Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #1

High-flow diesel: how to avoid overflow?

I'm hoping maybe there's a trick to filling in the high speed pumps. With regular auto-type diesel pumps, I can set the fill, be doing something else, and when the tank fills up, the froth shuts off the pump without any overflow. There might still be room for a few more gallons once the foam settles, but the bigger issue is that when the nozzle clicks off, there's no spill.

When I use the high flow pumps, it fills, but the shutoff just isn't happening fast enough to avoid a small amount of overflow (not like a gallon or anything, just a few ounces, but enough to be less than tidy). This happens regardless of which side of my coach I fill from. Is there a trick to managing this aside from just standing there and constantly watching like a hawk once I think it's getting close to the full mark?

Thanks!

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #2

I have a 'rough' idea on how many gallong I am going to take, so I push fuel in fast until I get close to the gallons that I think that I need. From there I hold the nozzle and watch inside the tank. when it gets to the bottom on the neck I really slow down so the 'foam' can settle. With the larger tanks, 'high flow' is the only why to fill them.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Whenever I fuel at a high volume pump I have to stand right there and hold the trigger so that it's just cracked open a bit. I have to ensure the nozzle is in the fill tube as far as I can get it and I have to hold it at an upward angle. Otherwise, it will just shut off on me. Evidently the angle of the fill tube is enough that it causes fuel to back up in the tube and trigger the auto-shutoff.

I've heard other Beaver owners that have had the same problem.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #4

I agree, there is no trick. Knowing about how much you need is the quickest way to get to the result you want of a faster fillup with high speed pump, but at some point you will have to slow down for the last few gallons. There is a subtle change in the sound when mine is getting close, but still takes maybe 10 gal to fill to neck.
jtfcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Whenever I fuel at a high volume pump I have to stand right there and hold the trigger so that it's just cracked open a bit. I have to ensure the nozzle is in the fill tube as far as I can get it and I have to hold it at an upward angle. Otherwise, it will just shut off on me. Evidently the angle of the fill tube is enough that it causes fuel to back up in the tube and trigger the auto-shutoff.

I've heard other Beaver owners that have had the same problem.
On mine I can't use the high volumn auto fill - it keeps shuttin off so I have to do as Craig does and stand there and feed the fuel slowly so rarely use the truck side of fuel stations any more. I've looked for kinked hose but it appears the angle is just not right for the fast fill.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
KIX

Steve,
The solution would be to enlarge the fill pipe on your coach. Not a practical solution but the problem of filling the fill pipe too fast only has one solution for a given pump volume.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #7

I dump the bags and lean my coach to the passenger side and fill on the driver side. This seems to help mine. I NEVER fill on the passenger side.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Folks- you fill with high pressure: that creates a pressure in your tank, coupled that with the foam that is generated- slow the pump down, get a super brite flashlite- you will see the foam,
Thats why we fuel at Murphy-aka Walmart- low volume- we take up the whole place- but we don't get "baptized"
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #9

I open the fuel cap on the drivers side and fill on the passenger side. Allows for easy fuel fill up but allowing proper venting. Read about the tip on another rv forum. Works great....prevents the constant shutoff by the pump.
RVMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfcons View Post
I agree, there is no trick. Knowing about how much you need is the quickest way to get to the result you want of a faster fillup with high speed pump, but at some point you will have to slow down for the last few gallons. There is a subtle change in the sound when mine is getting close, but still takes maybe 10 gal to fill to neck.
Same here.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #11

The plus with these pumps is that you don't have to stand there very long, as they fill so fast. Your best bet is to just stand there and attend to the business at hand. When you are done, then do the other stuff you intended (clean the windscreen, check tires, etc.)

Lately I've noticed signs at the diesel pumps saying it is unlawful to leave the pump unattended and also some that say spills will be at owner's expense. These same places usually are a mess with diesel all over the ground. I keep latex gloves and paper towels in the door insert in my truck. No matter how careful I am, I usually have to wipe the side of my truck off, as well as the bottom of my shoes (due to other messy customers).
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There two (Times 2 it seems0 types of fuel pump nozzles, On gasoline pumps they are called "Type A" and Type B.

ONE of them...(The older style) even if the fuel flow stops there is still pressure against the lever. If you were to lock the lever open, then shut off the pump, soon as you re-start the pump fuel would flow, all over the ground.

This type of nozzle, if used at a self serve pump, will NOT have a lock open device, they are requried to remove it by the fire code.

The other type. when the fuel flow stops the valve releases and you have to fully release the handle to re-start flow..

Example of why you'd shut the pump off.. Pre-pay, 100 dollars, when it hits 100 it shuts off.

Thus some companies (I think JC Whitny had these) made a key ring tool (Tool with a hole to mount on a key ring) that was "Stair steps"

The lowest step or two might work.

Since it's your key ring, you wont' be pulling away and leaving the valve open for the next driver to spray fuel all over.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
one good thing about the credit card issue- 75 or 100 bucks- when it shuts off, it lets the foam disperse
I always wondered with dual fill ports, how many times you have both open and fuel comes out the opposite side?
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #14

Dual fill caution

Pulled into a fuel stop this summer and was alongside an obviously new rig. He had a large side-side tank with road and curb side fills. I began fueling mine and went to the front of my coach to look at the windshield. Suddenly I heard a noise and looked over. At first I thought it was water coming from somewhere but then realized he had fill nozzels in both sides. The low side had shut off but he continued to fill from the high side. Whatever the pump put out was running out the other side. I raced over and told him to shut down the filling. How long before he would have noticed on his own I do not know. The service center personnel were not happy. This is a heads-up for those that are in a big hurry to fill. I learned from anothers mistake. You now have that same opportunity.
cjkroodsma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel