Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

Here's one for ya!

Hey Gang,
While camping in Williams AZ this last few days, a nice fella and his wife pulled in a few spots down from us in this, a 1977 24' Barth. That thing was almost flawless. All they had to do when they bought it, for a mere $3,500 quite a while ago, was drop a new 350 Chevy into it. It's been all over the U.S.

He commented that he had the 40 gallon water tank removed 'cause it cost him too much in fuel mileage. So now, he and his wife just improvise. How, I don't have a clue. One needs WATER if you're going to dry camp. But, anyway, take a look, neat old machine.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 12:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It almost looks like a cartoon RV... all boxy But you're right, it looks like it's straight off the showroom floor. Thanks for sharing!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:18 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So, why not leave the tank and only carry 10 gallons or so? His story doesn't make any sense at all.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
That is a true Classic!! Nice!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
So, why not leave the tank and only carry 10 gallons or so? His story doesn't make any sense at all.
Exactly. Water weighs the same whether in a jug or in a tank. I would definitely want the option.

Nice looking rig though for its age
gateaux01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Well Sir,
I guess it doesn't have to make sense to you, it only works for him and his wife. He claimed it cost him too much power and, too much in gas mileage. I(we) sure as heck wouldn't live/travel like that. In our last coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V, our water tank was right at 100 gallons. Multiply that times 8.35 lbs. per gallon and, you have over 800 lbs. of water. And, 75 gallons of fuel (gas) at 6.18 lbs. per gallon and you have, over 463 lbs.

Our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, carries 90 gallons of water and 100 gallons of diesel. The point is, it costs, in many ways, to have all that convenience. To him, and his wife, apparently the convenience and necessity of having water readily available, is over powered by fuel mileage and power. Oh well, no biggie. If it works for him and his, that's all that matters.
Scott
Old 07-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's one for ya!

Well Scott, you're right, someone did a fine job on that one! Of course, he is free to prioritize his problems in any way he sees fit. But I'm another that is curious about some of the information. According to the Barth brochure of the day, that beauty of an antique grosses out at 12300 Lbs, which means that 40 gal of water only represents about 2.5% of gross weight. Likely wouldn't affect the fuel mileage enough to notice on a regular basis. Of course, she also left the factory with a 35 vice 40 gal water tank, and a 454 engine. So maybe he 86'd the tank to save weight because he underpowered her by hanging a 350. But why go to the bother of actually pulling the tank? Lot of work, when he could have just stopped using it. Strange.

Anyway, sure is a beaut!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #8

Scott no accounting for others logic. Friend who was an engineer took tank out of his trailer for more storage room and "less weight" what he put in that space was more than 8lb per gal but he could carry what he needed He carried 3 five gal jugs go figure. Oh yes he rode a BMW
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

From that vintage the tank was probably galvanized steel and if so, due for a change. I would have gone back in with a plastic tank of equal or more capacity if at all possible.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #10

I guess that if I were so concerned about weight, I would put myself on a diet! I hope that he and his wife were real skinny, because that would be a somewhat easy way to save weight.
As they say, different strokes for different folks. It wouldn't be my choice, but I am not him.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #11

i don't like to boondock like my companion does so i'll tell my companion the tank needs to be removed for a reason other than i don't want to dry camp. years ago one of my grandparents said their spouse couldn't turn on the car radio because it wastes gas. i was about 10 years old and managed to figure out with the help of a teacher how much load the radio uses. when i told my grandparents my findings and that the radio could run until the wheels fall off for almost nothing in regards to gas use or wear and tear on components i got a shut the %$#@^ up reply from one of them.
lilchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:21 PM   #12

Here's one for ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
...He commented that he had the 40 gallon water tank removed 'cause it cost him too much in fuel mileage....

That is, without a doubt, one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. For a few extra pennies in gas you're going to go without water?

Sorry...that's just nuts.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nice rig. carry bottle water, showering at campground. It doable.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #14

Gang,
In the conversation with him about his rig and his travels, he stated he was a retired Marine and, he would stay in as many military base campgrounds, across the nation as he could, based on his travel direction(s) and, whatever itinerary he and or his wife had. Apparently most of them have hookups so, the need for carrying water was minimized by that fact. The camp we were at, is a dry camp with no hookups but, has centralized water faucets that you can use at your leisure and carry some back to your site.

As everyone has said, everyone has to prioritize what's of importance. Water, to me and or us, is close to the top of the priority list. No one can be sure they won't break down some place, in the middle of no where and might have to be there for a few days, based on what's broke. So, SURVIVAL is pretty much a top priority!
Scott