Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 04:38 PM   #1

Here's a good one for you.

Not sure if this is a Workhorse problem, a Winnebago problem or just a problem so I posted here.

So, when towing the car, hit the brakes and the backup monitor goes on. If the turn signal is also on the monitor goes on and off with the turn signal. Doesn't do that if toad isn't hooked up to MH. Lights on toad work as they should. I have a diode block to isolate toad and MH wiring. Checked the diode block and appears to be good. Even if it was bad it shouldn't affect the backup camera. There is no connection between the MH backup lights and the toad.

I checked the wiring on the toad. I took the connector on the back of the MH apart. Cleaned up the connections, trimmed a few wires back. Replaced the ring terminal for the ground connection. So I'm pretty sure it's not a wiring issue.

Checked the input to the backup monitor, 3 wires. One is ground, one is 12v when ignition is on. Third is 12v when shifted into reverse. Third also goes to ~5v to 6v when I hit the brakes, only when toad is hooked up. So there is some feedback between brake lights and backup lights when toad is hooked up. Maybe because of increase in current load.

Another symptom, probably related, is the fuse for the turn indicator blew multiple times when towing. Never happened when not towing.

Okay, there you have it. Only thing I can think of is multi-function switch on steering column. Not sure if it's involved with backup lights but don't know where else to look. Have heard of problems with it on the Workhorse chassis.

Have it guys, thanks for any input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 04:46 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know if the turn signal control w has anything to no with your problem but though I would let you know I just changed mine on a W20D chassis and it was very straight forward. Took 15 minutes.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Not sure if this is a Workhorse problem, a Winnebago problem or just a problem so I posted here.

So, when towing the car, hit the brakes and the backup monitor goes on. If the turn signal is also on the monitor goes on and off with the turn signal. Doesn't do that if toad isn't hooked up to MH. Lights on toad work as they should. I have a diode block to isolate toad and MH wiring. Checked the diode block and appears to be good. Even if it was bad it shouldn't affect the backup camera. There is no connection between the MH backup lights and the toad.

I checked the wiring on the toad. I took the connector on the back of the MH apart. Cleaned up the connections, trimmed a few wires back. Replaced the ring terminal for the ground connection. So I'm pretty sure it's not a wiring issue.

Checked the input to the backup monitor, 3 wires. One is ground, one is 12v when ignition is on. Third is 12v when shifted into reverse. Third also goes to ~5v to 6v when I hit the brakes, only when toad is hooked up. So there is some feedback between brake lights and backup lights when toad is hooked up. Maybe because of increase in current load.

Another symptom, probably related, is the fuse for the turn indicator blew multiple times when towing. Never happened when not towing.

Okay, there you have it. Only thing I can think of is multi-function switch on steering column. Not sure if it's involved with backup lights but don't know where else to look. Have heard of problems with it on the Workhorse chassis.

Have it guys, thanks for any input.
We had the same issue with our 2001 Adventurer on the Ford chassis. In our case it was the connector at the rear of the motorhome. It turned out the rear of the socket (facing the front of the motorhome) was not sealed properly. When it would rain water would get in the socket and short several of the wires together. I also suspected the turn signal switch, but had to replace the socket because of the rust and water damage.

When I replaced the socket and plug and sealed the wire inlet ends with shrink tube the problem went away and never returned. We changed from the original 6 wire setup to the 7 wire setup because the wire inlet ends on the 7 wire plug and socket were easier to seal. A plug and socket cost less than $25.00.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:20 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my Ford chassis my camera goes on when in reverse. However the sweet deal is that when I'm pulling my Toad I turn it on and it remains on the entire time I'm towing. I can glance up and monitor my Toad anytime I please, which is quite often as I do so every time I check my mirrors. I don't know why you'd have it any other way. JMHO
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

Hikerdogs, it's not the connector. I unwrapped it pulled wires loose, it was pretty clean. If it was a short in the connector it should happen even when the toad isn't hooked up.

Shaky, I could turn the monitor on all the time, I just typically don't. Even if I do that doesn't fix the problem, just hides one of the symptoms. I'd really like to know what it is and fix it.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Hikerdogs, it's not the connector. I unwrapped it pulled wires loose, it was pretty clean. If it was a short in the connector it should happen even when the toad isn't hooked up.
70ChevelleSS
If the problem is "not in the connector" on the motor home it most certainly is in the "umbilical cord" used to connect your toad ...or in the "tail/break/turn signal wiring of the toad".
Good luck
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #7

You may have a ground issue between the tow and towed vehicle. Connect a jumper wire between a CLEAN spot on each vehicle frame and see if the problem goes away.
Lynn
Old 09-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #8

Wiring issue

if it is a 7 wire connector the center terminal may well be connected to the reverse lights and it is feeding back thru that turning on the monitor depending on the vehicle some cars have circuit boards on the tail light assembly and some newer cars are processor controlled and control switching thru a relay and feedback can cause very strange results if you can provide year make and model I may be able to help
Hansonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
70ChevelleSS
If the problem is "not in the connector" on the motor home it most certainly is in the "umbilical cord" used to connect your toad ...or in the "tail/break/turn signal wiring of the toad".
Good luck
Well since the toad to MH connection is does not include any wiring for the backup lights. No matter what happens between the two I see no way for it to affect the backup circuit of the MH. Only wires going to toad are right, left, brake and lights. 4 wires, that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
You may have a ground issue between the tow and towed vehicle. Connect a jumper wire between a CLEAN spot on each vehicle frame and see if the problem goes away.
Lynn
Been there, done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansonclan View Post
if it is a 7 wire connector the center terminal may well be connected to the reverse lights and it is feeding back thru that turning on the monitor depending on the vehicle some cars have circuit boards on the tail light assembly and some newer cars are processor controlled and control switching thru a relay and feedback can cause very strange results if you can provide year make and model I may be able to help
6 wire connector and only four leads connected. Ground, right, left and lights.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #10

Well I finally got around to working on this problem again. In the meantime I installed a set of headers, had a broken stud and exhaust leak. Also cleaned and sealed the roof. So it was time to beat my head against the wall again with this problem.

All the lights worked properly, lights, turn indicators and brakes. I noticed that when checking things the toad lights were dim compared to the MH lights. Sounds like a ground problem to me. I had already checked the ground connection at the MH chassis, the MH connector and the car chassis. So I hooked a set of jumper cables between the MH chassis and toad chassis and the lights were much brighter but the fuse for the turn indicators/backup lights blew instantly when I put it in reverse.

Well I decided to replace the connector on the back of the MH. I looked at it before it seemed fine but for 9$ it was worth a shot. While hooking up the new connector I checked the wires with a meter to make sure they were hooked up properly. Winnebago decided that 4 yellow wires labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4 plus the ground and electric brake controller wire was a good idea.

So, the right turn, left turn and tail lights were connected properly to the MH connector. The ground wire was connected to the lug for the electric brake controller. The wire for the brake controller was connected to the Aux lug and the wire from the backup lights was connected to the ground lug.

Just assumed that the wires in the MH connector were correct since all the lights worked properly, although dim. So it all works like it should. The backup camera/monitor comes on when in reverse. Doesn't come on when applying the brakes and no fuses blow.

So now to reseal the edges of the roof at the gutter. Install some LED strip lights under the inside cabinets. Maybe do some cleaning of the outside if the weather permits then put it to bed until January.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:02 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Well I finally got around to working on this problem again. In the meantime I installed a set of headers, had a broken stud and exhaust leak. Also cleaned and sealed the roof.
Glad you got the problem figured out. But dang, the other repairs sounded a hell of a lot more serious (despite your casually mentioning them which made them sound like a routine maintenance item!) I assume your talking about headers on the engine . . .
Old 10-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update they are important for those who may do a search of the subject in the future.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
Glad you got the problem figured out. But dang, the other repairs sounded a hell of a lot more serious (despite your casually mentioning them which made them sound like a routine maintenance item!) I assume your talking about headers on the engine . . .
No, new engine headers is not routine maintenance. Tough job which is why this problem took a backseat for awhile. I did post in Workhorse forum the challenges of the install.