Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Hi Yall

I bought a 1998 tradewinds motorhome. We started in tents. Then had a pop up. Then numerous bumperpulls, a toy hauler and last a fifth wheel , but never owned a motorhome. I know very little about motorhomes. That’s when I found your wonderfull website. I have learned an awful lot just by reading all your posts. Haven’t posted till now. I priced the rebuild kits for the leveling jacks, from camping world, they wanted over a hundred dollars each. After reading on Irv2, I tackled it myself and replaced all the seals in all the jacks for around $60 total. I found the seals at a local mechanic/hydraulics shop. One of your posts talked about the thermostats in a cat 3126 and said a freightliner place wanted $500 to change them. I did it for $35 in about an hour. Your website has been invaluable! I also read where someone else Had the same problem I am now having, in that his speedometer would jump and the tranny would shift wrong. I am about to try cleaning the electrical plugs on the engine with contact cleaner. Can’t wait to see if you all got that right too. Just wanted to say a big thank you to all yall from Amarillo Texas.
kirkusfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome kirkusfixer to irv2.com!

We're so glad you found us. Yes, there is a ton of information already in the posts, but the best thing is that if you don't find what you are looking for - just ask! There are so many people on this forum with so much RV knowledge it is scary sometimes!

Look forward to reading about your journeys with your new motor home.

If I may make a suggestions, your signature on a post is a great way to spell out what your rig & toad is, so that people won't have to keep asking what you have. Go to the User CP at the top of any page, click on it, then scroll down a bit until you see the section Settings & Options on the left margin. Click Edit Signature and then compose your signature. It is automatically added to each post you send.

Happy Travels.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Thanks

thanks for the suggestion. changed signature, sort of wondered how you did that.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are these Power Gear jacks?

The one dealer I've contacted up here in Canada, quoted me $170 per rebuild kit !
Old 08-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
yes, they are power gear jacks. An earlier post had a quick link to the manual on how to rebuild and we found the parts at a local hydrolics shop here in Amarillo. It is Utility Equipment Repair, 806-376-6655. Camping world wanted $112 apiece for the kits, so we felt this was a much better alternative. This is DW responding, so I'll see if Kirkus can send the link when he gets off work. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Noticed you had a Dolphin, we have Tradewinds by same mfr. so are probably same jacks.