Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Just saw this and was planning to leave on a 200 mile trip tomorrow. This tire is four years old and has less than 10,000 miles on it. Is it safe to use for a short trip until I can have it looked at/replaced?Attachment 257899
I’ve read through most all the posts in this thread and know you have replaced the tire and agree with most that. As an owner of a fleet of 40 trucks I can tell you that tire is failing so agree you did the correct thing to replace both steer tires. Tires should always be replaced all the way across the axle. The only exception is due to damage of a relatively new tire. I was about to ask the manufacturer date but I noticed you stated it was a 2014 tire so roughly 5 years old. Definitely premature failure. Also there was a comment about that being the strongest part of the tire and they wouldn’t worry about it. You are correct about being the strongest part of the tire but tires do fail with that kind of damage. If you notice the checking in the area that tells me it is a failing tire and not due to impact damage. This could be from under inflation and heat but I’m thinking just a bad tire. Personally I would never run tires more than 6-7 years old on my coach and especially not on the front. Not worth the damage caused by a blow out. Depending on tire size you are talking $400-$1000 for a tire but if it blows you most likely be looking at additional ost up in the thousands plus you still need a tire. I had one blow on the front of one of my big trucks and cost over $10,000.00 not including the lost time on the side of the road and having a truck down for several weeks. Sorry for the rant but I take tires very serious and all RV’ers should to. Good travels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2019, 04:28 PM   #44

You say the tire is 4 years old and I have to assume that was when you bought it. However, you might want to check the actual manufacture date code on the side of whatever tire you buy to replace it because the tire you buy today may have been in a warehouse for quite some time. Also, if you leave your RV outside, you may want to put covers on to help lessen sun damage. If those tires are really only 4 years old and you have not allowed the sun to beat on them all of that time, I would change brands.
New to this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bad tire

1 mile @5 MPH OR LESS
Mvkingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Aerospace 303 protectant is free of oil and silicone

Also use it on my slide seals and many other items

Used it on tires that are over 10 years old now which all look new and are stored outside

They are deep black and shiny looking like new

You do need to know what products contain and what benefits they can provide and where they can be used safely
I totally agree ! 303 is a great product, have used it several years.
The tire shown in this post would send me to the nearest tire store !

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #47

Use them or lose them.

10,000 miles in 4 years = dry rot. Add tire shine chems, makes it worse. Tires need to roll frequently to stay pliable. I only drive about half that a year and change ALL my tires every 4 years.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #48

My closest tire shop is 2.5 miles, 5 minutes away including stop lights. That’s as far as I’d go, and I’d be going slower than the speed limit at that.
RamblingRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:50 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
I’ve read through most all the posts in this thread and know you have replaced the tire and agree with most that. As an owner of a fleet of 40 trucks I can tell you that tire is failing so agree you did the correct thing to replace both steer tires. Tires should always be replaced all the way across the axle. The only exception is due to damage of a relatively new tire. I was about to ask the manufacturer date but I noticed you stated it was a 2014 tire so roughly 5 years old. Definitely premature failure. Also there was a comment about that being the strongest part of the tire and they wouldn’t worry about it. You are correct about being the strongest part of the tire but tires do fail with that kind of damage. If you notice the checking in the area that tells me it is a failing tire and not due to impact damage. This could be from under inflation and heat but I’m thinking just a bad tire. Personally I would never run tires more than 6-7 years old on my coach and especially not on the front. Not worth the damage caused by a blow out. Depending on tire size you are talking $400-$1000 for a tire but if it blows you most likely be looking at additional ost up in the thousands plus you still need a tire. I had one blow on the front of one of my big trucks and cost over $10,000.00 not including the lost time on the side of the road and having a truck down for several weeks. Sorry for the rant but I take tires very serious and all RV’ers should to. Good travels.
X2.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #50

No No No, chance for a blow out is 100%. Side wall is the weakest part of the tire!
WHOOVER770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #51

If you are questioning the safety, don't drive on it. I wouldn't even drive it to a tire shop. Look carefully at the rest of the tires.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #52

This is a pic of a blowout we had on our way to Dayton, OH from Harrisburg on July 11, 2019. Tires were original to our 2017 Phoenix 5th, built in 2016, tires constructed late 2015. The tires were inspected the morning we left, pressures on spec.

We were fortunate in that everything was well balanced and stayed in alignment afterward with no one hurt and the only other damage being the curb side fender of the 5th being blown off.

Bite the bullet and replace the tires as necessary. The safety of you and family are everything.

Regards.
Herve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_193843.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	258798  
Herve Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #53

Ditto, good call to replace.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:31 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Like others have indicated, I would replace immediately.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:06 AM   #55

Only if it was check out time and wanted to pay no heed to the mess being left behind and then too only down an old desolate desert road!

A stitch in time saves nine as the old ditty goes and if that gives at normal operating speeds there will be lots more damage depending where that donut sat on the rig, from panels damaged along with infrastructure like gas, water, electric to total loss due to a flip or a flop
Old 09-02-2019, 06:09 AM   #56

Damaged Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Just saw this and was planning to leave on a 200 mile trip tomorrow. This tire is four years old and has less than 10,000 miles on it. Is it safe to use for a short trip until I can have it looked at/replaced?Attachment 257899
No way would I ride very far. Looks like a Maypop branded tire!
geneb28532 is offline   Reply With Quote