Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #1

Help with step cover not coming up

Headed out today for our first trip of the season. Noticed when leaving the step cover in front of passenger seat would not come up. When pressing the button I can hear the motor running but no moment on the steps. Is there by chance a sheer pin or something similar on the motor shaft broken or loose not allowing the gear to move? Never dealt with the step cover before and not really sure where to begin first. Do you have to access from underneath the coach? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. TIA

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2021, 07:52 PM   #2

Probably need a new motor. The motor and gearbox is one contained unit.
Try lifting the cover while applying power. Might get it to engage for a cycle so you can access it underneath.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:38 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The first step is to stand outside the coach at the steps, get out a flashlight and look around under the step. The new smartphones are great for getting into hard to reach areas and snapping some photos. You may have broken a pin, or a corkscrew type gear came loose. Unless someone specifically knows what was used in your coach, you need to do some investigation.

Temporarily, you may have to remove the cover and go without it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:51 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_H View Post
Headed out today for our first trip of the season. Noticed when leaving the step cover in front of passenger seat would not come up. When pressing the button I can hear the motor running but no moment on the steps. Is there by chance a sheer pin or something similar on the motor shaft broken or loose not allowing the gear to move? Never dealt with the step cover before and not really sure where to begin first. Do you have to access from underneath the coach? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. TIA

Dave
Dave, I had an ‘05 KS and had the same problem. The casing on the actuator for the step cover had a tendency to split open, allowing the gears to unmesh. You can repair it temporarily with a hose clamp or two, but ultimately you will have to replace the actuator. To get to it, you can actually lift up on the step cover and since the gears aren’t engaged, it should pull straight up with a little effort.

Pic is sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB19B959-EBAE-4CEE-BD0F-2AA377881631.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	331832  
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Probably need a new motor. The motor and gearbox is one contained unit.
Try lifting the cover while applying power. Might get it to engage for a cycle so you can access it underneath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Dave, I had an Ď05 KS and had the same problem. The casing on the actuator for the step cover had a tendency to split open, allowing the gears to unmesh. You can repair it temporarily with a hose clamp or two, but ultimately you will have to replace the actuator. To get to it, you can actually lift up on the step cover and since the gears arenít engaged, it should pull straight up with a little effort.

Pic is sideways.
I seem to be unable to rise steps up to access actuator. Pulled quite hard while also having wife activate switch but no luck getting them to come up. I can see the actuator behind gap between the bottom step and riser. Am I going to need to remove the riser to gain access? It appears if I lift up the rubber glued down mats on steps, there are several wood screws that hold step riser in place which may allow me to get to the linkage and actuator area. Am I missing sometime or any better ideas? Thanks for the help.

Dave
Old 06-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Dave, if you are able to see the actuator, it may be possible to get a wrench in there to remove the bolt affixing it to the step mechanism. That's the only other thing I can think of.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Look up linear actuator, about $40. Choose the length and speed that you want. I have to look up the paperwork on the one that I ordered and get the specs. I think it was a 900N speed.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
Look up linear actuator, about $40. Choose the length and speed that you want. I have to look up the paperwork on the one that I ordered and get the specs. I think it was a 900N speed.
This is the information that I have on the step actuator. The linear actuator without a name is the replacement one that I bought, $33 + shipping. The other one is the original. The other two photos are of the step and actuator and the mount. Without cutting a hole in the lower piece of the step-cover, I do not see a way to get a wrench on the attachment bolt to free the actuator. Others may have a better technique.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2407.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	331978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2408.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	331979  

Name:	IMG_2411.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	331980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3279.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	331981  

rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #9

Thank you all for the suggestions and information. I will try working on it when I can after we get home. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks again.

Dave
Old 06-17-2021, 08:49 PM   #10

Took a look at it after arriving back home. I was able to access the actuator by pulling back a bit of the glued on rubber step cover and removing 5 screws holding the bottom riser on. There was a lot of tension on the two bolts holding the actuator in place which would not allow me to move the steps up or down manually. Removed actuator and I could easily rise and lower steps manually. Actuator would extend and retract when not connected to the steps but when reconnected, steps would not operated as should and would get stuck in either the up or down position. Ordered new actuator for $43.00 and pretty certain this will solve my issue. BTW, crazy range in prices for these things from $40's to $200 plus basically for the same unit. Thanks again for the suggestions and info.

Dave

Tags
cover