Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2021, 04:26 AM   #1

Helwig front sway bar

Hi all. I have a 2018 Baystar3406. 22000gvw. I added Sumo springs all around a trac bar, and rear sway bar. It all helped some. My front end still moves around. Will adding a helwig front sway bar help significantly ?
toyman9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2021, 04:35 AM   #2

If you do the CHF , Cheap Handling Fix, it tightens up the front anti sway bar.

Try it for nothing but a little labor moving, some bolts and see how it handles.

There are many posts about doing it. Search CHF.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:41 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I feel that it helped mine, have done the same. Sumo springs, Trac bar and front and rear Helwig sway bars. I had a safety steer but removed it because of how it handled on curves. Now that it handles good even with passing semis I'm going to put it back on.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:15 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman9977 View Post
Hi all. I have a 2018 Baystar3406. 22000gvw. I added Sumo springs all around a trac bar, and rear sway bar. It all helped some. My front end still moves around. Will adding a helwig front sway bar help significantly?
Help with erratic front movement? It will help some as a minor secondary function but not a whole lot. First check/set tire pressures either based on your normal loading or what Ford recommended on the incomplete vehicle sticker if you not sure how much the coach weighs. I found that once cold pressures got much over 7 to 10 pounds beyond recommended max for axle weight limits the coach is a hand full to hold lane position.

Next try to tighten up the steering box. Go here for details - https://youtu.be/wJd5WXKU2uI. Small adjustments if you do attempt.

CHF would be worth a try along with a checking toe in measurement. Anything else and you're spending money.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #5

Front sway bar was the last thing I added to my Workhorse after adding just about every other suspension gizmo there is and I was surprised what a big difference it made. That, and the Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer, made a big improvement for me. I was never fully satisfied with the way my coach drove until then.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:07 PM   #6

front sway bar

I think the overhang on a 22000 gvw is just too much. A longer wheel base would help. I was just wondering if I should spend more money. The front just seems to roll and kinda dips especially on crowned roads . CHF didnt do much. Hard to tell if the Sumos do much either. The trac bar with the extra sway bar seem to have helped the rear pretty much.
toyman9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman9977 View Post
I think the overhang on a 22000 gvw is just too much. A longer wheel base would help. I was just wondering if I should spend more money. The front just seems to roll and kinda dips especially on crowned roads . CHF didnt do much. Hard to tell if the Sumos do much either. The trac bar with the extra sway bar seem to have helped the rear pretty much.
Looks to me you have a 220" wheelbase and your coach is 419" long. That's a 52.5% ratio, which is not too bad. If you were under 50% I'd say maybe you're right, but I'm betting that an aftermarket front sway bar would do it for you. Do try the cheap handling fix first though. Mine is still a big barn in wheels, but the front sway bar stopped a lot of the roll and actually makes the coach feel more like a pick-up Make no mistake-- it's still a big box and it still rolls a bit, but it's not unsettling to me like it was before and I don't feel like I have to lean in to the crown of the road.

Just FYI, my coach is 405" long with a 208" wheelbase, which is 51.35%, so you're better than me, and mine is now a joy to drive except when the winds are gusting over 30 mph.

Tags
sway, sway bar