Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

High Combined Weight Question

We are searching for a Class A that will be asked to serve a wide range of tasks. Due to the need to tow significant weights we have already eliminated gas coaches and are focused on pushers. The decision between new and used will likely be made based on used availability once we can’t stand to shop any longer. But we are not in a hurry as of now. We can wait for the right second hand unit if they are out there.

We will use the coach for traditional purposes like vacations as well as for business purposes. On the low side I anticipate 30k miles annually and in a good year that could reach into the 60-70k range. As we need a trailer for the business roles we will most likely use the same trailer to tow our vehicle at other times. And that is where my question lies. It seems from what I am seeing the majority of pushers with a single rear axle have a towing capacity of 10k pounds and a 50% gain with a tag. That extra 5k would be a very big deal to me in how we will use it.

But, it also appears that coaches with tags are generally over 40’. The diminishing return for the extra towing capacity becomes very real as I need to shorten the trailer appreciably to stay under 65’.
Does anyone know any manufacturers that “specialize” in higher combination weights in shorter (38 to 40 feet) coaches?

I suppose in a perfect world I’d be doing a bus conversion but that isn’t happening. Our budget currently sits at $200k but could be adjusted should we find the perfect fit. Of course 200k isn’t going to get me anything new with a tag I expect.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
David Maynar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.

Check out the website Race, Drag cars, Trailers and Engines for sale | RacingJunk Classifieds for rigs that are designed to pull larger trailers. they are called toterhomes.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Search out a sub class referred to a Super C. They are built on a medium to heavy front engine diesel chassis with towing capacities reaching into the 20 lbs range. You'll normally see them under 40' lengths single drive axle while 45' with a tag are available.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #4

FWIW, We have a 44' tag coach and we tow a 26' (31' w/tongue) for a 75' overall length. Out son's similar rig is 77' long. In three years, we have never had an issue. In CA it's easy to get a $16 over length permit. I don't know why, but LEO's do not bother private RV's for length as long as they are not speeding or violating some other ordnance. I met three rigs in ST George last year that were over 80' long and had come from the east coast and neither one was stopped for length. I've talked to my insurance company regarding being overlength in the event of an accident, and they do not have a problem with it. If you are going to be towing a 10-15,000# trailer, you absolutely want a tag coach.

Edit: As to your weight question I weigh about 53,000 loaded with trailer. Our sons Mountain Aire w/ trailer is closer to 60,000. He has ordered a Newell that will come in close to 70,000# w/loaded trailer.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Diesel Pushers are beautiful...but like said above, for a real heavyweight chassis, you have a great option in the "Super C" market with Class 5, 6, 7 and 8 cab/chassis carrying the RV box.

Class 5 models are riding on the new(ish) lines based on the Ford F550 and Ram 5500...towing capacities start at 10,000lb.

Class 6-8 models are on cab/chassis, some with tag axles, from makers like Freightliner, IH/Navistar, and even Kenworth as your budget allows. Check out the Forums here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f16/

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Class 5 models are riding on the new(ish) lines based on the Ford F550 and Ram 5500...towing capacities start at 10,000lb.
I had one of these before my DP, it was on the F550. It was a hot rod. With 7,000 lbs behind it, it would very easily outrun my 400hp DP. Going through the Rockies, I never lost any speed at all, even when towing. I did not mention it due to him saying he was looking at 15,000 lbs. But there are some really big Super C models out there on Freightliner trucks that I bet would have no problem at all with that kind of weight.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Maynar View Post
We are searching for a Class A that will be asked to serve a wide range of tasks. Due to the need to tow significant weights we have already eliminated gas coaches and are focused on pushers. The decision between new and used will likely be made based on used availability once we can’t stand to shop any longer. But we are not in a hurry as of now. We can wait for the right second hand unit if they are out there.

We will use the coach for traditional purposes like vacations as well as for business purposes. On the low side I anticipate 30k miles annually and in a good year that could reach into the 60-70k range. As we need a trailer for the business roles we will most likely use the same trailer to tow our vehicle at other times. And that is where my question lies. It seems from what I am seeing the majority of pushers with a single rear axle have a towing capacity of 10k pounds and a 50% gain with a tag. That extra 5k would be a very big deal to me in how we will use it.r

But, it also appears that coaches with tags are generally over 40’. The diminishing return for the extra towing capacity becomes very real as I need to shorten the trailer appreciably to stay under 65’.
Does anyone know any manufacturers that “specialize” in higher combination weights in shorter (38 to 40 feet) coaches?

I suppose in a perfect world I’d be doing a bus conversion but that isn’t happening. Our budget currently sits at $200k but could be adjusted should we find the perfect fit. Of course 200k isn’t going to get me anything new with a tag I expect.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
HI David welcome to the forum; there are lots of 40' coaches used and new with a tag. Just to name a few;
Newmar
Tiffen
Monaco
Country coach
Fore travel
These are all good premium coaches, Aldo in the newer Allegro buses they have a 37' to 40' with a 15 K tow rating. Regards

https://www.google.com/search?q=nort...ysEZ12-f3lM%3A
Old 01-24-2017, 10:00 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Search out a sub class referred to a Super C. They are built on a medium to heavy front engine diesel chassis with towing capacities reaching into the 20 lbs range. You'll normally see them under 40' lengths single drive axle while 45' with a tag are available.
I agree..for what you want super c is the setup!
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:49 AM   #9

Here is a 40' with a tag, top of the line coach.
2006 Country Coach Intrigue 40 | Premier RV
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #10

Thanks for the advice

Sorry for not saying thanks earlier, it was a very busy week for me.

We will be attending a show in April and hopefully get a chance to investigate the Super C's in some detail. In the meantime we are going to do a couple of factory tours (Entegra is first on the list) and try to learn as much as possible.

Thanks again.

D
David Maynar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Maynar View Post
Sorry for not saying thanks earlier, it was a very busy week for me.

We will be attending a show in April and hopefully get a chance to investigate the Super C's in some detail. In the meantime we are going to do a couple of factory tours (Entegra is first on the list) and try to learn as much as possible.

Thanks again.

D
If you are interested in the Entegra, here are some great youtube's to look at.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...BC71&FORM=VIRE
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Foretravel made some 38' tag axle coaches, very nice units very well built. Ideally I would have bought one of those and done a full remodel to modern standards.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #13

Super c's are made for the kind who f weight you want to tow and the length issues you might have. The issue will be cost...the higher end ones with true 20k towing capacity are quite expensive and likely not as readily available on the used market.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #14

Since I have just ordered a 2018 Renegade Verona Super C, I can say with certainty that you can get 20k towing capacity with 5,000 lbs OCCC, 150 gal water, 75 ea black and grey (for long trips and boon docking at the races) etc, etc and you can do it for just a bit more than you are budgeting. This is on a 37' (36'10" actually) single rear axle Freightliner M2 chassis and Cummins ISL9 350 HP 1000 lb power. PM me if you want to discuss.

Also, Renegade is in Bristol, IN not far from Entegra.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight