Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Help with leaving mh for week

We have to fly home for some medical issues and we are leaving our MH in campground for the week we are gone. We are in Arizona area so it is hot and dry humidity. I am leaving MH hooked to electricity so fridge can run and I want to leave some AC on while gone as well. I will cut off everything else while away including water. Car will remain so will look as if we are here and we have neighbor who can watch out for MH. My concern is that once in awhile one of our AC units will freeze up and I have to cut off unit and run only fan until it melts. Happens once in awhile and hasn't for 6 months until this week it did it again. Any suggestions from you guys about leaving it running while gone or are there other ideas. We have never left it like this before. Thanks.
revrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #2

An A/C freeze up in AZ would be unusual ( I spend my winters in the area ), however for your situation , I'd say leave the temp on the unit that doesn't freeze up set for about 75 degrees and set the unit that you've had the issue with on fan only .
With the ducted A/C system, windows covered all day, and no opening of the entry door the one unit should keep up.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #3

Don't forget to turn off the water supply.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #4

Give neighbor a KEY to MH and have them check that power remains on, fridge stays working and any issue with the A/C
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We often leave our motorhome alone for up to a week when we go backpacking. We disconnect everything but power. We leave one AC unit running (usually the front one) and we let the RV park owners know that we will be gone for a week and sometimes will leave a key with them (really depends on our intuition).

We never worry about break-ins - RV parks (esp. remote ones) are usually very safe.
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #6

Are you saying this happens to both or all three of your AC units or just one. If just one, leave the other one running. But in the longer run get it checked. I have never frozen a MH AC. I think you probably have something wrong with it.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have max air vent covers, turn the A/C off and open the vents. Turn the water off.

Have a safe trip..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote