Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Higher end diesel, 2004-2006ish

We are currently looking for our first RV - want to pretty much live in it for at least a year or two. Since full-timing, we want something comfortable but we are limited to around 100,000 so we need to stay with older models. We love the floor plan in the Winnebago Vectra and Itasca Horizon but are having some difficulty finding the one and are thinking we need to broaden our range. Any suggestions on models that would be somewhat equal in quality - comfort-wise and build-wise? We have been greatly disappointed twice now on rigs that we really liked - one the seller owed more than the value and the other the seller changed his mind and backed out on us. So we start again... We have spent so much time looking at Vectras and Horizons that I don't know where to begin as far as looking for similar quality. As to the floorplan - not many out there with a similar floorplan - I already know that, but I'm wondering which brands and models would be in a similar line of quality.

Thanks so much for any and all thoughts and suggestions!
RVer402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
KIX

AS you can see in the sig below I am partial. However, an '03 or '04 or even a super nice '02 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage or Freedom would be in the price you quote. Look ofr a 40' on a Spartan chassis with a Cummins engine.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
402..... Some coaches are made well enough, and with good enough materials , to withstand 24/7/365 usage. Many are not, and will start to wear and fail fairly quickly under the strain.

Go to www.rv.org and check out the RV Consumer Group. They rate all types of RVs on many factors, including intended usage. Their help was invaluable when we were shopping.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #4

Sent you a PM
rehtaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #5

Why not look at used units from high end builders up a bit from Winnebago.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Check the classifieds here, eBay, RVTrader, RVT.com, do a search using oodle.com for the price range you are looking for and see what's available. Newmar, American Coach are good values in most cases. JMHO Best of luck in your search. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer402 View Post
We are currently looking for our first RV - want to pretty much live in it for at least a year or two. Since full-timing, we want something comfortable but we are limited to around 100,000 so we need to stay with older models. We love the floor plan in the Winnebago Vectra and Itasca Horizon but are having some difficulty finding the one and are thinking we need to broaden our range. Any suggestions on models that would be somewhat equal in quality - comfort-wise and build-wise? We have been greatly disappointed twice now on rigs that we really liked - one the seller owed more than the value and the other the seller changed his mind and backed out on us. So we start again... We have spent so much time looking at Vectras and Horizons that I don't know where to begin as far as looking for similar quality. As to the floorplan - not many out there with a similar floorplan - I already know that, but I'm wondering which brands and models would be in a similar line of quality.

Thanks so much for any and all thoughts and suggestions!
There are many options in the $100,000 range. I would definitely consider a Newmar, Monaco, American, Country Coach or a higher end model on the many other Coach Mfg's.

I am partial to American due to their excellent customer service (I have bought 2 used American's and I get unbelievable customer support), but Newmar, Country Coach and Monaco all have great customer service from what I have seen on this forum. I am not saying other mfg don't have great customer service, I just don't know many who have owned the others or I haven't looked at them personally.

Here is some idea of one dealer search for used $90k-$110k asking price.

RVs for sale, New & Used motorhomes, New RVs, Texas RV Dealer
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Another site to provide data for you.

Diesel Motorhomes for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

My 2004 American Tradition would sell for under $100k and it's well upscale from the models you mentioned. Some additional candidates would be similar models from Country Coach, Newmars, Monaco Dynasty and Executive, maybe an Allegro Bus, and Winnie's Ultimate Advantage & Ultimate Freedom models. Widen your horizons a bit!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #10

Since you are looking at similar quality to Horizons and Vectras, I will recommend you do not look at Country Coaches, or you will not look at Horizons and Vectras the same way.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Since you are looking at similar quality to Horizons and Vectras, I will recommend you do not look at Country Coaches, or you will not look at Horizons and Vectras the same way.
Yep, don't look at Newmar's either for the same reason.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
This is an awesome forum! I appreciate all the input so very much. I think we definitely need to broaden our horizons. Additional input appreciated as well. Thanks to all who are willing to share.
RVer402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
RVer402: We were exactly where you are. Fell for the floorplan in the Vectra pretty hard. Just weren't as happy with anything else we looked at. There is a reason that the 2005 - 2006 (and even 2007 - 2008) Vectras are harder to come by: they are in demand. Just keep looking -- there is no harm in that. But when you find the one you REALLY like, be ready to move pretty quickly with your checkbook. When we were doing the test drive on the one we eventually bought, there was another couple behind us ready to buy it sight unseen. And another couple who had an appointment to see the coach that same afternoon. Whatever you do, make sure the search for the right coach is part of your adventure! Enjoy! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #14

Why is it that no one wanted to speak about the Fleetwood Revolution? 2002 to 2005 models would be in your price range. Solid wood cabinets, ceramic tile doors and much more. Solid Fiberglass roof, Freight Liner and Spartin chassis. I say this because the 2002 Revolution was our first and last Class A.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel