allegro Red by Tiffin. We are the second owners and we are looking into eithera Good Sam plan or a company by the name of Cornerstone. Each has both good and bad points to consider. We also know there are others out there. Any help with your experience to these questions would be helpful.

Bob
I had a Good Sam ESP transferred to me when I bought my coach at the end of last year.

It was as if I flushed $1K down the toilet: my one small claim -- it was about $200 above the deductible -- was denied because they said the problem traced back to seals (drag link, in the front suspension). Heck, using that kind of logic, many failures could be conceivably traced to ineligible items.

I asked for a refund, filed a complaint through the Better Business Bureau, and Good Scam ignored them, too.

In the vast majority of cases, socking the $120 or so a month away in a savings account will put owners ahead of any ESP.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #11

Got the Extraride premium warranty, 5 years , $100.00 deductible($75.00 if I take it back to the selling dealer) for $3100.00
A 2005 Damon Challenger bought used through private party,with 13000 miles on it
Had issues with Dometic fridge, in dash stereo, & generator.
Stereo replaced with new, NEW Dometic fridge, and generator belt and pulleys replaced .... All under the warranty,
$2400 paid by warranty, paid one $75.00 deductible for all three items , need $ 700 more to "break even"
Better than I do at Vegas!
whodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have Extra Ride Premium and love it, Had 5 claims, all paid on the spot, no hassles. Had the gen repaired for 3500.00 and it was covered with no problem. Would highly recommend them.
bldr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkat View Post
Yeah, this is kinda where I'm coming from too. How do you get a used 2011 MH? Why would someone trade or sell one so quick?
Ha!!! I could tell you but it would take to long. If you dont fix the myriad of nit pick things yourself it will drive you crazy. After buying my 2011 serrano used with 6000mi I started working on it. One solid week of adjusting , screwing, sealing and researching we went on a trip. I now have a list of 23 things for the dealer to fix and they are not nit pick. A non mechanical person would just trade it in!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! You can find a ton of reading material on this subject if you use our search feature.

IMO, extended warranties are all about peace of mind. We bought one with our new DP in 2007 from Easy Care. They have honored every claim without exception and the shops I've used tell me that they are a great company to work with.

It seems that most who view these products as "investments" are unhappy with them since the claims most often don't exceed the cost of the policy. In our case, we felt we were purchasing a degree of security ... considering we were newbies ... and we've been happy with our decision.

Would I do it again now that I'm not a newbie anymore? Maybe/probably not on a new rig. The warranty periods on the big ticket items are usually longer than the one year which comes with the coach and we would probably self insure if we were to buy another new coach.

Best of luck to you.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service